Remembering Things From When I Was A Baby

Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 7:44 pm

My Dad, who has NEVER been prone to lying, exaggerating, or anything of the sort, claims to remember being brought home from the hospital. He remembers being in a wicker basket, looking out at female faces looming over him, then that he was swinging up, and suddenly there was a cake with a stork on it.

You would have to know my father to realise how unusual it was that he'd come out with a story like this unless it was absolutely true. I mean... he is Mr Honesty... He is famous for the accuracy of his recall, and the ridiculously high standard to which he holds himself. If someone else told me he remembered the stork on his cake, I'd roll my eyes... but my Dad? Nahhh....

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 7:52 pm

Is it true that babies see in black and white?

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 8:03 pm

I don't think so... I remember seeing the colour blue, most vividly... and green. But maybe babies perceive colour differently?

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 8:49 pm

I vaguely remember my mother bathing me in the sink. :wink:

I also remember (and I don't remember exactly how old I was--probably two or three) going with my dad every day to drop my half-brother off at his jr. high school, then he'd buy me some donut holes and we'd go home and I'd eat them while watching Mary Poppins. :)

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 11:16 pm

mgran wrote:
I remember our having matching pjs, only mine was pink and his was blue.

you just knocked loose my memories of my brother wearing blue footy pajama. We use to lie on our backs with our legs facing each other so we could foot fight. I was 4 he was 2. Great stuff, I am suprised we did not kill each other. :lol:

jaspie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Jun 2010, 6:24 am

The earliest age I can remember is 18 months to 2 years. Some of the earliest memories I can recall include:
I remember Ash Wednesday in February 1983,the hazy sky and over 40 degrees heat.
Every time I went in the car,I would count all the residential numbers.
The Peter Jackson cigarettes my father used to smoke. I used to mimic the way he used to smoke and light one in my mouth.I started coughing and never smoked again.
The vacuum cleaner my mother had was a Hoover.
My first encounter with Santa Claus at aged 2 years old.I have despised Santa ever since.
I remember hearing "Walking on the Moon" by The Police over the PA System.
I remember my jump suit was pale blue and white.
Walking to a my father's best friend and remembering his green 4 door Holden Monaro and asking if my father is here.I am not sure he was happy to see me because he said "NO".

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 6:46 am

I've had some memories knocked loose on this thread too. I remember my mother taking me into boots, and weighing my brother on some sort of dangling scale they had... I suppose to check his growth etc. I remember being very upset that she wouldn't let me be weighed (I was a huge nearly two year old, I imagine I was too big.)

I remember an enamel bath, white, and I remember sitting in the sink being washed. I remember watching my brother put his feet in his mouth, and wondering why he didn't get in trouble for that while I did, and I remember biting my mother's breast when I was teething.

realitysandwich
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jun 2010, 10:30 pm

I can remember a lot of things from when I was younger including the first time I sat up. I described it to my mom around 11 or 12 and shocked her a bit.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 7:27 am

I remember diaper changes and breast feeding. Not every memory from that far back can be recalled, but I do remember episodes from my infancy.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 8:40 am

I remember many things:
- my pregnant aunt (my cousin is only one year younger than me)
- me in the Daycare, rooms, me not knowing how to play with kids, one nanny yelling RUHE! (be quiet!), some dialogues
- my children mug looking like a tiger
- my elephant-shaped Daycare bag
- my second birthday and my hearts obsession
- my shoes with hearts and many other clothes
- my first day in the Kindergarten, next days too, some dialogues
- song Schön ist die Nacht (The night is so beautiful) and my obsession about Susi und Strolch (Lady and the Tramp)
- my Kindergarten bag with a pear on it
- how our house looked, our plants, our dogs and cats
- me speaking English: How do you do? and adults: Tell us what it means Me: Doesn't matter (or quiet)
- big yellow can with cocoa, with big red letters on it
- my other pregnant aunt and me reading her book about pregnancy (I was 4)
- me trying to steal candies from the shop :lol: I was 2 and I thought it's free :lol:
- me waiting for Bobofrut juice in the front of the shop
- glass bottles with milk
- my Mum making cottage cheese
- my holidays in Jurata (spell: Yu-rah-tah), my beach stuff, my sunglasses, some dialogues, swans and seagulls feeding, the lighthouses in Jastarnia (Yah-star-nee-ah) and Hel - I was 2 y.o.
- me in the train to Wrocław (Breslau) and visit there
- me in the train to Hamburg, reading children magazine, visit in this city
- my children books and magazines, I loved bookstores and libraries (other kids wanted toys, I wanted books)
- election posters on the streets, news in the TV, me watching programs about Economy (I love graphs and charts)

