ESFJ 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
ENFJ 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
ENTJ 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 229

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 5:24 pm

Argh I can never understand these tests. I mean part of it, I know, is that these are idea-categories, they're not real in any genuine sense of the word. And they don't even close to map to reality. And that gets me every time, because they refuse to settle in my head in any genuine way. I have serious trouble understanding ideas that have no direct correlation with real life. Also, my type ends up different every time I take the test.

But for the sake of a poll, I'll try my hardest to pretend this is meaningful, and paste which ones I seem to identify with today. Bolding the parts that most apply to me.

E vs. I

Extraversion (E)

I like getting my energy from active involvement in events and having a lot of different activities. I’m excited when I’m around people and I like to energize other people. I like moving into action and making things happen. I generally feel at home in the world. I often understand a problem better when I can talk out loud about it and hear what others have to say.

The following statements generally apply to me:

* I am seen as “outgoing” or as a “people person.”
* I feel comfortable in groups and like working in them.
* I have a wide range of friends and know lots of people.
* I sometimes jump too quickly into an activity and don’t allow enough time to think it over.
* Before I start a project, I sometimes forget to stop and get clear on what I want to do and why.

Introversion (I)

I like getting my energy from dealing with the ideas, pictures, memories, and reactions that are inside my head, in my inner world. I often prefer doing things alone or with one or two people I feel comfortable with. I take time to reflect so that I have a clear idea of what I’ll be doing when I decide to act. Ideas are almost solid things for me. Sometimes I like the idea of something better than the real thing.

* I am seen as “reflective” or “reserved.”
* I feel comfortable being alone and like things I can do on my own.
* I prefer to know just a few people well.
* I sometimes spend too much time reflecting and don’t move into action quickly enough.
* I sometimes forget to check with the outside world to see if my ideas really fit the experience.

Those are the parts that I know apply to me (and the parts that didn't utterly confuse me). I find it irritating that this thing seems to think that thinking of ideas as real or getting confused between an idea and reality, has anything to do with whether I get my energy inwardly or outwardly, or anything to do with how much socializing I can handle before I have to recharge, and that kind of thing. I hate it when people confuse ideas with reality and much of what I do all the time seems to be trying to explain to people the ways that reality is different from the ideas that they are confusing with it. I also don't know why being introverted would make a person less "at home in the world". But anyway, I seem to pretty obviously find more I than E traits, so then, I'm an I for the purposes of this crap.

S vs. N

Sensing (S)

Paying attention to physical reality, what I see, hear, touch, taste, and smell. I’m concerned with what is actual, present, current, and real. I notice facts and I remember details that are important to me. I like to see the practical use of things and learn best when I see how to use what I’m learning. Experience speaks to me louder than words.

* I remember events as snapshots of what actually happened.
* I solve problems by working through facts until I understand the problem.
* I am pragmatic and look to the “bottom line.”
* I start with facts and then form a big picture.
* I trust experience first and trust words and symbols less.
* Sometimes I pay so much attention to facts, either present or past, that I miss new possibilities.

Intuition (N)

Paying the most attention to impressions or the meaning and patterns of the information I get. I would rather learn by thinking a problem through than by hands-on experience. I’m interested in new things and what might be possible, so that I think more about the future than the past. I like to work with symbols or abstract theories, even if I don’t know how I will use them. I remember events more as an impression of what it was like than as actual facts or details of what happened.

* I remember events by what I read “between the lines” about their meaning.
* I solve problems by leaping between different ideas and possibilities.
* I am interested in doing things that are new and different.
* I like to see the big picture, then to find out the facts.
* I trust impressions, symbols, and metaphors more than what I actually experienced
* Sometimes I think so much about new possibilities that I never look at how to make them a reality.

More category-hate on this one. It doesn't even begin to cover how I experience the world. But it seems that I have to go with S.

T vs. F

Thinking (T)

When I make a decision, I like to find the basic truth or principle to be applied, regardless of the specific situation involved. I like to analyze pros and cons, and then be consistent and logical in deciding. I try to be impersonal, so I won’t let my personal wishes--or other people’s wishes--influence me.

