How do you cope with your obsessive behaviour?

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 8:05 am

I modify my Internet Addiction by working for two hours three to five days a week, and volunteering three hours out of the week.

I'm also in a much better spot than I was, when I first posted in this thread.

andywarhol
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Feb 2010, 3:43 am

I don't even try to control my obsessions, I just obsess over what I'm into at the time. It's kind of bad; it sometimes gets n the way of other things that I need to do.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 5:58 am

Obsess some more.

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 8:23 am

I do not.
This is my obsession.

anomie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Feb 2010, 8:41 am

memesplice wrote:
What is a good music station to listen to on the net? I have tried YTube but I have to keep clicking on to it to restart the video, are there any continual play stations?

Hi memesplice

You could try Last FM - you give them a starting point and they take you on a journey from there ... so you get a mixture of different artists that are tagged with similiar comments by other people.

That may be too random for some people, but if you just want background music it is quite good because it keeps going without you having to think about making new playlists or repeating a playlist.

There is also Spotify, it's not an Internet site but an application you can download (there is a version for Mac). There are lots of different artists on it and you can make your own playlists so you have much more control than you do with Lat FM. It's free but you need to know someone else who uses it and they give you an invitation. If you are intersted let me know and I will try to get you an invitation if I can ... I think I still have Spotify installed on one of my many computers but I'm not sure.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 10:21 am

I can't seem to control my obsessions and they come and go on their own. For instance, right now, I'd like to return to my last obsession because I felt like I was making good progress, but a new obsession has barged in and taken over. It can actually be very unpleasant because my obsessions get in the way of things I need to do, and other things I'd like to do, and I do them so intensely that I can even physically be injured (like repetitive stress something something). I have a room dedicated to my obsessions and it's filled with books on different subjects and instruments and art supplies, etc. And I really like all of these activities, but because each obsession is so demanding, when I notice another one that I haven't touched in a while I get upset because I wonder if all that time I spent on whatever activity was a waste of time, usually there was some expenditure of money involved so I wonder if that was wasted too, and all the things I like are things that require sustained attention and practice, forever, it seems. And I wonder if my whole life will be spent this way. It's a nasty cycle that is nonstop for me and will be a major topic of discussion when I finally get to see the therapist in June. It's very depressing for me.

Is this kind of obsessing an Aspie trait?