Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

who here is an incurable SLOB?
i am an incurable slob which interferes with my human effectiveness 33%  33%  [ 19 ]
i'm a confirmed neatnick with everything always in its place 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
my place looks tidy by stuffing everything in the closet before company comes 21%  21%  [ 12 ]
i'm a slob but i still function well despite the clutter 42%  42%  [ 24 ]
Total votes : 57

ForsakenEagle
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Mar 2010, 12:44 pm

I have a hard time putting things away properly. My desk is a mess. I usually do a monthly clean up, but it goes back to the way it was before I know it. I am pretty good at working around it, however.

ASgirl
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Mar 2010, 12:50 pm

i am not a big fan of cleaning and tidying up yet i hate mess. so in order to save myself from it all, i keep myself a very low maintenance lifestyle ie i rarely use or touch things around unnecessarily.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 3:10 pm

I picked "i'm a slob but i still function well despite the clutter". I'm a bit of a hoarder, it's very difficult for me to throw things away & because of that, my house is a mess. But I can still do the things I need to do despite it. The only problem comes from other people who always have something negative to say about the condition of my house, when it's none of their business because they don't live there.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 3:17 pm

Aimless wrote:
I can put something in my pocket and it disappears somewhere because I can't find it 5 minutes later.

:D I do that all the time, especially when I'm involved in some handyman type project. Put a screwdriver in my pocket, then spend a half-hour sweating and cussing because I can't find it.

But I am not a slob. Felix Unger is my hero. My office looks like a second hand consignment shop because that's my playroom. The rest of the house is quite tidy. Even my playroom mess is organized - all my toys neatly lined up and glued down in dioramic displays, just as a toy museum should be...

"...to your left is Superman, being beaten to death by the monster Doomsday...here, Princess Leia and Artoo-Detoo hold up a giant Victoria's Secret Holiday Discount Card, which it's rumored, she used to purchase her Jabba's Palace Slave-Girl Costume...and we're walking, and we're walking..." :rendeer: :rabbit: :tongue:

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 4:02 pm

Alphabetania wrote:
Inventor wrote:
I live in the factory. Tools, machines, machine parts, and every space used.

Wow, Inventor, I was married to an eccentric man like that who really is an inventor. We lived in his workspace for decades, and our bedroom was a kind of store-room; there were no pictures on the walls, and nothing pretty about it in any way (old sheets, old mattress, etc.; we had a maid, though, so the bedding was washed and things were vacuumed to a basic degree of decency, but nothing really shiny-clean).

He is actually capable of being tidy, but he has a lab assistant who is disorganised and she always misplaces things. The maid is not a great organiser either. And he is terrible at classification, although he is neat in dress when he has enough money for clothes.

As an inventor, he has several patents to his name. I helped him write them, because he is dyslexic and I am nearly hyperlexic (although neither of us knew this when we were married, and it caused a great deal of anger and sadness when we argued. (I suspect that he, like me, also has ADHD. 23% of Ukrainians have ADHD, and he's 100% Ukrainian and has many of the symptoms.)

We liked going to flea markets and scrapyards together. Occasionaly we still do it, although we are no longer married. I once asked him if he would still go to places like that if he got really rich and he looked me in the eye and said with emotion, "Yes, more than ever."

I am also a Patent Holder, a "Real' Inventor." While I can turn out in Armani, it is not very good for work. Shopping thrift stores and scrap yards parts show as a major frame for something I want, I have the idea, but having what I want made gets expensive, so I look a lot.

LIke every good kitchen I have a hydrolic tubing bender, and with a modified section of channel iron, with a 3 3/4" hole, I can press stainless steel poker table drink cups into the mount for a six LED motorcycle tail light, The light is very directional, and laser bright to the rear, in the day time.

