nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

14 Jun 2010, 12:29 am

mesona wrote:
pensieve wrote:
AukidsMag wrote:
I work with kids with autism and the irony of this discussion is that many of them are doing the screaming particularly in supermarkets and shops maybe due to the sensory overload of sights/smells and sounds.

Just as you are struggling with their noise, they are struggling with their own sensory issues. I'm sure the parents feel bad and embarrassed when their kids scream and would stop them if they could.

I'm not implying that all kids who scream are autistic, but some may be.

That's why I don't complain about kids crying because they could be autistic. When people complain about screaming kids on planes, in supermarkets, etc I tell them that they could be autistic so they should watch what they say. Usually they blame it on the parents or call the kids brats.
I've had my share of public meltdowns, even as an adult. So who I am to get angry at others that may be having one?

I have noticed. that when a kid is crying and having a temper tantrum. If the kids parent is next to him trying to get him/her to stop crying. Odds are the kid is autistic. but when the parent does nothing or says nothing. Then the kid is was always a NT. I am not sure how true this is but it is what I see.

There could be some truth in that. I think autistic kids do not like being held/rocked or having people constantly talking to em compared to NTs. I was told I hated being held ect as a kid. Autistics do better alone more than NTs. I do NOT think that saying is always true thou cuz there are a lot of other factors that an observer may not see rite away so it's not good to assume

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

mesona
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jun 2010, 1:51 pm

nick007 wrote:
mesona wrote:
pensieve wrote:
AukidsMag wrote:
I work with kids with autism and the irony of this discussion is that many of them are doing the screaming particularly in supermarkets and shops maybe due to the sensory overload of sights/smells and sounds.

Just as you are struggling with their noise, they are struggling with their own sensory issues. I'm sure the parents feel bad and embarrassed when their kids scream and would stop them if they could.

I'm not implying that all kids who scream are autistic, but some may be.

That's why I don't complain about kids crying because they could be autistic. When people complain about screaming kids on planes, in supermarkets, etc I tell them that they could be autistic so they should watch what they say. Usually they blame it on the parents or call the kids brats.
I've had my share of public meltdowns, even as an adult. So who I am to get angry at others that may be having one?

I have noticed. that when a kid is crying and having a temper tantrum. If the kids parent is next to him trying to get him/her to stop crying. Odds are the kid is autistic. but when the parent does nothing or says nothing. Then the kid is was always a NT. I am not sure how true this is but it is what I see.

There could be some truth in that. I think autistic kids do not like being held/rocked or having people constantly talking to em compared to NTs. I was told I hated being held ect as a kid. Autistics do better alone more than NTs. I do NOT think that saying is always true thou cuz there are a lot of other factors that an observer may not see rite away so it's not good to assume

oh we hate it. I still dont like to be tuched by most people. I was talking about how parents react to a temper tantrum. Paraents of NT kids do not even look at the kid but if the kid is autistic the parent is right there trying to help the kid. 99.2% of the time I saw this happening I was right. The kid always show tell tail signs.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 6:25 pm

I have to wear noise cancelling headphones all the time when bands play at my venue...and there are certain frequencies that really really bother meI can become extremely irritable and even sometimes nauseous.....but um...I have been spending every day cooped up in my evil little home-office and the fan on the computer made this grinding whirring sound that was driving me utterly insane for months...This has been the first time in literally months that I have been able to not yell at my business partner or have multiple freakouts or shutdowns over stuff related to our business....and today is the day that the evil office computer was finally shut down and replaced with a new one so I don't have that noise drilling into my head..I think that it is going to be a drastic improvement...I can finally sort of think again...I am completely amazed.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 7:47 pm

...and then all the people showed up...and my condition deteriorated...the sounds of several different people talking at once really messes with me....and I am in danger of having tantrums then. I am trying to have a "good" day...so despite an evil crunch of stress all at once I avoided everyone and did not lose it.

StewartMango
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jun 2010, 3:06 pm

I don't care if the kids is Autistic or not, I still have a meltdown from the SCREAMING, my ears are in pain. I also get angered when my dad blows his nose real loud.

Even thinking about baby or child noises anger me, I think my life would be better if I was deaf.

See I used to be able to be around babies/children, now I can't stand them, what happened!?

www.stewartmango.com