Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 2:39 pm

So I made a fb group for Mormons with AS/Autism and if you have a fb, feel free to join.

You may also add Nali mikely, she is the creator of the group. :)

Hopefully this grows to a good resource. :D

Oh, and spread the word. :P

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 6:39 pm

I'm a Mormon. As for problems that I have there are a few small pieces of docterine that I don't feel are completely right, but I can live with them. I also have problems with the attitudes of a lot of the members, especially among those within Utah and it's crazy politics. Their views really don't fit with the message the church represents, and conflicts with my ethic views. They don't seem to get the deeper spirituality and are only going after emotional appeal or popular favor and superficial selfish religiousness. This problem comes not from the church itself, just Utah culture which is what caused my parents to leave the state in the first place.

Regarding missions, I know that in the past the bar was lower as one of my father's companions was mentally ret*d and I've overheard him saying some stuff about how the bar has changed. Part of me doesn't want to go on a mission as I'm somewhat afraid of whether or not I can manage for two years of doing that stuff without being able to do some other stuff, but part of me also wants to it as men who don't serve missions are frowned upon (even though the actual wording is that all "able and worthing males are encouraged to serve a mission" or something like that, most people overlook the able part), I want to help people through whatever way I can, the experience would be a chance of a lifetime, and I'm sure that if I can manage I'd improve my social and life skills after it is over. I guess I'll try to fight as hard as I can for them to let me through, but I'm not going lie about myself and if they won't let me through I'm not going to complain (too much, if I can't get a wife because no one will let there daughter marry a man who didn't serve a mission than I'll try to complain directly to the First Presidency if I can. )

Regarding the Aspie-Morom group, how do I join?

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

LunaUlysses
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Nov 2011, 7:50 pm

I've grown up in a very Mormon-populated town, and my family is all Mormon. I was raised as one, but stopped going to church when I was about 11 and one: started thinking for myself and two: couldn't stand how hypocritic all the other kids I knew were. I'd see them in Sunday School acting as if they were God's sent and the most perfect people ever, but then at regular school, they were cruel, mean, and selfish. Also, I did not get along with any of them very well since I was always off-the-wall, hyper, and asking weird questions.
The problem with many of the Utahn Mormons is the children are born into it and taught a certain way. However, they do not truly believe in it, or they only go to church or the things like that because their parents either make them, or they do not want to upset their parents.
What always bothered me the most when I ever do go to a meeting due to some family thing, and I'm there to support them, is everyone comes up and wants to shake my hand and all the women want to touch me on the shoulder or hug me. They give this fake smile on their face and exclaim "I'm so glad to see you!". Meanwhile, I'm trying to sit here and figure out just who the hell they are, and why are they glad to see me when they don't know me?

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 4:10 am

LunaUlysses wrote:
I've grown up in a very Mormon-populated town, and my family is all Mormon. I was raised as one, but stopped going to church when I was about 11 and one: started thinking for myself and two: couldn't stand how hypocritic all the other kids I knew were. I'd see them in Sunday School acting as if they were God's sent and the most perfect people ever, but then at regular school, they were cruel, mean, and selfish. Also, I did not get along with any of them very well since I was always off-the-wall, hyper, and asking weird questions.
The problem with many of the Utahn Mormons is the children are born into it and taught a certain way. However, they do not truly believe in it, or they only go to church or the things like that because their parents either make them, or they do not want to upset their parents.
What always bothered me the most when I ever do go to a meeting due to some family thing, and I'm there to support them, is everyone comes up and wants to shake my hand and all the women want to touch me on the shoulder or hug me. They give this fake smile on their face and exclaim "I'm so glad to see you!". Meanwhile, I'm trying to sit here and figure out just who the hell they are, and why are they glad to see me when they don't know me?

That's exactly why my mother despised Utah so much while she lived there. Both my parents lived traveling around the US (my dad was an Airforce child, my mom's father was a scientist who also moved around for work related reasons) and she moved to Provo when she 16 as her father became a professor at BYU. She happened to get in frequent disputes with a certain hyprocrite who is now a senator.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Rochendil
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2011, 5:27 am

LunaUlysses wrote:

I sometimes have a problem with hypocrisy in the church, but then I make sure it doesn't affect me: I just focus on my own personal development. You cannot change them, you can only pity them :P

As for your last point, some people can be happy to see someone they barely know. Not sure why, but some people are genuinely like that. I'm not saying that those people are like that, but I'm just saying that not knowing you is not going to stop some people being happy to see you. Some people just want to smile to bring out the smile in others and be friendly and hope others respond likewise. I'm sure Joseph Smith, for example, was not only kind to people he knew...

Erminetheawkward
Raven
Raven

10 Jun 2012, 9:29 am

*raises hand*

It's been an interesting experience having AS and having a sister who's profoundly autistic (she's had her share of meltdowns during church). Luckily most of the people in the wards I've been in have been supportive of the whole family, though my church peers don't know I have AS and I plan to keep it that way. I guess I'll go into some ways the church has been different for me.

- my testimony is definitely not the same as everyone else's. Supposedly it's supposed to be an emotional spiritual thing, and maybe it should be for NTs, but mine has always been intellectual and shows no signs of changing. It's still as strong as the next person's though.

- too many people (thankfully not including my singles ward bishop) have asked me when I'm going to get married. Many, with the best intentions, have asked "If you're so smart pretty and talented, why aren't you married?". Yes I'm 21, yes, I believe in family, yes my LDS peers are getting married left and right but that doesn't mean I'm ready.

- talks and lessons about woman/motherhood and the beautiful nurturing sensitive nature that is "innate" to all women give me the strong urge to laugh hysterically and leave the room. Uh, no. It's not innate.

But all in all, the church has been great. Doctrine aside, it's helped me improve my AS symptoms. After all the talks and lessons I've given, I'm better at public speaking (probably better than I am at private speaking). I've had plenty of practice dealing with highly emotional people (let them hug you as much as they want and step away slowly). I've dated more than I probably would otherwise (several dates and one "boyfriend" in my short life). The church has also strengthened my family. I don't know where I would be without a strong supportive family that will be there for me forever and a sister who is my best friend.