I invent, not create, just take mostly existing parts and make a mount where they can serve a new purpose better than anything before. My bike, avatar, had a 6 Volt 35 Watt tail light, that hardly showed at night, and applying the brakes, the headlight dimmed. LED is lots of light at near no Wattage, and there are 100,000 of these old no tail light bikes still around. I go for small exclusive worldwide markets.

I draw, then search parts, LEDs, sockets, wire clips, screws, grommets, the Stainless drink holder was the only part needing to be modified, a press of a lip, and my kitchen drill press, and it all has to fit the stock space, and the stock taillight lens and mounting ring.

I also have a 40 ton jack that can metal form like the hundred ton factory mass production models. Hand pumped, I can turn out a part a minute, make dies from liquid steel and metal powder, and test an idea, or put it in small production, for a few dollars and my skill.

I know other inventors, they also see parts as parts of systems, and can spot them.

This started in the grocery, looking for a can of the right size, then not finding it, what it would take to form the part, then a world search to finally find Made in China, under $3, almost perfect, just needing a lip pressed, and six holes drilled.

I do not see the same world as others, I see what can be, and it makes a mess of my living quarters.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 4:16 pm

My room tends to get pretty messy. Sometimes I'll leave clothes on the floor or on my bed; if I don't know where to put something then I'll just throw it somewhere and likely forget where I put it. I have such a huge clutter of things in certain areas of my room that it's difficult for me to find things. There's some food crumbs on the carpet due to weeks of having not vacuumed and constant eating in my room.

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 7:58 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
I also tend to wear clothes multiple times before washing them, and I skip showers.
Me too.
I sometimes get angry at the mess in some rooms, and clean it up.
But never in my own room.
That is the room I can be calm in.
I do not like if it changes.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 8:10 pm

I'm not the tidiest person that I know, and I'm also not the messiest person that I know, either. I'm more neat, than tidy, but that's not good enough for some people, such as my mum. She figures that because I'm the same gender she is, that I should have the same level of cleanliness that she does, just because my sister is the same way that she is. Anywho, I'm tiding up a little, right now. Picking up and taping pictures and my three year gambling self-exclusion on my walls.

bethaniej
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Mar 2010, 8:29 pm

ursaminor wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:
I also tend to wear clothes multiple times before washing them, and I skip showers.
Me too.
I sometimes get angry at the mess in some rooms, and clean it up.
But never in my own room.
That is the room I can be calm in.
I do not like if it changes.

Daughter told me that after she cleaned her room she couldn't sleep because her room was too clean. The mess I think is a big comfort to her.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 8:36 pm

ursaminor wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:
Me too.
Same here. I don't really skip showers, but it depends on what a person defines as 'regular showering.'
I shower once every couple of days, and wash my hair one or two times a week. I will aso wear clothes several times before washing them, but that is mostly because I live in an apartment, and the washer and dryer are coin operated. I don't have a lot of money, so I just try to wash whatever is the most needed at the time.
So if it doesn't stink (aside from underwear or badly stained items), it gets reworn. 8)

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 8:51 pm

I checked the first box.

I need order.

I need it to function.

I need it for perceptual reasons similar to blind people I've known who need to be assured things are exactly where they can find them.

I cannot create that kind of order. Not to function. Not to find things. Not to save my life. (And I have lived in clutter so awful it could be physically unsanitary.)

Fortunately for me, all my other life skills are just as awful and I easily qualify for services. Because for me it was neither a lifestyle choice nor something I could make the best of, it was a recipe for disaster so bad that on my first day of services a woman literally walked in and said "Wow... uh... I'm not authorized to clean something like this. I'll call the office and someone will be by in a week or so who is allowed to handle situations like this."

Then I had to get used to the anxiety and invasion of "Gaaaaaaaaaaah someone is touching my stuff." But getting used to that was easier than getting used to living in that kind of squalor. Even if for years people would buy me movie tickets when they intended to clean my stuff so they wouldn't have to listen to me screaming when they touched something. The problem was with lack of body awareness I sort of considered my whole apartment my body so having my stuff touched was like people touching me. (But since I needed people touching me as well because of my crappy bathing skills, I got used to it all.)

