Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 3:32 am

malya2006 wrote:
Ok I'm really sorry for hijacking this post but I really need to know..I have a 6 year old AS son that is suuuuuuuper slow at everything. I love him to death but there are times in life where you have to hurry in order not to be late for things like appointments, school, swim classes, etc. How do I help him be ready on time? I feel so bad for rushing him because I know he hates it but if I let him have his way, he would do whatever he wants for hours and then decide two hours later he is ready to go. When he realizes he missed whatever he was scheduled for, he cries and feels bad because he missed it. How do I help him?

Have him get ready ahead of time before it's time to leave. Can he tell time? If so, tell him what time you guys are leaving at so he knows he needs to be ready before then.
So instead of waiting till it's time to go have him get ready like first thing in the morning so he wouldn't have to worry about it when it's time to leave. Then when it's time to leave, he can grab what he needs and head out the door with you.
Missing things is a good lesson for him. It will teach him to get ready before then and to stop what he is doing and get ready when you tell him to.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 3:39 am

I was very slow as a kid and was always the last to finish. My mom used to call me The Pokey Little Puppy. I also hated getting rushed. Mom would turn into a nag machine and start screaming if I was going too slow and I used to shout "Okay" when she get impatient just to give her a hard time. But I learned to be faster as I got older.
When I worked swing shift I got told I needed to work faster so I did and then I got told I needed to finish one thing first and then do the next. But ironically I was told to do something else so I had to leave my task unfinished.

Villette
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Mar 2010, 4:19 am

slow at anything requiring dexterity with hands. till now I can't make paper swans. slow at verbal instruction, math , rote memory. faster at abstract concepts like chemistry (I used to get top marks for it.)

morrison
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Mar 2010, 5:08 am

I was actually called Schneckchen(little snail) by my preschool teacher(age 6)

kissmyarrrtichoke
Toucan
Toucan

17 Mar 2010, 5:45 am

I have been wondering about this recently.
I'm in the Officer Training Corps in the UK and I seem to be so much slower than anyone else to pick things up, especially how to load/unload/make ready/make safe a rifle. It really stresses me out because I feel I'm letting everyone down, but I just can't remember the stages, even though I've been through it so many times. Everyone else seemed to pick up almost immediately.
My old boss at my Saturday job also complained about me being too slow, especially with washing up. This caused stress too, I think I followed her instructions too closely.

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 7:15 am

Very slow at answering vague questions.
Not talking at all does not help people's patience at all, too.
I check everything 10 times in my head (I do not count, this is either a hyperbole or an approximation) and 10 more times on paper.
Surprisingly, I miss some big things a lot.
I have been told autistics usually cannot separate foreground and background information, even if it is not sensory.
And I used to be horrible separating cause from effect.
This made me think if usual crime intervention would be useless against an autistic psychopath.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 1:55 pm

I'm very slow at things. When I was taking classes on campus, I was always the last person in the class after a test. It takes me a long time to comprehend the meaning of what I'm reading, which is part of the reason.

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Mar 2010, 2:38 pm

The more I'm rushed the slower I am; however, if I'm not under any pressure at all I can usually move at a pretty good rate.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 3:33 pm

I am notoriously slow when eating. I am a slow reader, but my comprehension is unusually good. I wish I could slow down conversations. That is one reason I prefer posting on forums to on line chatting.

At work, I used to be slower than I am now. When management complained, I tried to do the same thing only faster. I ended up a nervous wreck! I now try to estimate the amount of time my supervisors want me to accomplish the task, and do what can be done in that amount of time. If I run across something that my supervisor was not aware of, I will ask for clarification from him. I often follow a strategy of doing only the minimum that is required, and then if there is time left over, I will "fine tune" to my own standards.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 4:11 pm

I am not slow usually. When someone is hovering over me or rushing me I will not be able to concentrate and I will make a lot of mistakes because I will rush through something to get them to leave me alone. I think I was slower than usual as a kid though. I remember being yelled at for it and aggravating the adults. I don't know if that is more common for most kids, though. I fuss at my daughter for it too.

When I was in leadership school I would always be first to finish the tests. We had to leave the auditorium as soon as we were done, and I would hear them uttering things under their breath when I got up to leave after 20 minutes. I had the highest scores too. One guy rushed to be done before me once , but his grade suffered. It was a joke in the classroom about me. But when we had to do a writing exam I was much slower. I was one of the few left when time was up. I still made the highest grade, though. It just takes me longer to organize a written work.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 4:56 pm

It depends on the task at hand. I can't really say what kind of tasks take me longer to finish because I've been very inconsistent in terms of completion time.

I do always have to take a moment to organize everything (tools, formulas, lists, etc.) but that doesn't necessarily make me slower than others.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 5:18 pm

devark wrote:
The more I'm rushed the slower I am; however, if I'm not under any pressure at all I can usually move at a pretty good rate.

That's the same thing with me.

Flaggy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Mar 2010, 9:14 am

All my life i've been told I am slow.. I always say I have 2 speeds - slow and stop lol

I have poor hand eye co ordination, and also poor depth perception- which are made worse if I work faster than I am able to, and I end up being clumsy and doing it all wrong, and having to re do it anyway, so I might as well be slow to begin with

danieltaiwan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Mar 2010, 9:23 am

I would say I'm average. Besides it's not how slow you are it's the job you did. I read very fast but am not the best at comprehension. I am very fast on rote memory things such as mental math. I can be slow on things that require comprehension. However I think things out throughly.

CerebralDreamer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 10:04 am

It depends on what I'm doing.

I'm really slow when it comes to arithmetic and basic reading. My rote memory is average. The only place I really seem to excel is abstraction. I can make sense of things in my head without much effort, yet that's not always what people test for. In a lot of cases people expect rote memory, or some sort of intellectual 'grunt-work' like arithmetic.

It always seemed like as the difficulty of the assignment/test/paper went up, the better I did compared to everyone else.

alternatenick
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Mar 2010, 11:59 am

Hmm, I can relate to a lot of the stuff people here have said. People have often complained about me doing things too slowly, but I just try to make sure it's right. Also dexterity/hand-eye coordination could certainly be better, so that slows things way down if I have to do something physical.

Of course, once I learn how to do the thing well, I tend to be very quick with it... but if it's physical, I'll usually never be terribly fast. Also, reading is a bit slow, but that's likely more related to my low vision... though comprehension is still piss-poor unless it's something that's mostly informational and written in an easy to understand way.