Does anyone find sad movies about robots heart wrenching?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 7:51 am

I'd had no interest in WALL-E, but my fellow Aspie friend made me watch it, and I found it unusually touching. It felt very Aspergian to me--a robot all alone in the world, communication without words.

Data in Star Trek: TNG always seemed rather sad to me as well. I know that he isn't really a "robot" and that he is not a sad character, but his struggle to be human always struck a chord with me. I find him very relatable: The Sherlock Holmes episode, where he gets so into the story, it's like an obsession; the movie First Contact, when he experiences touch for the first time.

Clyde
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Oct 2010, 9:24 am

leejosepho wrote:
Here is where some simple logic can spare us some struggle: Robots are just as painlessly expendable as toothpicks, and giving them any kind of identity much beyond that can only lead to confusion all around.

How do you know that is a logical statement that can spare us some struggle? How can you be so sure that statement is logical? What gives you the right to say what does and doesn't deserve identity?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 9:58 am

Clyde wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
Here is where some simple logic can spare us some struggle: Robots are just as painlessly expendable as toothpicks, and giving them any kind of identity much beyond that can only lead to confusion all around.

How do you know that is a logical statement that can spare us some struggle?

From personal experience. Batteries and such can *appear* to give "life" to a seeming "creation", but that does not make said "creation" an actual creature.

Clyde wrote:
How can you be so sure that statement is logical?

Again: From personal experience. I worked as an industrial fabricator for many years, and I have constructed many things of various types ... and while some of them have seemed to have "personalities" of their own, not one of them has ever become an actual being.

Clyde wrote:
What gives you the right to say what does and doesn't deserve identity?

I have not claimed any such right. The One who created us holds that particular right, exclusively, and any man or woman who might believe s/he can equally create is delusional.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 12:42 pm

My favorite robot is, and always will be, Edward Scissorhands. He has feelings! And it's so sad how they get abused throughout the second half of the movie...

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 5:31 pm

I totally agree, and thought "AI" was one of the most disturbing movies I've ever seen. When most people enjoyed "Toy Story", I was really bothered by it. Because the characters have a human-level consciousness, but they're treated like toys. I found that very frightening. To me it was like a metaphor for man's inhumanity to man. 8O

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 5:43 pm

pineapple wrote:
I totally agree, and thought "AI" was one of the most disturbing movies I've ever seen. When most people enjoyed "Toy Story", I was really bothered by it. Because the characters have a human-level consciousness, but they're treated like toys. I found that very frightening. To me it was like a metaphor for man's inhumanity to man. 8O

I have not seen either of those movies, but yes, man's inhumanity to man can certainly be shown in that way ... and those kinds of movies can also offer opportunities for a bit of outlet of the empathy we actually *do* feel for others in a world where we are at times victims ourselves and can do little or virtually nothing about that for anyone.

"Short Circuit" was about the most moving example my wife and I have ever seen.

Shadwell
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 8:12 pm

Moon while not strictly a robot movie is an emotionally charged master piece.

Squirrelrat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2010, 8:16 pm

A.I.! :cry:

Clyde
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Oct 2010, 9:05 pm

leejosepho wrote:
I have not claimed any such right. The One who created us holds that particular right, exclusively, and any man or woman who might believe s/he can equally create is delusional.

Oh I get it. You're religious. So you believe in fairy tales. Just not inanimate objects actually feeling something. Okay.