SSRI drugs and their interaction or reaction with AS

Page 2 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 9:27 pm

bhetti wrote:
I can't take SSRIs. I've already had convulsions, tics, weight gain, edema, inability to concentrate, then my GI tract shut down. I ended up having to have all kinds of expensive tests because my doctor refused to believe a low dose could cause the reactions I had, but it turns out yes it was the drugs.

I tried probably a dozen antidepressants and anti-anxiety drugs and I'm hypersensitive to all of them except valium. the latest thing we tried is a very low dose of elavil to make me sleep.

I concluded it's no use to take antidepressants at doses prescribed for depression, since I'm only depressed when I can't sleep.

Have they tried you on the tricyclic antidepressant series yet? Just curious...

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 9:40 pm

I guess it doesn't apply to me because I don't have the odd gait, odd/stiff posture, freezing, impulsive acts, difficulty crossing lines, bizarre/psychotic, incontinence, cannot stop actions, excited phases. Those things aren't applicable to me. Thank you AIME for providing the information.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 9:53 pm

I think not being able to communicate feelings, thoughts, experiences very well due to autism, particularly in association with overwhelming experiences or trauma, can be so distressing to a mind that it can short circuit or shut down and likewise some people with autism may be prone to catatonia-like conditions at a breaking point. I think this has been the case for me. And I guess the medication issue more pertains to the hypersensitivity problems, don't know.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 10:03 pm

Meadow wrote:
I think not being able to communicate feelings, thoughts, experiences very well due to autism, particularly in association with overwhelming experiences or trauma, can be so distressing to a mind that it can short circuit or shut down and likewise some people with autism may be prone to catatonia-like conditions at a breaking point. I think this has been the case for me. And I guess the medication issue more pertains to the hypersensitivity problems, don't know.

I think that's highly likely in many situations. This most recent attempt with citalopram resulted in twitching, insomnia, electric shock-like sensations, auditory hallucinations, disorientation - in that case, I think it was more a significant adverse reaction. But when other medications were tried, generally the absolute sense of difference from my normal state was so distressing that I would end up incapable of doing anything of substance. Good observation.

M.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 10:23 pm

I've had those sorts of reaction myself and can relate. It's horrible. When I told the doctor that I was having an "adverse" reaction to the medication, he said there was no such thing. At that point I gave up trusting any aspects of trying to get relief through drugs.

Last edited by Meadow on 31 Jan 2010, 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 10:29 pm

I found micro-doses (~0.1mg) of alprazolam (anti-anxiety agent) has provided some benefit; it may be something to discuss with a doctor in the future if it continues to pose a problem. In my overall experience, Valium was the most effective/least disorienting but also is considered relatively addictive and can lose efficacy in the long term.

M.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 10:29 pm

makuranososhi wrote:
Meadow wrote:

I think that's highly likely in many situations. This most recent attempt with citalopram resulted in twitching, insomnia, electric shock-like sensations, auditory hallucinations, disorientation - in that case, I think it was more a significant adverse reaction. But when other medications were tried, generally the absolute sense of difference from my normal state was so distressing that I would end up incapable of doing anything of substance. Good observation.

M.

Whew. All of this confirms my commitment to continue avoiding medication (other than for my blood pressure, of course). I am sure I would have had these same kinds of adverse reactions, and I grieve over your having had to suffer them.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 10:52 pm

If I might ask, what blood pressure medication are you on? My GP and I have discussed the use of a beta blocker for a dual purpose: help maintain my borderline high blood pressure from becoming a later issue, and as a replacement for anti-anxiety medication due to the somewhat sedating effects. Would be curious to have input from someone who has experience with them before trying the metoprolol, given the effects I've dealt with. Most SSRI's lead to panic attacks; the episode with the citalopram; severe heart palpitations from escitalopram; other adverse reactions to newer "medications" that were supposed to provide some relief instead of creating new problems. Just would feel better about trying it with some actual experience speaking instead of doctortalk.

M.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 1:28 am

makuranososhi wrote:
bhetti wrote:
I can't take SSRIs. I've already had convulsions, tics, weight gain, edema, inability to concentrate, then my GI tract shut down. I ended up having to have all kinds of expensive tests because my doctor refused to believe a low dose could cause the reactions I had, but it turns out yes it was the drugs.

I tried probably a dozen antidepressants and anti-anxiety drugs and I'm hypersensitive to all of them except valium. the latest thing we tried is a very low dose of elavil to make me sleep.

I concluded it's no use to take antidepressants at doses prescribed for depression, since I'm only depressed when I can't sleep.