Many many many things, most people don't believe I remember so much and they tell me that I lie, that it's impossible. It's not my blame they have poor memory!

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Jun 2010, 9:35 am

I had no idea that this was an Asperger's trait! I've been ridiculed all my life for remembering stuff all the way back to infancy. And I know it's not just things I was told, which is what people sometimes insist.

Charles

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 10:50 am

kx250rider wrote:
I had no idea that this was an Asperger's trait! I've been ridiculed all my life for remembering stuff all the way back to infancy. And I know it's not just things I was told, which is what people sometimes insist.

Charles

I do not think its exclusive to ASD. I think it has more to do with not being a social animal and destroying maby of your braincells with alcohol...

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 11:24 am

Most kids don't drink alcohol. Only those from pathological families.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

LolaCrazy
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jun 2010, 9:23 pm

Thank you everybody that posted! Now I will be able to sleep better. No I know I'm not the only one that has memroies like this! There were a few that I read that remembered things from birth.

Zero0netgain, yeah, I remember diaper changes from when I was a baby too!

To Tenszinsmom and everybody that wonders what my memroies from before birth. Well, um, lets see.....
I remember two dreams that I had before I was born, when I was in the womb. One was being in a cartoon, it was like Speed Racer. The other one that I remember was me being at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. That dream proved pre-recognitiontive since I was at the Grand Canyon when I was a baby (and rememberd it too).

Okay, get ready for this! I remember something before that!

I even remember things from even before I was conceived, at least I think thats when it was. I allways have this wierd feeling and memroy that I choosed the time I was born. Before I was conceived God showed me diffrent times in human history. Then I asked God, "Can you be more specific?" Then he told me about the year 1969 and what was happening in 1969 about the Vietnam war etc. I said, "Hey that's cool". Then thats when I choosed to be born in 1969. As wierid and far out as this sounds I think other pepole have witnessed it since I saw a Telepaethic TV show about it. Mary Phelan of Telepatretic TV said that you can choose the time you are born and in her next life she said she can go back to the 1400's.

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 9:37 pm

Damn, reading this thread depresses me.

memories before age 5... two recurrent dreams.... That's it.
From then on... until maybe about grade 6 (age 10 to 11)
All i can remember is thoughts.. specifically fear. I'm sure there was other things there, but fear and self-hatred are all that remains, they were far too overpowering for anything else to survive.

from then on, i remember a reasonable amount. More when something cues the memory. Early times, things can't even cue a memory.. or at least nothing has for years.

I don't know if it's the AS that is at fault for the lack of memories though.
I think it's more related to the trauma i lived through in grade 6.

But i'm still depressed now... i couldn't read the whole thread... I am close enough to a full blown meltdown right now as it is, and i had to write a reply, as much to see my feelings in writing as anything.
I envy you that remember that far back. Treasure those memories if they're good. Treasure what you can learn from them if they're bad. Don't let anything take them away from you.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 11:39 pm

I also remember holding my hand on a cold window to leave a hand print. I had to stand on my tip toes to reach the middle I might have been two. I would get very happy when adults put their hand print next to mine, It is one of my fondest memories.

Another of my favorite memories was when my dad bought me the whole set of the planet of the apes action figures I was four or five. My parents still cannot believe I still have vivid memories of that Christmass back in 1975. My father remembers it because he knew how I always had to have complete sets of things. We have old super-8 films of it. It is one of the few times my parents were able to capture my happiness on film. I always looked very sullen in photos even when I was very happy.