* I enjoy technical and scientific fields where logic is important.
* I notice inconsistencies.
* I look for logical explanations or solutions to most everything.
* I make decisions with my head and want to be fair.
* I believe telling the truth is more important than being tactful.
* Sometimes I miss or don’t value the “people” part of a situation.
* I can be seen as too task-oriented, uncaring, or indifferent.

Feeling (F)

I believe I can make the best decisions by weighing what people care about and the points-of-view of persons involved in a situation. I am concerned with values and what is the best for the people involved. I like to do whatever will establish or maintain harmony. In my relationships, I appear caring, warm, and tactful.

* I have a people or communications orientation.
* I am concerned with harmony and nervous when it is missing.
* I look for what is important to others and express concern for others.
* I make decisions with my heart and want to be compassionate.
* I believe being tactful is more important than telling the “cold” truth.
* Sometimes I miss seeing or communicating the “hard truth” of situations.
* I am sometimes experienced by others as too idealistic, mushy, or indirect.

Yet again, I feel like the "core" of each idea is something totally alien to how I experience the world, and I simply end up being one or the other based on various peripheral things that are supposedly associated with that core. So I'm T. Never mind how I actually approach things. :x

J vs. P

Judging (J)

I use my decision-making (Judging) preference (whether it is Thinking or Feeling) in my outer life. To others, I seem to prefer a planned or orderly way of life, like to have things settled and organized, feel more comfortable when decisions are made, and like to bring life under control as much as possible.

Since this pair only describes what I prefer in the outer world, I may, inside, feel flexible and open to new information (which I am).

Do not confuse Judging with judgmental, in its negative sense about people and events. They are not related.

* I like to have things decided.
* I appear to be task oriented.
* I like to make lists of things to do.
* I like to get my work done before playing.
* I plan work to avoid rushing just before a deadline.
* Sometimes I focus so much on the goal that I miss new information.

Perceiving (P)

I use my perceiving function (whether it is Sensing or Intuition) in my outer life. To others, I seem to prefer a flexible and spontaneous way of life, and I like to understand and adapt to the world rather than organize it. Others see me staying open to new experiences and information.

Since this pair only describes what I prefer in the outer world, inside I may feel very planful or decisive (which I am).

Remember, in type language perceiving means “preferring to take in information.” It does not mean being “perceptive” in the sense of having quick and accurate perceptions about people and events.

* I like to stay open to respond to whatever happens.
* I appear to be loose and casual. I like to keep plans to a minimum.
* I like to approach work as play or mix work and play.
* I work in bursts of energy.
* I am stimulated by an approaching deadline.
* Sometimes I stay open to new information so long I miss making decisions when they are needed.

So again, regardless of anything real, I'm P. Because I highlighted more on one side of a meaningless divide than another.

Doing this has reminded me exactly why I utterly loathe the MBTI and all related ideas and tests. It's not just that it's abstract. It's possible to be abstract and yet tied to real things in an obvious manner. This is abstract and only glances sidelong at reality. It's like it bounces off and the edges don't match. Don't even know how to describe it. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

So supposedly I'm an "ISTP". Let me go through what it says about each type and likewise mark which parts are the most accurate. (I don't mark parts that I can't understand whether they're accurate or not, even if they might be accurate, either here or in the above crap.) Note that when they say "patterns" they mean something utterly different than when I say "patterns" (I mean something incredibly concrete, they mean something incredibly abstract), so it's hard to know whether to say yes when it talks about seeing patterns in things (since I see patterns but in an utterly non-abstract manner that has nothing to do with living in a world of ideas and thoughts).

ISTJ
Quiet, serious, earn success by thoroughness and dependability. Practical, matter-of-fact, realistic, and responsible. Decide logically what should be done and work toward it steadily, regardless of distractions. Take pleasure in making everything orderly and organized – their work, their home, their life. Value traditions and loyalty.

ISFJ
Quiet, friendly, responsible, and conscientious. Committed and steady in meeting their obligations. Thorough, painstaking, and accurate. Loyal, considerate, notice and remember specifics about people who are important to them, concerned with how others feel. Strive to create an orderly and harmonious environment at work and at home.

