Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

millie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 5:47 pm

Quote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
Poke wrote:
I am merely an amalgamation of those I have have met and known.

I've sometimes suspected that's true of me too.

At school I was notorious for doing comic impressions of the most irritating teachers we had - nobody could do them as well as I could, so it helped my status.

Then I took to singing and seem to have a talent for sounding like certain famous singers - I did a recording of "Imagine" that one guy said sounded (in some places) so much like John Lennon that it was eerie. I'm not as good as Neil Innes though.

I can also do a lot of accents - in fact I lost my original Yorkshire accent because of my obsession with the Beatles, and, without deliberately trying, convinced a janitor in Cornwall that I was from Liverpool - he prided himself on being able to tell where visitors were from. After that I thought I'd best put a brake on my mimicry, as it was leading to awkward questions. But I still find myself picking up the bits of other people's style of speech that I like. My father was also quite adept at this art, and he had a number of Aspie traits too.

It's usually very intuitive, I never study it consciously. But I can't do every accent, and a lot of them I can only say a few words in before I get to a phrase I haven't heard before, and then it breaks down. So I have to be careful not to show off too much.

Pokes comment also resonates with me. it relates back to the "do you have a sense of self" thread, I started months ago. There, I described myself as a series of special interests and mimicked reactions and responses, cobbled together in a weird kind of way. I believe and sense of self I have, exists in relation to my special interests and not really in relation to people. I blur in relation to other people. Cannot find myself. I go into scripting, which is better the second half of my life than the first.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 2:24 am

millie wrote:
Pokes comment also resonates with me. it relates back to the "do you have a sense of self" thread, I started months ago. There, I described myself as a series of special interests and mimicked reactions and responses, cobbled together in a weird kind of way. I believe and sense of self I have, exists in relation to my special interests and not really in relation to people. I blur in relation to other people. Cannot find myself. I go into scripting, which is better the second half of my life than the first.

While I feel that I have a strong sense of self, I don't always have a strong sense of emotions. I've found that I have a tendency to absorb other people's emotions around me. I can be having a perfectly good day, for instance, but if someone close to me is having a bad day, it makes me feel that way as well. Is this what is meant by affective empathy?