Do you find it easier to write things down than say them?

Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 1:18 am

Talking is over rated, it seems easier to convey your thoughts and feelings by writing them out, either on a forum
or some other media online, or on paper, I tend to have a major disconnect between my brain and mouth

Berlin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Oct 2010, 1:20 am

That may be the case, but I can't only do writing in my line of work. And it is something I want to improve on.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 2:21 am

I have been told I appear more intelligent in written form than when I talk. :wink:

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 6:30 am

I have always been like that. If I have a problem, such as in school, I write to the teacher instead of talking to him or her. All of my teachers always say Im a good writer. I also have a journal. I love to write!

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 7:19 am

I'm much better at communicating with the written word than the spoken word.

When I'm speaking, I grope for the right words/phrasing, I go off on tangents, lose track of my own point, ramble on in far greater detail than needed . . . :roll: When I write, I can avoid those mistakes. For example: without this mention of it, none of you would know that, in the middle of typing this, I went off on a 5 minute tangent about a verbal faux paux I made in a recent conversation with an acquaintance, and how I could have avoided it. :oops: Also, I tend to make my point and then provide supporting arguments. A reader can skip the supporting arguments if they want, while a listener is kinda stuck waiting till I finish. And lastly - I tend to speak (and write) more formally than most. In conversation, the use of complex, grammatically correct sentences organized into paragraphs seems to confuse people, while it is just accepted in written communications.

GrimmRomance
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2010, 7:36 am

Yes. Talking, to me, is incredibly stressful. I rarely understand everything said to me, I have trouble visualizing what is being said, and in some odd way I just don't hear a large fraction of spoken words. I'm in no way hearing impaired, but it's as though my mind shuts out most verbal communication. But God knows I work hard on conversations I have.

Writing comes easily to me. The words are all here in my mind and through writing I can express them accurately.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 8:22 am

yes, emotional stuff is easier to write because I can gather my thoughts

crescentfresh420
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Oct 2010, 8:44 am

Friskeygirl wrote:
Talking is over rated, it seems easier to convey your thoughts and feelings by writing them out, either on a forum
or some other media online, or on paper, I tend to have a major disconnect between my brain and mouth

Stalking is also overrated. I hardly ever stalk anyone, but if I think they are stalking me I might consider stalking them. Stalkercoughcough

ninszot
Toucan
Toucan

10 Oct 2010, 1:53 pm

is this effective for communicating with doctors?
do they accept/respect this mode of communication?

I have extreme difficulties getting what I need from health proffessionals.
I am begining to feel like the problem is that I'm the one speaking - and perhaps I should stop that (speaking) because it's pointless if it just gets me marginalized or regarded as "difficult"

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2010, 6:08 pm

This is why I love being HERE so much!

I prefer writing to talking 100%

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 6:17 pm

A pen doesn't cry the way that I do.

leeloodallas
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Oct 2010, 7:00 pm

Yes, definitely. I usually come off to people as an airhead who can't seem to articulate or express a thought, but when I write, it's more of an accurate portrayal of how I'd like to sound in person. So communicating in writing is 100% easier for me.

Last edited by leeloodallas on 10 Oct 2010, 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 7:32 pm

Berlin wrote:
Yes. I think I come across as incoherent and scatter-brained when I'm discussing or explaining things. This is pretty common Aspies I believe. Writing is a much better format in terms of expressing ideas.

This. Being able to take my time to organize my thoughts is very helpful.

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Oct 2010, 9:16 am

Berlin wrote:
Yes. I think I come across as incoherent and scatter-brained when I'm discussing or explaining things. This is pretty common Aspies I believe. Writing is a much better format in terms of expressing ideas.

I do, too. It's like I know what I want to say, but it gets all jumbled up on the way out. People try to take advantage of you verbally because they have the gift of gab - so they'll outtalk you or overtalk you so that you never get to make your point.

CockneyRebel wrote:
A pen doesn't cry the way that I do.

That was SO beautifully put!

Wraythen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Oct 2010, 11:35 am

No!

I find it harder. Much harder. In fact, it's close to impossible to get my original message out as is.

And that's saying something, considering I'm already terrible at verbal communication.

Edited again: Actually, that's not entirely true: Short bursts of text, I'm fine with. Walls of text, and the above applies completely.

Last edited by Wraythen on 12 Oct 2010, 1:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 11:37 am

Todesking wrote:
I have been told I appear more intelligent in written form than when I talk. :wink:

I have been told that as well. My English teacher in college said no one would believe the stuff I had written could have come from me. Compliment or not? :lol: