Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

DavidK
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Oct 2009, 7:36 pm

Blindspot149 wrote:
Maybe George Bush did what he did BECAUSE he has Tourette's?

Well, he's a f**king c**t at least.

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 7:40 pm

normally_impaired wrote:
Climbing seems like more of an OCD thing than a Tourette's one, I know that TS and OCD are very simmilar, but there are plenty of differences between the two.

Not in our case. He went through extensive testing at a TS clinic in the hospital.

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 9:31 pm

I know alot of people who have TS it is pretty easy to distinguish from OCD and ASD most of the time. The tics are involuntary, and many people with TS try to hold them back. Even as blind as I am to body language, this is one of the few things I can figure out. My OB/GYN doctor, who oddly enough works in the office with a neurologist has TS. He appologizes alot for it even though it has never once bothered me.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 11:02 pm

normally_impaired wrote:
Like I said before, for the record, the swearing aspect is known as Coprolalia and it affects less tthan 15% of people with Tourette's Syndrome, which leaves the other 85% as being people who twitch and make weird noises but don't swear uncontrollably. Unfortunately the stereotype has already sunken too deeply into pop culture.

Some argue that AS is just the new ADD, the condition/symptom/...du jour.

I would agree that Tourette's probably is a part of the 'pop culture'; I have heard stand up comedians refer to it but I can't imagine anyone wanting to fake it :!:

Although they are perhaps less 'noticable' than Tourette's, I can't imagine someone wanting to fake AS ADD (ADHD is the du jour now).

If someone is faking them there is probably some kind of disorder at work somewhere.

There are even issues with the fakers, begging the question; 'Why not put that effort (and it is an effort) into earning an income :?:

Before anyone gets upset, I am talking about fakers who know they dont have any impairment and simply want a free ride or worse yet, think they are entitled to a free ride.

I expect I have made several errors in this posting as I have more or less typed what I was thinking as I was thinking it.......

Come to think of it, if in the context of the last sentence if any of this makes sense I will have done quite well. :wink:

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2009, 1:53 am

Throat clearing.

My father had a friend who was a staunch 'throat clearer'

He seemed to 'clear his throat' during every sentence.

I wonder if 'throat clearers' have 'mild' Tourette's :?:

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2009, 1:30 am

DavidK wrote:
Blindspot149 wrote:

Well, he's a f**king c**t at least.

Beautifully put :wink:

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2009, 7:37 pm

Blindspot149 wrote:
Throat clearing.

If it actually is something that he feels compelled to do frequently (for no physical reason), it could be Chronic Vocal Tic Disorder, but it can't be Tourette's unless he also has chronic motor tics. For Tourette's you have to have both chronic vocal and motor tics. For example, I have Chronic Motor Tic Disorder because I have multiple motor tics that drive me crazy all day long, but no vocal tics, thankfully.
Throat clearing definitely can be a tic though.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2009, 8:09 pm

AJY wrote:
Quote:

... you need to have a brain to have a brain disorder. George Bush has as much of that as a box of rocks.

As unwise as Dubya was he learned how to fly a military jet plane. That requires skill, concentration and an ability to integrate ones actions with one's environment. I can attest to this because I am a pilot (but not a jet pilot).

Can you fly?

ruveyn

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2009, 1:31 am

LostInSpace wrote:
Blindspot149 wrote:
Throat clearing.

If it actually is something that he feels compelled to do frequently (for no physical reason), it could be Chronic Vocal Tic Disorder, but it can't be Tourette's unless he also has chronic motor tics. For Tourette's you have to have both chronic vocal and motor tics. For example, I have Chronic Motor Tic Disorder because I have multiple motor tics that drive me crazy all day long, but no vocal tics, thankfully.
Throat clearing definitely can be a tic though.

There were definitely no motor tics so it sounds like a Chronic Vocal Tic Disorder.

My experience (with British people) was that 'throat clearing' is perhaps part of being aloof or to maintain the attention of those that you are talking too.

A director at a company I once worked for had the annoying (to me) habit of talking so quietly, when addressing subordinates (especially in groups) that it was a virtual whisper.

This clearly isnt a vocal tic and I suspect this was more of a control issue.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2009, 6:05 am

is there any reason that those with Tourettes are characterized as spewing out profanity at random--and I mean specifically profanity?

I mean....do they actually do that, or is it just a stereotype?

If they actually do it...why profanity, specifically?

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2009, 6:28 am

TheDoctor82 wrote:
is there any reason that those with Tourettes are characterized as spewing out profanity at random--and I mean specifically profanity?

I mean....do they actually do that, or is it just a stereotype?

If they actually do it...why profanity, specifically?

See earlier replies on this for your answers. Very informative.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2009, 6:47 am

Blindspot149 wrote:
normally_impaired wrote:
The swearing is the result of the brain involuntarily doing things that would normally be considered taboo. It's things that you would normally try to avoid that become the hardest to avoid.

If George Bush was to get Tourette's Syndrome would he become compasionate, rational and surrender to a war crimes tribunal? :idea:

any reason you just randomly decided to bring former President Bush into this?

If I want that, I'll go to any toy forum I normally visit...or just turn on TV...or listen to anybody who hasn't been alive for more than 20 years give me their "world knowledge".

This is a forum where I come for intellectual discussion, not just to hear some lame political jabs.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2009, 6:59 am

TheDoctor82 wrote:
Blindspot149 wrote:
normally_impaired wrote:
The swearing is the result of the brain involuntarily doing things that would normally be considered taboo. It's things that you would normally try to avoid that become the hardest to avoid.

If George Bush was to get Tourette's Syndrome would he become compasionate, rational and surrender to a war crimes tribunal? :idea:

If I want that, I'll go to any toy forum I normally visit...or just turn on TV...or listen to anybody who hasn't been alive for more than 20 years give me their "world knowledge".

This is a forum where I come for intellectual discussion, not just to hear some lame political jabs.

Do I detect just a tiny tad of resentment at my suggestion that you check with the earlier posts? (That's rhetorical)

For pure intellectual discussion you could try one of the Mensa forums, if you are a member.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2009, 2:21 pm

Were you the one that told me to check the earlier posts?

Sorry about that...I didn't realize it; I'll confess that around that time, I was near going to bed, so I didn't see who specifically posted it.

Regardless, no...just hearing cheezy political shots seems utterly beneath everyone here, especially since whenever I come here, I often am witness to some of the most intellectual, interesting discussion I've ever seen...and taken part in!

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 4:06 am

TheDoctor82 wrote:
Blindspot149 wrote:
normally_impaired wrote:

Despite the humour that some people might read into my previous post, it was a serious question.

I was responding to the information given in a previous post (shown above) claiming that Tourette's 'is the result of the brain involuntarily doing things that would normally be considered taboo'.

It seems that taboo could mean different things for different people.

I was therefore wondering if Tourette's can work in reverse.

The movie 'Liar Liar' comes to mind, where Jim Carey's character is suddenly incapable of lying and so he just blurts out the truth in a very (at times) AS way.

I will qualify all of this by stating that my 'knowledge' of Tourette's is mostly the result of 'Pop Culture' with the exception of a friend of my father who is a compulsive 'throat clearer'

Last edited by Blindspot149 on 24 Oct 2009, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 9:31 am

My TS vocalizations aren't words, so blurting isn't really an issue.

When I have a spasm in front of people I know, I usually say, "It's Tourette's, but I don't have the bark-like-a-dog kind, yet." (In front of people I don't know, I usually say nothing. Nothing at all. Excuse me while I move deeper into the corner...)