Were your parents both engineers, physicists, or mathies?

Page 2 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 6:49 pm

My father was a civil engineer but worked mostly as a computer programmer for an architectural/planning firm. He was an ABT ( all but thesis-he never finished anything)

My mother got her masters in Latin but was a stay at home mom. She did teach English and Latin part-time when we were older. Her brother is a nuclear physicist.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 7:56 pm

My father is an engineer (as was his father, and his grandfather), but my mother isn't; she worked retail for a while, then was stay at home, and now does some light accounting.

Three years!

outlander
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Dec 2009, 10:06 pm

My father was so much like me that it is almost scary, but since he was born in 1902 there is no chance that anyone would have understood his aspiness. His brothers all did much better than him and were very technical. My father was mechanically gifted and worked in electronics such as they were back then. He never had the chance for the sort of education I got, he was the youngest of 10 children. It was recognized early that I had some sort of abnormality, but I flourished in that which was academic and went on to get a PhD in mechanical engineering. If you can handle the academics, being an engineer is a great aspie profession, Being a college professor used to be another great aspie profession before the Universities went whoring after research dollars and wanted all the professors to bring in vastly lucrative research grants. For that you generally have to be a gregarious glad-hander and it helps to be able to lie copiously with a straight face about all you are going to give in return for the grant money. Now engineering college professors are becoming a bunch of pompous glory grabbing stuffed shirts who could not engineer their way out of a wet paper bag. The ones who are not are generally loved by the students for teaching them something useful.

Uh, Well I did not really intend at the start to turn this out as a rant :oops: Sorry.

Back on topic, My best assessment was that my dad was substantially an aspie but since nobody understood what that was back then and I was too, he wasn't much help to me, but I survived and thrived in engineering and in teaching mechanical engineering specializing in mechanical design and some materials science.

Whisper
Toucan
Toucan

17 Dec 2009, 10:25 pm

Heh, both my parents are arties, or were in university at least. :lol:

Rain_Bird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Dec 2009, 12:26 am

Neither of my parents went to college and my dad can barely send an email or post an eBay auction without my mom standing there basically holding his hand while he's on the computer. My dad fixes cars for a living and my mom is a lab technician in a factory (which she never actually learned how to do, she just figured it out as she went and never so much as took a chemistry class in high school). My mom probably could have gotten a degree and had a decent career if she didn't have my dad holding her back, but she's planning on taking some kind of college classes eventually.

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 1:51 am

I guess I'm batting .500. My father had an electrical engineering degree. My mother's is in sociology. Both are/were hyper-intellegent.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 1:59 am

No - neither :lol:

My dad was a firefighter and police officer
My mom works for the Illinois state government, from parole work to working with nails for her history with ILDPR

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 2:34 am

My dad whos most likely aspie was not good at math. While my mom who is not aspie was the one good at math.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 2:57 am

My mom is a sort of career artist/housewife she went to art school...had trouble holding down a lot of jobs due to anxiety/emotional problems/ meltdowns...the jobs she did hold down were art-related...she was a portrait artist at Astroworld for a while, and also she worked for a number of years in the paper departments at a couple of different art supply stores.
She has said that she is sort of a math person...in some ways...of my 2 parents, she is the most AS-ish.

My dad comes from a family of architects and engineers. When he was younger he worked at a few different firms as a draftsman...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_drawing
for several years...His (very AS-ish) dad was a chemical engineer for Standard Oil, which later became Exxon...His brother got a degree in architecture....but he eventually settled on a career selling high-end pianos...which he seems to be very good at.

Despite being a visual thinker, I am somewhat visually/spatially impaired and I have dyscalculea...so I would not make a good engineer....

It makes me feel very ret*d at times.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 3:13 am

Nope.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 3:34 am

None of my parents have a degree in anything. My dad got to the top in his field by experience and social networking (he was the manager/overseer of the roadworks section on our local council. When he started 40 years ago he was one of those labourers shovelling bitumen). My mum is a nurses aide but she only got qualified for that a few years ago. My brother's have the maths/engineering skills though. One is a surveyor and the other is a town planner. I'm a failing accountant :).

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 4:16 am

This is not a real news, there is a reason why many people call Asperger the "engenieer syndrome" or "nerd syndrome" and this is one possible reson for the high prevalence of Aspie in Silicon Valley.

By the way my mother is a language teacher and my father is a physician. But both have strong systemizing and math abilities.

I strongly agree with that theory, actually untill some decades ago, intelligent-techie-men married with "average" women. Now they try to match with women of their own working environment (60% of marriage is made that way now).

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 4:33 am

dad is currently a sheet metal worker, but worked on the oil rigs as a topdrive supervisor

stepmom is a supervisor at a nursing home and a part time hospital lab assistant.She used to be a teacher in the Philippines.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 7:09 am

Neither.

The year is still young.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Dec 2009, 8:16 am

My father is a math teacher (he's been teaching math for over 50 years now). My mother is a retired banker.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 8:50 am

My mother is a linguist and my father is a journalist.