Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Mar 2010, 2:29 am

I am totally doing this as well .

alternatenick
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Mar 2010, 3:01 am

I did this a lot when I was little. I would always ask for the cereal box to read it. Or I'd read things in stores and the person I was with would just leave me while I'm focused on what I'm reading. I hated that so much. I'd also read stuff in the shower and stuff or i'd read signs aloud driving people nuts.

Nowadays, I only really do it when I'm bored (not at the computer). Mostly just in the shower. Nowadays I mostly do my own shopping so I can read what I want but I try not to so people don't think there's something wrong with me or something. It's certainly slowed down but still there.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 5:55 am

Moog wrote:
Uh, so you mean that some people don't read everything they see? :?

I certainly don't. Once I've started I can't easily stop.....and as I know that, if it looks long-winded I'm actually scared to begin. Especially books - it can take me ages to get through a book, unless the subject matter happens to really fascinate me, so rather than get myself trapped, I just avoid them as a rule.

morrison
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Mar 2010, 6:07 am

Well I have the advantage to be a fast reader. I read lotr in one day xD

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 7:17 am

OFC!

I remember when I was little child and when I was sitting in the kitchen during breakfast, I always read SCHOKOPULVER. This yellow box with big red inscription is one of my strongest memoirs :lol:

And ofc I have to read everything I see. When I'm in the bus, I read bilboards, street names, regulations etc. I have to read cosmetics in bathroom. I have to read clothes tags, book titles on sb's shelf... everything. It helps in language skills. And fast reading, because I don't read e-a-c-h-l-e-t-t-e-r but all in one moment.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

FePixie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Mar 2010, 8:04 am

And here

I get a bit discombobulated if i dont have something to read when i eat in particular - all that eating is just a waste o time if you cant do something else at the same time :lol:

And yep - package lables, signs, anything with letters on gets read :roll:

Irisrises
Toucan
Toucan

18 Mar 2010, 8:39 am

Growing up, I used to do this, I think it was partly an escape and partly a quest for information.

Once I realized that nothing really worked the way it was supposed to I gave it up, preferring to read the unwritten for a while, and going to that extreme instead.

These days I find that I look at how texts are constructed rather than reading them for information. Whether it's on a product or in a newspaper, texts tell you a lot about the frame of mind that produced them, often more so than about the topic they address.

Nick_Raven
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Mar 2010, 9:01 am

Irisrises wrote:
Growing up, I used to do this, I think it was partly an escape and partly a quest for information.

That was true for me too.

I still have a tendency to pick up magazines lying around the house, mail order catalogs, etc. It doesn't really seem to matter where I am.

When I was younger, I had a habit of reading the hymnals in Church or reading passages in the Bible while the pastor/minister/etc. was preaching. I don't do this so much now...namely because I'm rarely in a church or chapel except when I'm at work (I work at a Catholic seminary) and I've over the years stopped doing this.

Doctor's offices are where I still do this the most.

"Never let go of that fiery sadness called desire." -- Patti Smith

pixxie69
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Mar 2010, 6:21 pm

Yes!!

Ebonwinter wrote:
It's hard to not read anything I can see it just happens so naturally to read and analyze.

it's not hard not to read; its absolutely impossible. :wink:

@OP: no reason to be annoyed.
@ Valoyossa: absolutely

/

bethaniej
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Mar 2010, 8:55 pm

Yes, every since I could read, I've read everything.