What I absolutely hate is when other autistic people go "I could never live like that. I need order." I need it just as bad as they do. I just can't do the work required to create it -- that requires being able to consistently perceive and manipulate both body and surroundings that because of my manifestation of autism I do not have.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 9:18 pm

I am an incurable slob too. I have been all my life. I try to keep it at a low level, though, because I live with my mother, who does not like a messy house. The least I can do it pick up. She isn't too bothered by how I keep my room, but I must clean it regularly to be able to work in it doing my sewing and art projects. I do not eat in my room often because I don't want any crumbs to attract bugs.

On the other hand, I have three computer which are tightly organized and maintained. I keep files very organized and I get rid of unused files often.I clean them regularly too- monitors, keyboards, areas around them get dusted. I open up my PC case and clean out the dust once a month.

My important paperwork is kept in plastic bags inside plastic containers away from any pets or sources of liquid. I also keep my paint brushes, airbrushes, palettes, and other art supplies very clean. SO I had selective "neat freakiness".

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 6:47 am

Metalwolf wrote:
...I just try to wash whatever is the most needed at the time.
So if it doesn't stink (aside from underwear or badly stained items), it gets reworn. 8)

it seems to be an old tradition among those bereft of plentiful clean clothing, to pick up the cleanest dirty item and wear it. when i was desperate enough i have been known to shower with a dirty shirt in order to kill 2 birds with one stone. or short of that, to spray sweet-smelling spray stuff on the pits [of the shirt]. hanging a dirty shirt out in the bright hot sun seems to work wonders, must be the uv light or something.

Anastasia
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Mar 2010, 6:56 am

I try try try and try to be clean neat and organised but it aint a happening!

Have tried every damn book and motivational tool and trick but nothing works.

Having said that i once lived at my sons grandmothers house for 3 months and almost died of boredom due to how spick and span the place was. There was nothing to read, no music to play nothing! BORINGGGGGGGGGG

danieltaiwan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Mar 2010, 7:29 am

I guess I'm a slob. I have tons of clutter in my dorm. (I'm a student) I know where my stuff is when I place it somewhere but often it will "magically" move out of place and that bugs me. When I was a child I would always put my stuff in a certain place and certain area. My mother would occasionally clean my room and move around my stuff. We had a lot of arguments :D

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 8:06 am

I'm a slob, but worse than that I refuse to let anybody clean up, if my stuff is moved around I go into a meltdown mode. I remember when my mother tried to clean my coffee table, she moved my books, even organizing them was ruining everything for me.

So, I'm an incurable snob, because if I clean my stuff up it upsets me... I didn't really realize this before now.

LittleTigger wrote:
My brother and me are Master Dinklists.

There are always Dinkles all over our flat.

Drawers full of dinkles
baskets full of dinkles
buckets full of dinkles

Dinkles = miscellaneuss thingys and dewies
screws, wires, chips, transistors, used tissues
sweets/candy wrappers biscuit/cooky boxes
serial boles with the spoon stuck to them
dride milk on the bottom, screwdrivers,
wire clippers, electrical connectors, springs,
gears, cables draping everywhere, stacks of dvds
shrumpled reseets from shopping, plastic grocery
bags stuffed with more plastic grocery bags,
a HUGE rubbish sack stuffed with aluminium cans
for my brother's recycling.

Penc pencils markers crayons erasers papers
colouring boox.

We had to have charity come in to help us clean
our flat beacuse we can't. it is not possibel,
I know this. It is not possible, tried it, can't do it.

Electronics is a hobby of yours too? It makes a giant mess though, I shove all my tiny pieces of copper wire into my toolbox as if they will be useful some day... I shouldn't but I do. Although my bedroom is full of circuit boards and battery's which are wasting space.