Page 2 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

leeloodallas
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Nov 2010, 3:51 am

Books: I'm not even a consistent reader or writer. Novels, notebooks, sketchbooks, manuals, I even bought a thesaurus when I'm the most thesaurus-y person I know already. Many books I have I haven't even finished, much less read. I know every book that I own, which is sad..

Ticket Stubs/ reciepts: I have a lot of them for absolutely no logical reason. I didn't even realize I was collecting them either, I just have a lot.

DVD's: own a lot of them due to $3-5 movie sections at Big Lot's, WalMart, and Target. I was a film major and I have an avid film "interest". This ties into the book collecting because if a movie was based on a book, I have to have it and vice versa.

Protractors, Rulers, & Compasses: don't ask...

State Quarters and foreign coins: Missing only Texas of the 50 States, also have Guam, PR, DC, etc. Nearly had a nerdgasm when I found a Euro coin, so now I'm a collector I guess.

Bags: handbags, plastic bags, paper/pretty shopping bags (like Sanrio, or Victoria's Secret), etc.

Water bottles: there's just always a lot of them in my room. I swear I'm not a hoarder; just bad with remembering. I think it's funny, similar to the little girl from Signs.

I keep everything in my room(s) neat and organized (ok apparently I collect bins/boxes/separators too). You wouldn't even know that I collect things upon first glance.

silvercat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Nov 2010, 7:23 am

Oh yes, I love thrift shops and flea markets.
If I find something beautiful that is not too expensive or too heavy it will come home with me. It makes me very happy if I find something extraordinary for a small price .
I collect among other things : old toys, vintage furniture and clothes, old decoration books and magazines, ...

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 10:17 am

leeloodallas wrote:
Books: I'm not even a consistent reader or writer. Novels, notebooks, sketchbooks, manuals, I even bought a thesaurus when I'm the most thesaurus-y person I know already. Many books I have I haven't even finished, much less read. I know every book that I own, which is sad..

Books: me, too. And I don't read either! Not much, anyway. There's no real pleasure in it, because I "proofread"; that is, I'm so concerned with sentence structure and grammar and punctuation that I completely miss the point. A typo can ruin my day! Also, I'm fascinated by the copyright pages of books and usually don't get very far past them. Finally, there are normally so many long prefaces and introductions in the books I would otherwise read that I can't really get beyond them in time to actually start reading the book before I lose interest.

And it was all for the want of a nail.

JeffDmetalgod
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Nov 2010, 10:18 am

YES! and its all related to my interests...here's some things I collect:
KISS memorabilia,bios,action figures,magazines,etc. I used to be a completist but financial reasons made me curb those impulses.
70's -early 80's action figures,Six Million dollar man,Micronauts,Masters of the Universe,Action team era GI Joe.
80's heavy metal basically anything relating to this! Have several hundred cassettes,videos, magazines,etc.
comic books mostly mid 70's-early 80's esp. Tomb of Dracula,Arion Lord of Atlantis,Star wars,Conan the Barbarian
vintage tv shows and cartoons like Thundarr the barbarian,Dungeons and Dragons,Super Friends,Shazam!,Isis,Wonder Woman,Man from Atlantis,etc.
80's movies even obscure films like Modenr girls,Dangerously close and Thunder Alley.
80's era roleplaying games like 2nd edition D&D,Dark Tower,Crossbows and Catapults,Hero Quest,Dungeon!
old Atari video games
I could go on and on...

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 12:20 pm

I collect Alice in Wonderland-related items. I bought a couple of figures, a comic book and a handful of plushies for my upcoming birthday, but there's still so much more to collect! Good thing Christmas is right around the corner! :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 12:33 pm

I also collect avatars.

T92
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Nov 2010, 12:46 pm

I've collected things before, and I guess maybe I will do so again.

Stones: Whenever I saw a nice stone, I'd take in with me. It was pretty, so I wanted it. :3
Cuddly toys: When I was small, I was scared of the darkness so I wanted to have as many cuddly toys as possible, because it made me feel safer. : )
Medieval-theme items: Everything from action figures to outfits and real swords. Because I like history, and somehow I just think these things are really pretty. :3
Manga books: Because I read a lot of manga, and want to have the books. It just feels really nice to have all the books in a series. (and I also want to support the authors instead of just reading it online.)
Old items: Anything from cauldrons to vintage/old fashioned clothing to old fashioned toys. :D
Strange glasses and goggles: For a while I collected them because I liked to use them as a part of my outfits. I'm thinking about beginning to collect them again. :D

Also, I'm strangely almost unable to throw away any of my belongings. I get really easily attached to items, like I'm nostalgic or sentimental over it. : )

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 1:18 pm

Yes! I collect kitty figurines and kitty themed things. I love kitty cats. I also collect books on topics of interest to me. It's my goal to have my own personal library. I collect dvds for the same reason, and last but not least, I've taken to collecting ds games.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

leeloodallas
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Nov 2010, 1:21 pm