INFJ
Seek meaning and connection in ideas, relationships, and material possessions. Want to understand what motivates people and are insightful about others. Conscientious and committed to their firm values. Develop a clear vision about how best to serve the common good. Organized and decisive in implementing their vision.

INTJ
Have original minds and great drive for implementing their ideas and achieving their goals. Quickly see patterns in external events and develop long-range explanatory perspectives. When committed, organize a job and carry it through. Skeptical and independent, have high standards of competence and performance – for themselves and others.

ISTP
Tolerant and flexible, quiet observers until a problem appears, then act quickly to find workable solutions. Analyze what makes things work and readily get through large amounts of data to isolate the core of practical problems. Interested in cause and effect, organize facts using logical principles, value efficiency.

ISFP
Quiet, friendly, sensitive, and kind. Enjoy the present moment, what’s going on around them. Like to have their own space and to work within their own time frame. Loyal and committed to their values and to people who are important to them. Dislike disagreements and conflicts, do not force their opinions or values on others.

INFP
Idealistic, loyal to their values and to people who are important to them. Want an external life that is congruent with their values. Curious, quick to see possibilities, can be catalysts for implementing ideas. Seek to understand people and to help them fulfill their potential. Adaptable, flexible, and accepting unless a value is threatened.

INTP
Seek to develop logical explanations for everything that interests them. Theoretical and abstract, interested more in ideas than in social interaction. Quiet, contained, flexible, and adaptable. Have unusual ability to focus in depth to solve problems in their area of interest. Skeptical, sometimes critical, always analytical.

ESTP
Flexible and tolerant, they take a pragmatic approach focused on immediate results. Theories and conceptual explanations bore them – they want to act energetically to solve the problem. Focus on the here-and-now, spontaneous, enjoy each moment that they can be active with others. Enjoy material comforts and style. Learn best through doing.

ESFP
Outgoing, friendly, and accepting. Exuberant lovers of life, people, and material comforts. Enjoy working with others to make things happen. Bring common sense and a realistic approach to their work, and make work fun. Flexible and spontaneous, adapt readily to new people and environments. Learn best by trying a new skill with other people.

ENFP
Warmly enthusiastic and imaginative. See life as full of possibilities. Make connections between events and information very quickly, and confidently proceed based on the patterns they see. Want a lot of affirmation from others, and readily give appreciation and support. Spontaneous and flexible, often rely on their ability to improvise and their verbal fluency.

ENTP
Quick, ingenious, stimulating, alert, and outspoken. Resourceful in solving new and challenging problems. Adept at generating conceptual possibilities and then analyzing them strategically. Good at reading other people. Bored by routine, will seldom do the same thing the same way, apt to turn to one new interest after another.

ESTJ
Practical, realistic, matter-of-fact. Decisive, quickly move to implement decisions. Organize projects and people to get things done, focus on getting results in the most efficient way possible. Take care of routine details. Have a clear set of logical standards, systematically follow them and want others to also. Forceful in implementing their plans.

ESFJ
Warmhearted, conscientious, and cooperative. Want harmony in their environment, work with determination to establish it. Like to work with others to complete tasks accurately and on time. Loyal, follow through even in small matters. Notice what others need in their day-by-day lives and try to provide it. Want to be appreciated for who they are and for what they contribute.

ENFJ
Warm, empathetic, responsive, and responsible. Highly attuned to the emotions, needs, and motivations of others. Find potential in everyone, want to help others fulfill their potential. May act as catalysts for individual and group growth. Loyal, responsive to praise and criticism. Sociable, facilitate others in a group, and provide inspiring leadership.

ENTJ
Frank, decisive, assume leadership readily. Quickly see illogical and inefficient procedures and policies, develop and implement comprehensive systems to solve organizational problems. Enjoy long-term planning and goal setting. Usually well informed, well read, enjoy expanding their knowledge and passing it on to others. Forceful in presenting their ideas.

So by doing each letter individually, I'm an ISTP, but going through each personality type as a whole, I'm an ISFP. WTFWTFWTF. :wall: :wall: :wall: So go back to T vs. F, but get the information from a different site this time.

Logical - Thinkers base their decisions on rational thought and logic, and they tend to be objective. They like justice and standards. Thinkers tend to be more interested in ideas, and the reasoning behind decisions or concepts. For them, emotions are secondary, or passing, and of less importance. To Feelers, they may seem cold-hearted and remote.

Emotional Responses - Thinkers are as likely as Feelers to experience emotions. However, they are less likely to show those emotions; in fact, emotional reactions can be embarrassing to them.

Personal - Feelers' decisions are often based on "gut feelings." Their outlook is more subjective. They like harmony and often energized though appreciation and encouragement. For Feelers, emotion is more important than reasoning, rationality, or logical discourse. To Thinkers, they may seem soft-hearted and illogical.

Emotional Responses - Feelers are more likely to wear their hearts on their sleeves. However, if this preference is combined with introversion they will not share their feelings openly.

So on that one I'm more F than T. Despite the fact that my "gut feelings" aren't based on "emotion" at all, but rather on a different way of dealing with information and the world in general. I really don't like the way this thing seems to think that values-based ways of dealing with problems, working from gut feelings, and preferring emotions to thought are all the same thing or based in the same thing. I'd lay money that the whole idea was thought up by someone who couldn't tell the difference between those things. I definitely make decisions based on values, and on gut feelings, but I do not put feelings above logic. (Although I generally am not much for "logic" either because that's a kind of thinking that has to do with abstract stuff that's foreign to me. So "logic versus emotions" is one of those things that just irritates me. Especially since they're not opposites or mutually exclusive, which is in fact true of most of the supposedly opposite things on this test.)

Okay so I'll just go with ISFP. Even though I really, really hate this thing and what I've been through trying to get some result. I'd rather have just said the test was crap, but I really wanted to see the answers to this poll, so I went through with it.

Katiebun2281
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Feb 2011, 9:40 pm

My personality test score is ISFJ and I am:
introverted 78
sensing 62
feeling 62
judging 33

Sounds about right. I rely a lot on intuition and I am very shy and quiet in social situations.

Woodpeace
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Feb 2011, 4:59 am

I test as an INFP and I fit the descriptions I have read about that type fairly well.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

21 Feb 2011, 7:37 am

ISTJ, but only parts of the description fit. For one thing, it implies some sense of planning - but that's not gonna happen any time soon. :roll:

theexternvoid
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Feb 2011, 2:06 pm

INTJ - literally scored 100% introvert and 100% thinking.

Interesting that INTJ is the most common here, because it's one of the rarest in the general population.

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 2:34 pm

theexternvoid wrote:
Interesting that INTJ is the most common here, because it's one of the rarest in the general population.

Yeah. I think the estimate is 1% of the general population are INTJ.

Digsy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Feb 2011, 9:40 pm

theexternvoid wrote:
INTJ - literally scored 100% introvert and 100% thinking.

I don't consider it odd, I have a perfectly plausible explanation for it.
The poll tells me that INTJ's and INTP's are the two majority catagories of ASD to seek out new answers and the WrongPlanet forum, to baldy go where no aspie has gone before.

Xinro
Raven
Raven

21 Feb 2011, 9:44 pm

INTJ (at work)
INTP (socially)

justarandomperson

21 Feb 2011, 9:48 pm

I thought INTJ for years, but more recently have started to consider INTP more accurate. I voted INTP.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 12:14 am

I'm an ISFJ Sweet Pea. :P

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 12:20 am

I'm either INTJ or INFJ, depending on my mood when I take the test.

Chama
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2011, 12:35 am

I'm ISFP.
I'm actually really sensitive to others' feelings, but actions, not so much. People so often act differently than they feel that I don't know how to respond to them. D:

NcNbl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 3:16 am

that's so cool!
i've been wondering if you guys have talked about MBTI here..
and i think i recall running into a thread..
most of my friends and favorite friends are INTJ's..

i'm ENTJ..
though i'm sorry i'm an NT..

anyway.. hi! :)

Want4Rain
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Aug 2011, 11:28 am

I haven't had a chance to look through other MBTI threads so I apologize if this has been said already but I feel compelled to point out a few common misconceptions.

