Page 2 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

CRB
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Feb 2006, 9:59 pm

For me, it is mice, rats, and bats. I am even afraid of mice and rats in a laboratory. Once I was in a classroom in college, and a bat was flying around and around in the romm--boy was I scared.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2006, 10:39 pm

Serissa wrote:
Ex-cutter needlephobe here! ((Like I should be proud of that, but I did say EX, and it's relevant to the topic))

Myself also.
Doesn't seem odd to me, to be put in panic by external attack yet able to calmly self-injure. Whether something's motivated from within or comes from an outside source, it's the gulf between voluntary vs. force.
I'm paranoid about my privacy in some ways, afraid of public places. Over-react in fear around people younger than 17, spiders & insects, going to dentist and doctor, plumbing difficulties/home disrepair, thinking about being dead, trying to imagine a future different than the present, bad-smelling bodily excretions, worrying that strangers hate me, worrying that people who do like me don't understand me. And so on.

Aspen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2006, 12:40 am

My major phobia used to be snakes of any kind. A snake scared me badly when I was little and the phobia grew from there. I could not go near any snake, no matter how harmless I told myself it was. Once I saw a real coiled cobra that was shaped into an umbrella stand (I guess) in a store and I had a serious panic attack. After that, I had systematic desensitization for the snake phobia. It was awful to go through but at least now I can pass the snake exhibit at the zoo without having a panic attack. I'm not getting a snake for a pet, though.

Ladysmokeater
Veteran
Veteran

Location: North of Atlanta, South of Boston, East of the Mississippi, and West of the Atlantic

13 Feb 2006, 1:11 am

uhm.... I think my neice described my irrational fears best like this.....

"Aunt {ladysmokeater}, why can you pick up a snake, run into burning buildings, repel off mountians and not run from scary stuff yet you cant handle a spider?"

lol. I have almost passed out at a *shivvers thinking about it* spider crawling on me yet I have had a gun leveled at my face more than once and not flinched..... something wrong here

I used to be scared of Kudzu too.... but I got over it.

(for those that are unfamiliar with Kudzu, it is a rapidly growing vine that has wonderful smelling purple blossoms in the spring and on can LITERALLY watch it grow. It has taken over large areas in the Southeast and is concidered a pest by most)

Aspen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2006, 1:52 am

Kudzu-Covered House

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2006, 3:20 am

Serissa wrote:

Actually, what I fear is VEINS. I hate them. I don't even like to look at wrists. ((One of the easiets ways to freak me out is to put pressure on the inside of one of my wrists. I've gone from major "touchaphobia" to beign kind of impervious to most "normal" annoyances but that enevr went away.)) So, I can handle intramuscular shots but getting my blood drawn or getting something injected into a vein creeps the f--- out of me.

Ooh, you wouldn't like my arms then. For a girl, I have lots of poke-out veins. And the thinner I get, the more they poke out. 8O
Also, I don't fear needles in the slightest, I actually GIVE blood. No problem at all.

I fear bumping into strangers, falling over and knocking myself out (have done it before), people writing nasty letters to me (the written word is harder to ignore than something said) and people I love getting hurt (I always wish it had happened to me instead).

QuirkyCarla
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2006, 4:15 am

Fear of change, even good change. I also seem to be afraid of all the things I want. :/ :(

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2006, 4:15 am

Scary stories, page 30. Makes my adrenaline levels go through the roof.

OTTILY
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Feb 2006, 7:50 am

I have a fear of getting lost. It's because of all the things around me that distract me from remembering important landmarks/things that I could use to retrace my steps. I get lost a lot, rationally I know that if the worst comes to the worst I can just phone taxi to come and take me home but my brain just wont recognise this fact and insists on making me have panick attacks in public :evil:
I can't go anywhere unfamiliar on my own or go on holiday which really really sucks.

odeon
Toucan
Toucan

13 Feb 2006, 8:59 am

My greatest fear is going blind. I'm absolutely terrified of something happening to my eyes.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2006, 9:52 am

Then i would not recommend watching happy tree friends "Eye candy"

odeon
Toucan
Toucan

13 Feb 2006, 10:05 am

Nomaken wrote:
Then i would not recommend watching happy tree friends "Eye candy"

:D

Eye see what you mean.

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2006, 10:05 am

Being trapped.

But I don't think it's irrational.

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2006, 7:34 pm

Everytime I see a spider I get really scared and almost faint and cry I dont know why.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2006, 7:46 pm

renaeden wrote:
Ooh, you wouldn't like my arms then. For a girl, I have lots of poke-out veins. And the thinner I get, the more they poke out. 8O
Also, I don't fear needles in the slightest, I actually GIVE blood. No problem at all.

I fear bumping into strangers, falling over and knocking myself out (have done it before), people writing nasty letters to me (the written word is harder to ignore than something said) and people I love getting hurt (I always wish it had happened to me instead).

That's one of the only things that I dislike about my less-fat body now then when I was really fat. Now my veins are kinda prominent in some places. -wince-

Geoffrey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Feb 2006, 10:31 pm

I've had necrophobia since I was a child too. I hate living but the alternative is even worse so what can one do? And no I do not believe in god or an afterlife or I would have given up long before now and killed myself.