Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 2:55 pm

lotuspuppy wrote:
I'll speak in defense of making money. I'm greedy, and freely admit it. I don't want many material things in life, beyond a nice house/condo with some extra money to travel and such. What I want is the power to control my own destiny. And a rewarding career. And I'm prepared to act fake to get it, and pray to God others do the same around me.

It sounds harsh, but that's what capitalism is. I truly believe that capitalism has brought us every good thing in life their is. Money has its downsides, but it's stronger than any king, any autocrat, or any discrimination we have ever known. It's the engine of liberty.

I think that there is a difference between wanting to make a good living and have a few luxuries in life and having "greed" and a "love of money"

Untempered greed is what brought about the economic collapse. Untempered greed is what makes us think that it is okay to export manufacturing jobs from the US to a third world country where the workers have no rights and the pay is pennies.

Untempered greed is what contributed to deregulation in many industries. That nasty oil spill in the gulf could have been prevented with better regulations and safety standards in place. However greed trumped and the worst thing happened.

As for people, I know many interesting professionals who own their own businesses. They charge what they are worth and work hard. One of them is a multi-millionaire. He did not get to this position from being greedy. He got to this position from having a PhD in his field, developing a product/service that is needed in his field and hard work. Charging an appropriate amount for his product/service and working hard. Greed had nothing to do with it.

I think what the original poster was trying to get at is when people get all "oooohhh" around people with money. I can be at a social gathering with my PhD relative on one side of me and my other relative who works forklift in a warehouse and treat them with the same courtesy and respect. I don't get all "ooooooh" over the wealthy relative.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 6:31 pm

I make enough money to get buy, and that's all I really need.

WarWraith
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jun 2010, 6:57 pm

CanadianRose wrote:
I am reminded of what the Bible says about money: "The love of money is the root of all evil" Money itself is a useful tool which, in an ideal planet - would be earned and shared fairly.

"The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil" actually.

It's a pet peeve of mine when that verse gets misquoted, because leaving either or both of those words out changes the fundamental meaning.

Sorry, no offense intended.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

16 Jun 2010, 8:50 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Being the working class hero that I am,
:lol:

and no. get used to it, these are the unwritten rules that sociaty says you must obey. i rememeber working jobs having to kiss ass like you wouldnt believe just to be in the "circle" of friends, or be able to act like i was friendly with my co-workers