Has anyone benefited from taking martial arts?

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 11:25 pm

I have taken martial arts...and they didn't help me....It was an annoyance to do that stuff after school. (grammar school)

Also, see the whole "get a gun" option.

AnAutisticMind
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Jul 2009, 11:18 am

anon0915 wrote:
i took many many years of multiple forms. i found it relaxing, structured, routine driven, and kept me in share without having to deal with the "team" stuff.

odd thing is, all my years of the arts were before i knew i had aspergers. it just felt right, that's all.

i enrolled my 7 yr old autistic boy in karate, he will not go through what i went through in youth

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 3:25 pm

LostAlien wrote:
Rocky wrote:
My brother gave members of my family informal lessons in kung-fu. I have also attended a few informal lessons by a room mate in Aikido. If you can get informal lessons, that would be best so as to avoid the problems mentioned above. The person giving the lessons makes all the difference. I would guess that the "softer" forms of martial arts would tend to have teachers who would be less likely to cause stress. Thai-chi would probably be the "softest" for example. It is more oriented to self development than for self protection, however.

You could learn what you could from watching educational videos, if need be.

I can recommend studying the martial arts from my limited experience. Practicing (even alone) is often better than stimming for achieving inner peace.

I've seen a tai-chi master and one of his students sparring, they were really fast. He explained that the movments of tai-chi were both calming for the mind and defensive (when the moves are well known). Though I did TaeQuanDo. Martial arts do make you feel more confident and change the way you move as well.

Though, I wouldn't do anything risky because of learning a martial art. My teacher always said that if you could avoid or escape the bad situation in the first place it's better, that the self defence was a last resort. We were taught a few moves to stun and run as well as other moves and patterns.

I know that Tai-Chi masters can be formidable in defending themselves. I got the impression that a beginner would take longer to achieve that than other forms of martial arts. I was amazed how quickly I learned a few practical methods of self-defense in Aikido,for example.

Odd_Duck
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jul 2009, 5:07 pm

I've studied Tai Chi (both Chen and Yang styles), Kung Fu (Northern Praying Mantis and Ba Gua Zhang styles), Judo, and Okinawan Karate (Goju Ryu and Shorin Ryu styles) for several years (currently studying Karate, Judo, and Tai Chi). I started for the fitness benefits (I'm 6'3", so self-defense isn't usually an issue), but love the mental aspects and have come to appreciate the self-defense applications too.

From a fitness perspective, the martial arts are probably the best all around training program you could design. They build strength, stamina, balance, coordination, speed, and flexibility. They have a focus on core strength which makes them great cross training for any other sport. They're fun, which makes them easy to stick with, and they don't require any special equipment.

On the mental side, I find them very calming, and a good antidote for the stress of work and life. Socialization in the Dojo is usually pretty low key, and there is always something (martial arts) to talk about, which helps. The fact that there is almost unlimited depth to the martial arts between history, theory, and practice, makes the martial arts great if you're looking for a new special interest. :) Testing can be a bit stressful, I think most people (Autistic or NT) get some performance anxiety, but this can be overcome.

My recommendation is to look for a school that feels right for you. If you have a good teacher, the martial art will be fun to study and you're more likely to stick with it. Some schools focus a lot on tournaments, which can really skew the experience. Some others let the senior students run rampant and make life miserable for junior students. Most schools that I've found have a nice focus though. Like most things in life, the more you put into it, the more you'll get out of it.

Good luck!

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 5:49 pm

Warsie wrote:
Also, see the whole "get a gun" option.
Black belts can chop 10 cinder blocks, but so can the automatic gunfire of AK-47's lmao.

I'm thinking of finding an MMA place. I don't really like traditional martial arts. Most places teach watered down versions, patterns are a waste of time to me, and I don't need to learn 720 degree tornado kicks.

legionsdad
Raven
Raven

30 Jul 2009, 6:26 pm

As far as effectivess, I would look up krav maga. You don't train with weapons, you are the weapon! Look it up on YouTube, It's pretty impressive.