Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 2:59 am

I'm either up for days or I sleep for 12+ hour stretches. There's no circadian rhythm with me at all. WHen I DO sleep, it's only because I'm drunk/high/knocked myself out somehow.

These are things I can't talk about with doctors because I can't admit to drug use or I'd lose my insurance. Thanks, America.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 3:49 am

I hate the feeling waiting to sleep, I had it most of my life, on school nights, but on weekends I can't keep my eyes open.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 2:41 pm

these days i get anywhere from 1 to 5 hours of sleep. but i sleep for 15 hours straight on the weekends.....on monday i am always chipper because i still have that buzz, despite being asleep for maybe 1 hour the night before......unhealthy habits esp. since i'm still a junior in highschool :/

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 3:41 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
I remember reading somewhere that there was once a sleep medication that was inserted in the rectum, right before bed. This would work really quickly, since it didn't have to go through the normal digestive route. I wish there were something like that around, now.

Erm, well, the sublingual melatonin works on the same principle.. but it dissolves under your tongue instead, so there's no unnerving/creepy factor..

j0sh wrote:
I take 20-25 mg of melatonin a night. It knocks me out, but doesn't keep me out. I usually wake up about 4 hours later and fight to get back to sleep until it's time to get up.

25mg?! I thought the max recommended dose of melatonin was 3 mg?? I was surprised to find the 5mg extra-strength stuff..

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

01 Oct 2009, 3:55 pm

Well growing up my mom was kinda lazy so she would let me go to sleep with the TV on which is a terrible habit. I can't sleep now without being stimulated somehow like that now either with a radio or TV. Mind wanders too much when I don't and I'd be up another 6 hours. I use to have trouble staying in a rhythm and getting to sleep but over last year I've done a lot better. Maybe I'm just growing out of that period but something I think helped was that I stopped drinking caffeine. I drank enough of it where I didn't get any energy from it. It did nothing for me. So once I got past the withdrawal( :x ) I actually ended up having more energy throughout the day and was able to get to sleep around the same time every night. My anxiety isn't nearly as bad anymore either.

ellenk55
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Oct 2009, 3:56 pm

Does anyone have any idea if sleep difficulties ar more common for AS individuals than NTs?

calis1981
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Oct 2009, 9:43 pm

ive always had trouble sleeping
only way i can sleep is through mental exhaustion
i read a lot of books to get that to happen
or ill play thinking games
or ill sit up all nite on the net post msg's, searching sites
sometimes it work
sometimes it dont
hate it when its a book i really like coz i force myself to stay awake so i can finish it, lol
if i dont finish it i spend the rest of the nite thinking "i wonder whats gonna happen next?"
thats means no sleep and a crappy mood the following morning

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 10:11 pm

Spazzergasm wrote:
i do. i think to much and cant stop shifting in bed. also i cant sleep until everyone else is asleep, because moving around and lights on outside of my door really irritate me.
during summer when there's no school, i usually get up at 4 pm and go to sleep at 6 am or so....i dont know if my rythm is off or something. but i really prefer staying up during the night. it's wierd, too. cause i love the daytime....maybe its because the night is secluded.

Yes me too, I love night-time where you can go about your activities uninterrupted. It is amazing how nobody bugs you at 5 in the morning!

Although my circadian rhythms are completely out of whack and I am trying very hard to fix my sleep routine. I also do not "know how" to turn down my thoughts and go to sleep. I can't relax at night and I've tried many things, prescription sleep aids, melatonin, and anything said to have a topographic effect e.g. honey......nothing really works for me. I was the one who posted a similar thread previously.

Much like the OP I was a bad sleeper from infancy. The majority of people with A.S and A.D.H.D supposedly have poor sleep hygiene/ trouble establishing a routine as infants/toddlers. I wonder the same thing as you OP......can people learn "how" to sleep.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 10:42 pm

My fiancee 'winds' down... for me to sleep at all, I have to 'wear' down.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2009, 6:40 am

I had a lot of problem sleeping when I was young. As I child I sleeped about 5-6 hours a day (my mum had many problem for that) and there were night when I wasn't able to sleep at all. Usually it doesn't happen to me now (I still sleep less than others).
By the way is AS typical having strange sleep behavior.

Something that helps (probably you all know that):
- Doing a lot of physical exercise. Your body will need more sleep and you'll feel more relaxed.
- Don't do physical activities at least for 3 hours before sleeping.
- Don't eat at least for 3 hours before sleeping.
- Do a sleaping ritual. For istance I watch for 30-40 minutes (enough to be bored), I drink a glass of water, I put on my pijama, I wash my teeth, I go to the bathroom, I put my shoes near my bed, I check every window and the door, I go to bed, put myself in a position and sleep. Actually If I can't do that I'll not sleep.

Having a particular ritual also helps my AS child.