Quote:
"RainingRoses"Books: me, too. And I don't read either! Not much, anyway. There's no real pleasure in it, because I "proofread"; that is, I'm so concerned with sentence structure and grammar and punctuation that I completely miss the point. A typo can ruin my day! Also, I'm fascinated by the copyright pages of books and usually don't get very far past them. Finally, there are normally so many long prefaces and introductions in the books I would otherwise read that I can't really get beyond them in time to actually start reading the book before I lose interest.
I'm the same way with the introductions and prefaces. When they go past 3-4 pages I just give up and try to go straight for the story before I get bored and move on to another book I'll never finish:). Typos irritate me too! Especially in textbooks; goes against the purpose of teaching college level whatever if you can't even spell.

And certain authors have funny writing styles so sometimes it's hard to get the meaning of the passage when you're just trying to figure out what the hell you just read...*cough*Faulkner*cough*. :? I can finish books though the chances are sporadic. Now I know that the ones I actually read cover to cover have to be of a certain genre: Sci Fi/ Fantasy. And the words can't be too small and close together.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 1:41 pm

persian85033 wrote:
Yes! I collect kitty figurines and kitty themed things. I love kitty cats. I also collect books on topics of interest to me. It's my goal to have my own personal library. I collect dvds for the same reason, and last but not least, I've taken to collecting ds games.

I used to collect porcelain kitty figurines when I was a small child. However, many of them ended up broken because... well... I was a small child! :lol:

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 2:06 pm

I have a collection of minor sentimental items (from a bag of break lights and a rock to trophies from contests), but I don't really collect anything as such.

LongJohnSilver
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Nov 2010, 2:33 pm

I collect, or have collected over the years:

- Memorabilia from a specific Broadway musical I saw as a teenager, including playbills complete with all of the autographs I could get, albums and books by the stars of the show, etc. This is from ONE particular show, not from any others. Although I enjoy a lot of different shows, I don't collect memorabilia from them.

- Collector plates from two specific artists. I finally got rid of these a few years ago.

- Beanie Babies. I had a little over 200 of these, but have reduced my collection to around 140. I would like to get rid of these, as I am no longer interested in them, but I can't find anyone else who wants them.

- Board games, card games and video games. I have over 400 board/card games and close to 600 video games for many different platforms. For those of you who know about Magic: The Gathering, I have over 30,000 cards from that game, even though I never play.

- VHS videocassettes and DVDs of prerecorded movies. I don't collect VHS videocassettes anymore, but I still have a lot of them. I am working on replacing all of my VHS videocassettes with DVD versions. Once I get a DVD copy of a movie I originally had in VHS format, I put the VHS copies in storage. For some reason I just can't get rid of them.

- Books from a few different genres I am interested in, especially fantasy and science fiction. I don't have much of a chance to read, so it is quite likely that many of the books I currently have will never get read by me.

- Electronic gadgets of all kinds. Some of these electronic gadgets fall under the video game and DVD categories.

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I have a 200-square-foot storage unit rental stacked floor to ceiling with my various collections, and the rental fee ain't cheap. - LJS

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 2:53 pm

I collect computers, phones, gadgets, etc.

I do sell them if I need money for some new computer, phone, or gadget though :P

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 4:35 pm

Yes, I collect ANYTHING to do with meerkats. My dream is to be featured on something like VHI's tottaly obsessed. My collection is in storage right now until my parents make up their minds about where they want to live.

I also used to collect My Little Ponies but since the oniline communiy is so jam packed full of bullies, I just customise them now. I enjoy customising more than collecting and if I came across a MOC TE Mimic or Rapunzel and had no way to sell them and no "bait" ponies on hand they would be customised. Only TAF Nightglider is sapred from my customising becuase she is my favorite pony because she reminds me of my favorite movie. I also buy LPS animals with the intention of customising them but some are downright cute I could never do that.

I collect vintage Lion King memerbellia too and anything vintage Lion King I can find at yard sales, flea markets and thirft stores. There's a lot of bullies in the Lion King community but Lion King was one of my first special intrests.

I'd collect bearded dragon things if I could actualy find anything. When I write my children's books about my pet bearded dragon, maybe there will be a few plush toys out there.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 1:37 pm

As I said in your other thread, I collect videogames and consoles, books, movies, and music (I have a modest vinyl collection growing at the moment).

I have a few other collections, like action figures, but I haven't done anything much with them in the last decade.

When I was younger I had a bottle cap collection, but I guess I didn't clean them well, because they got all stinky after a while, and I got tired of them and threw them out. I still get that itch though, every time I find a new one :oops: It's especially been good for bottle caps lately, ever since the whole "glass bottles is retro!" thing started. Before then, it was mostly just beer caps or rusty ones.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

09 Nov 2010, 2:48 pm

No. :wink:

but things collect me! :pig: