Do people think you always have to be right?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2010, 3:00 pm

My husband used to sing "Little Miss Can't Be Wrong," at me whenever we disagreed about something. He hates being wrong, and on the occasions I have proved him wrong (recently, about how some menorahs have nine candles) he's not exactly gracious about it! (He sulks.) We discovered early on that I argue with passion and he argues with logic and neither of us is much persuaded by the other's approach. However, he's just about the only person who's said that I always have to be right. I am willing to be persuaded and readily admit when I'm wrong about something. It's just that I only argue about something when I know a lot about it and can prove my point.

I know the difference between opinion and fact. I don't think my opinions are set in stone or some kind of One Right Way. However, when I feel strongly about something I will discuss it with anyone. I state my views strongly and I'm not afraid of having an unpopular opinion. I think this makes people think that I have to be right...that's not the case. Sometimes, however, I am right -- and when I know I am (like about the menorahs), I will prove it!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2010, 3:01 pm

I don't think this way.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2010, 3:21 pm

Blindspot149 wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
I used to have this problem, but I got rid of it, just this past September. I'm a whole new person, now. I don't have to be right, or argue about it.

How did you manage to excorcise THOSE demons :?: :)

I've prayed about it.

Pyroaquatic
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Feb 2010, 3:30 pm

Willard wrote:
Blindspot149 wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
I used to have this problem, but I got rid of it, just this past September. I'm a whole new person, now. I don't have to be right, or argue about it.

How did you manage to excorcise THOSE demons :?: :)

I think I can answer that.

If you've ever seen Dogma, there's a scene at the very beginning in which Ben Affleck & Matt Damon, as banished angels Bartleby & Loki, are hanging out in what appears to be a bus station. Loki is engaged in intense conversation with a nun and making philosophical arguments to demonstrate that organized religion is a tool for the manipulation of the masses and is actually detrimental to individual spiritual development. As she leaves, looking dazed and distressed, Bartleby admonishes Loki for claiming to be an atheist and destroying the poor woman's faith, in spite of the fact that he has himself met God face-to-face. Loki's reply is "I just like to f**k with the clergy, man. I love to keep those guys on their toes."

That was me. Throughout my twenties, I looooved cornering poor Christian slobs and destroying their faith with logic and documented historical fact. I got an almost sexual high from that tortured look in their eyes as they were forced to face the realization that everything they believed about God and his benevolent protection and grand plan for humanity was never anything but sheer fantasy. I was brutal, relentless. I didn't stop until I knew they'd be waking up sweating in the night for years to come, with nothing and no one left to pray to for strength, help or guidance. Muah-ha-ha-ha. :twisted:

I thought that's what they deserved for being stupid enough to fall for that crap in the first place. Actually, I was just mad at my parents for telling me there was a Santa Claus - or at myself for being young and dumb enough to fall for it. My heart was broken when my faith was shattered and so I made it my mission to share my pain with the world. And it wasn't hard to do - when you're an Aspie and you get obsessed with uncovering the truth about something, you can devour libraries like some sort of information Borg, until even so-called experts can't win an argument with you.

I still go into that philosophy-ninja mode sometimes out of force of habit - I don't mean to, it's just a knee-jerk, automatic thing, I know all the arguments by heart and sometimes they just spill out, but...gradually, over a period of years, I realized I had become my enemy. Now I was the one going around proselytizing my own beliefs and pushing them on people who had never asked for my opinion, in the name of truth - MY truth. Because the more I came to understand about the nature of reality itself, the more I realized just how malleable the very fabric of the physical world is, and how, at the cosmic and sub-molecular levels, the patterns that make up 'reality' are not static and concrete. Solid matter is not so solid after all. And the things I thought I knew - well, at the end of the day, we may, after all, be merely phantasms in the imagination of something more vast than we can even conceive. We arrogant little humans so like to pretend we know all there is to know - we with our twelve-thousand year old civilization and our smart phones. :roll:

Anyway, the point is, I decided that if people were happy believing what they believed and those beliefs weren't leading them to harm others, who the hell am I to psychologically assault them and make their lives less comfortable? Truth be told, sometimes I wish I could believe in something that would allow me to set aside my troubles and worries and believe that a magic genie would take care of everything for me. I'd like that a lot. But my brain is not wired that way. I can't look at life and only see what I want to see. I see the details, the points of inconsistency and they nag at me. But I've stopped trying to make everyone else see them, too. Live and let live. I believe its called maturity.

Or maybe I just got tired of arguing with people who didn't want to see the truth in the first place. In any case, I don't have to be right anymore. Well...I don't have to insist that I'm right anymore. :wink:

Excellent Advice. I shall form my own with it.

Yesterday I was told to unplug the jack to my computer. This is no problem. I understand that the LED lights take energy.

I left the jack plugged in to the wall.

They feared that the jack was drawing power still.

I assured them that it was not as the circuit was not complete...

but they panic and interrupted me before I could finish.

I get "You always have to have an answer for everything, don't you!"

"Only when I have the answer."

>_>

In any case people will listen to assumptions before logic. Yes this is true. I just shut up and let them be wrong unless a lack of information could damage someone.

Step
Raven
Raven

03 Feb 2010, 3:45 pm

When my AS husband and I first got together I thought he was a know it all. He was very pedantic. The biggest fight we ever got into was over a discussion about the democratic caucus. I commented that I was excited to vote for the candidate I wanted to be the next presidential nominee.

He got all bogged down trying to explain to me (in what felt like a very condescending tone) that I wasn't really voting for the presidential nominee as in a primary, that delegates would be selected based on the percentage of caucus goers who chose a particular candidate and those delegates would then go to the state convention to select the delegates who would go to the national convention and THEY would be the ones voting for the nominee.

He wouldn't stop for a moment to hear that I already knew how the caucus system differs from a primary. When I said I was excited to vote, it's true I wasn't being technically accurate but I'm sure he got the gist of what I was saying. I didn't appreciate it turning into a half hour one-sided lecture on the electoral process.

I think in the beginning he was doing that kind of thing a lot to prove his intelligence because he never went to college. After I got into the habit of praising him regularly for his knowledge (which really is incredibly impressive!) I've noticed that he doesn't do that as much anymore.

Also, in the beginning he used to point out a lot how I was doing things wrong. If I didn't do them his way (or the most efficient way) he'd get upset. Like I had this beautiful glass bottle for dispensing liquid soap on the ledge of my sink. It had a tiny nozzle that got plugged often. It drove him crazy and kept insisting that I change it for a pump system because it was more practical. If you don't know about AS, things like that can seem very controlling. Now, if it's not something I feel strongly about, I just go with the flow, especially if it's going to make things less stressful for him. It still doesn't make his way "better"...in my opinion.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2010, 3:48 pm

Willard wrote:
- when you're an Aspie and you get obsessed with uncovering the truth about something, you can devour libraries like some sort of information Borg, until even so-called experts can't win an argument with you.

and then some :!:

Quote:
I can't look at life and only see what I want to see. I see the details, the points of inconsistency and they nag at me. But I've stopped trying to make everyone else see them , too. Live and let live.

Not even my WIFE wants to be able to see those details and she loves me

Quote:
I believe its called maturity.

As I hurtle towards my (first) half century I get a sense that I am finally starting to grow up (a bit)

Quote:
Or maybe I just got tired of arguing with people

Yes, since discovering my Autism, I am becoming less concerned with the gibberish that I hear from some people.

Knowing the neurological divide that separates me from more than 99% of our species, I am seeing arguments as things to avoid, unless it affects the physical security of my family.............or money :)

Liir
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Feb 2010, 5:33 pm

Maybe it has to do with the fact that a lot of us have trouble understanding things from another point of view. I base my beliefs etc. on facts and it does disturb me when someone clearly doesn`t see what i think is the "whole picture". I have absolutely no problem changing my view on things as long as the new presented facts outweigh or disprove what i previously thought.

The other problem is usually that i don`t really care about 90% of things, but other 10% i have a very strong opinion on. On top of that, the topics i actually do have a opinion on are the only ones i find worth to debate on, you never know when something might drastically change your perspective or you gain some new insight on the matter. Most people seem to be engaged in more questions, but without any concrete logical background, which probably makes me fight even harder for what i think is true (in hope of actually getting through and proving a point - which never seems to work :? ).

Anyway people who know me well have mostly accepted this :)

alana
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2010, 5:51 pm

yes, my family does, but that is because we differ on almost all of our basic beliefs and I have actually done alot of exploration and study on topics like religion and politics and I can rebutt just about every regurgitated cant point they try to make.