Personality is not essence. It is... a set of symptoms. The root of the symptom, the hidden 'way of being' or set of innate talents (seeing the big picture, naturally focusing on details) can make a set of preferences (such as being seen as iNtuitive or being more Sensory.) Just because you prefer and excel at seeing the 'big picture' (which seems to me, a very encompassing aspergers trait) doesn't mean you can't see the details.

There are several ways of getting to a perception of being iNtuitive, each different at it's source. Same with being perceived as being a Thinker or Feeler. I highly doubt anyone with autism or aspergers could qualify as an Extraverted Feeler unless the way the came to being perceived as having some degree of autism was not via a lack of social skills.

Additionally, MBTI is a sliding scale that (IMO) really should also have an intensity designation. For example, one can test on the fence of INFJ and INTJ {EDITED} and is a passionate person about both T/F function (in other words they are very passionate people who prefer to make exclusively Thinking based decisions, they have a very firm and finely honed value system) Or they can between ISFJ and INFP, have a very apathetic attitude which leads to testing several different types.

I'm still working on the theory of all of this and recently MBTI stopped being as interesting as it was before. Now that I have a strong suspicion of -being- aspergers and seeing a correlation between the symptom of personality and the specialized talents and drawbacks of aspergers/autism, I feel a renewed interest. I've consistently tested between INTJ and INTP though I identify with being INTJ (with children and pets demand a sort of flexibility that can be seen as P.)

Ironically, I betcha most aspies are NT's. ;)

I apologize for not reviewing this post or editing it. If I start down that obsessive path, I'll have a novel written by the time I get the courage to post this.... so here it is!

Last edited by Want4Rain on 07 Aug 2011, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 1:31 pm

I'm classified as INFP - 78% I, 50% N, 38% F and 67% P.

But I seem to get a different result every time I take this test.

Introvert vs Extrovert - I'm a sociable introvert, if that makes any sense. When I'm in a social mood, I act very sociable, talking non-stop, etc. And I readily interact even with people most NT extroverts ignore, such as cashiers or janitors. But I need alone time to relax, and I can happily stay alone for long stretches of time without feeling lonely.

Intuitive vs Sensing - not sure what that's supposed to mean. I'm highly creative and often 'in my own world' as a result, and I'm constantly theorizing about things. But I'm not at all 'intuitive' in the sense of depending on some kind of magical intuition to decide what to do. I think that sort of thing is stupid. Your intuition is just subconscious processing and is just as prone to error as conscious thinking, it just uses different information.

Thinking vs Feeling - don't seem like opposites to me. Both strongly describe how I react to the world. I have a moral system based on core principles that I strongly believe in, and elaborated by thinking and reasoning logically. They're just different layers, not opposite processing styles.

Judging vs Perceiving - this one makes the least sense to me. I have executive dysfunction, which I guess makes me P rather than J, but on the other hand I don't like change and often stick to routines a lot so would that make me J? I really suspect they're not actually opposites. I also have no clue why they're named the way they are as the names seem completely unrelated to the traits they describe.

Iloveshoujoai
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Aug 2011, 1:33 pm

Well my problem with this test, and so many other personality tests is that a single type is not enough to pin down how one handles the full range of everyday experiences. My type is ISTP for example. It describes me perfectly... when I'm solving a logic problem, when I want to know the nature of reality. It makes perfect sense to focus on "what is" and to rely on thinking skills instead of blind emotion, to be open to possibilities without making initial judgments (STP) when we are trying to solve a logic problem.

The issue is that life isn't all about solving these kind of problems. If I am just simply day dreaming STP means little if anything to me in those circumstances. If I'm asking myself how I feel about something in order to make a decision or trying to come up with a solution to a creative problem for example I'm using a different set of skills. I have no problem using my intuition or my feeling skills then. So it really depends on what I'm doing as to what my dominant personality is. If we were to be adaptable we would be a different type in every area of our life. If I don't use all of the characteristics I'm screwed in life. So maybe I'm ISTP just because I focus on those kind of problems a lot and have developed skill in them? Maybe what sort of ideas or problems we focus on tells a lot about what type we receive in the Meyer Briggs test.

I would rather more of the questions be phrased into specific dilemmas, perhaps that would be more telling.