M.
elavil is a tricyclic, the first I've tried, and I'm on the low dose. so far so good, it helps me sleep and I don't feel drugged. some of the other drugs made me feel so foggy, one of them made me really hyper, and one of them made me kind of psychotic. I started the elavil a few weeks ago, and every once in a while I have a weird muscle spasm, but only about once a week that I'm aware of. last week I had one that made me think I'd chipped a tooth because my jaw wrenched itself so hard, but it could be just a random occurrence not related to the drug because I'm not having any other weird tics.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 1:31 am

Meadow wrote:
does anyone know if anyone has gathered data on this? it seems to be known by mental health workers familiar with autism spectrum, but I can't find any published data on hypersensitivity to brain chemistry altering drugs.

ponies
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Feb 2010, 2:02 am

One of the worst things for me about these drugs, is that when I had my reactions, my doctor said "you haven't been on them long enough to even know they are in your system" "Just stick it out and you'll be alright".

His explanation was that it takes people a few weeks to even have the side effects kick in so the side effects I was telling him about must have been because I read the back of the box.

I was very very unwell after taking that medication and nobody believed me :-( not even my then partner at the time, he just went along with what the doctor said instead of what I said :( I still get angry and sad feeling about it now. I want to get over it, but at the time I felt just so betrayed by everyone. I was telling the truth and nobody listened.

subliculous
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Feb 2010, 2:08 am

i've started celexa last monday and now i've had heart palpitations/chest pressure and slight burning/constant urge to yawn and sigh/esophagus air bubbles/clamminess/nervousness for like three days now. feels like i have something stuck in my esophagus, like when a pill or piece of bread won't go down. tonight it hasn't been as bad, and if i take half an ativan it seems to wane a bit. i've had this before a few years back due to work-related social anxiety, and i'm not sure if the celexa somehow triggered this latest bout or not. it's almost like a constant adrenaline rush, or false panic attack.

hate it, it's driving me nuts(er).

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 2:08 am

bhetti wrote:
makuranososhi wrote:
bhetti wrote:

M.
elavil is a tricyclic, the first I've tried, and I'm on the low dose. so far so good, it helps me sleep and I don't feel drugged. some of the other drugs made me feel so foggy, one of them made me really hyper, and one of them made me kind of psychotic. I started the elavil a few weeks ago, and every once in a while I have a weird muscle spasm, but only about once a week that I'm aware of. last week I had one that made me think I'd chipped a tooth because my jaw wrenched itself so hard, but it could be just a random occurrence not related to the drug because I'm not having any other weird tics.

Of -all- the antidepressants that I tried, it was the tricyclics that had the best overall effect - amitriptyline, nortriptyline - as compared to any of the SSRIs or other depression-related medications that we tried over the years. I did not have jaw clenching, though it would not surprise me especially during the first few weeks of taking it. If it were the same muscles always spasming, I might be more concerned, but this sounds like something more random? The side effects I experienced would probably not have bothered others to the same extent but they exacerbated another existing issue to the point where it was not worthwhile to continue the treatment. It sounds like they have found a promising option, and I do hope it continues to provide you with both assistance and relief.

M.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 2:14 am

My drug reactions have always been the same day almost instantaneously in most cases after the first pill so that can't be right what the doctor said. They say all sorts of things anyway and make it up as they go along. I told the doctor about my problem with Prozac, for example, and all she said was she'd never heard of that reaction, that it wasn't listed. So when I had an immediate problem with Zoloft too I just dealt with it till the drug wore off and didn't take anymore and didn't bother to tell the doctor because I didn't want them to think I was nuts or not believe me. All I know now is I don't trust doctors, or the drugs they prescribe.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 2:28 am

Meadow, given what you're describing... it doesn't sound like a side effect of the drug itself; it sounds like a combination of being overwhelmed by a shift in sensory perception combined with your body itself having a "side effect" to that those forms of medication in general. A sensitivity in the liver, brain, or another organ could explain the near-instant physiological and psychological effects. Otherwise, there could be the possibility of a psychosomatic response to taking medication, perhaps in part due to distrust of doctors and concern about taking medication. Challenge is that there is little way of knowing for certain, at least not without a considerable budget for healthcare. Given my own experience with side effects, you have my sympathy.

M.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 2:36 am

Right, I'm sure it was psychosomatic when the muscles contracted in my neck causing my head to pull completely backward as far as it could go and my doctor had to give me a shot in order to reverse the effects. It's probably you with the "psychosomatic" problem and projecting your junk my way as people typically do. I know my body very well and know whether something is sensory or not. You're just trying to piss me off by insulting my intelligence that way but it isn't going to work.

Last edited by Meadow on 01 Feb 2010, 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.