A rolling stone gathers no moss - means?

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Bluefins
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 7:20 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
It's silly, because stones almost never roll, and on the rare occasions when a stone does roll, it doesn't roll for very long before it stops. The short time that a rolling stone is rolling for wouldn't be enough for it to gather moss even if it were standing still.

And if the rock was rolling straight enough, shouldn't it be possible for moss to grow on it anyway, on the sides? Does moss need stable gravity to grow? :chin:

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2010, 3:45 am

why would moss be something a rock would want?

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2010, 5:14 am

I thought it meant Mick Jagger was not much of a gardener. Joke. But whenever I hear that I always think of the rolling stones.

I don't get most of these expressions.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2010, 7:10 pm

Silver_Meteor wrote:
I did not know what that phrase really meant but one interpretation is that a person who constantly moves from place to place (the rolling stone) does not establish any beneficial long-term connections or roots (gathers no moss).

And I believe this is the oldest known interpretation, which I favor. This is the first explanation I ever heard, referring mainly to responsibility of settling down and establishing roots. The rolling stone in this interpretation, is an irresponsible vagabond or wanderer.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/a-ro ... -moss.html

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Coldkick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Aug 2010, 7:57 pm

Lol I pictured a rolling rock that didn't gather moss too, that aside, I tried to figure out what it meant based on that visual image and came up with the same as what has been said.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 6:30 am

Hah, I got asked this question during my appointment for a dx. When asked what it meant, I just said the statement is true (yet I still knew what, "Don't count your chickens before they hatch" meant). Rofl, I should have asked, "Could you use that in a sentence?"

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 7:03 am

A loner gains no false friends.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 7:14 am

unfortunately the response that i was going to post has already been posted:

Ambivalence wrote:
It's silly, because stones almost never roll, and on the rare occasions when a stone does roll, it doesn't roll for very long before it stops. The short time that a rolling stone is rolling for wouldn't be enough for it to gather moss even if it were standing still.

obviously i have been taught what it really means, but what ambivalence said was how i falteringly perceived it before i was taught the true meaning.

my alternative analysis of the proverb when i was young was that moss "grows" and is not "gathered".
moss can only be gathered if it is already in existence.
if moss is already in existence somewhere, then it will have it's roots pointing downward into the medium in which it is growing, and it's topside foliage will be the surface upon which the rolling stone rolls.
since the moss is anchored into the medium it is growing in, then that anchoring force is far greater than the attraction between the foliage and the surface of the rolling stone.
in the event that the stone is very heavy, and it uproots the moss by an impact trauma, then that moss will be flung into the air and also have extremely low odds of somehow becoming married to the surface of the stone due to the fact that even if it did come into contact with the surface of the stone, that surface would be moving rapidly and not provide any stable platform for the moss to take root (in the unlikely scenario that the stone is covered in mud or soil).

it could also mean that kate moss is not attracted to mick jagger or who ever the other band members are which i could not be bothered to look up.

i am ashamed to be unable to prevent myself from clicking "submit" on this response

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 4:20 pm

b9 wrote:
unfortunately the response that i was going to post has already been posted:
Ambivalence wrote:

obviously i have been taught what it really means, but what ambivalence said was how i falteringly perceived it before i was taught the true meaning.

my alternative analysis of the proverb when i was young was that moss "grows" and is not "gathered".
moss can only be gathered if it is already in existence.
if moss is already in existence somewhere, then it will have it's roots pointing downward into the medium in which it is growing, and it's topside foliage will be the surface upon which the rolling stone rolls.
since the moss is anchored into the medium it is growing in, then that anchoring force is far greater than the attraction between the foliage and the surface of the rolling stone.
in the event that the stone is very heavy, and it uproots the moss by an impact trauma, then that moss will be flung into the air and also have extremely low odds of somehow becoming married to the surface of the stone due to the fact that even if it did come into contact with the surface of the stone, that surface would be moving rapidly and not provide any stable platform for the moss to take root (in the unlikely scenario that the stone is covered in mud or soil).

Oh! THIS is what has confused me all this time! Since the wording was "gathered no moss", I thought the stone had to gather the moss....i.e., I wondered how a stone could gather, or "collect" moss anyway? I imagined a stone rolling down a hill, "picking up" no moss, but I thought how would the stone collect moss on it anyway, as the moss is rooted into the ground? Totally confusing......but I guess what it REALLY means is, the stone that sits and doesn´t roll has moss growing on it.....okay.....I get it now.....

b9 wrote:
it could also mean that kate moss is not attracted to mick jagger or who ever the other band members are which i could not be bothered to look up.

:lmao:
Well, this is my favorite explanation!

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 7:29 pm

What is moss supposed to be a metaphor of?

daspie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 1:19 am

It means that if a person goes on to change a profession one after the other she will not become authority in any of those just as for a stone to gather moss (for moss to grow on it) requires time. If it is rolling the moss cannot grow on it.
For more difficult parts of languages see http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt135648.html
whose subtlety, most of you will not believe.

wogaboo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Sep 2010, 3:31 am

I interpret it to mean that if you don't sit still and focus on your goal, you wont accomplish anything.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 3:04 pm

Funny, I guess I really missed the point all this time! You see, I thought it was preferable to be the "rolling stone". This is a stone of action, rather than a stone just sitting around waiting for things to happen: instead, this stone is free to do as it will, unencumbered by moss weighing it down and making it static. I therefore assumed, up until now, that it was a "happier" stone.

How could I have been so wrong about this? Why would a stone WANT to be covered with moss?