Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 8:47 pm

When I was a little kid I sometimes nodded or shook my head instead of saying "yes" or "no" when I was on the phone.

Julia_the_Great
Toucan
Toucan

16 Nov 2010, 10:46 pm

I watched Disney Channel way back when and some of the catchphrases are still in my "stock-phrases."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 12:32 am

CaroleTucson wrote:
When I was very little I didn't like pepper, or thought I didn't. I really had no idea what pepper was. I just knew I didn't like it.

So one day my uncle told me that the pepper on my scrambled eggs wasn't really pepper, it was "black salt", and of course I believed him, which made it ok to eat it.

I was in my 20's before I learned that there was no such thing as black salt.

same with me and my mother convincing me that peaches were "yellow apples." i didn't get wise to that until my teens.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 1:25 am

When I was a little kid, I thought adults were called "dults" because I never heard the 'a' part. I also thought you become an aunt or uncle when you become an adult so there I was calling my cousins my uncle since they were related to me. Now that they were adults, they were now my uncles. My mom still tells that story.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

17 Nov 2010, 4:11 am

My co-workers in high school had a weird sense of humor, they said very untrue things and said it very convincingly that I believed them...then I became the punch line 8O

Example: once they told me, "Did you know it is possible to get pregnant during oral sex"
Well he said it so matter of factly, I thought it was a new scientific breakthrough.
I said "really???" Then of course they laughed for days over that. well on that topic: mean people suck.
Anyway, I was so guliable and took most everything literally.

Now I cant believe I fell for that one.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 4:47 am

auntblabby wrote:
CaroleTucson wrote:
When I was very little I didn't like pepper, or thought I didn't. I really had no idea what pepper was. I just knew I didn't like it.

So one day my uncle told me that the pepper on my scrambled eggs wasn't really pepper, it was "black salt", and of course I believed him, which made it ok to eat it.

same with me and my mother convincing me that peaches were "yellow apples." i didn't get wise to that until my teens.

at camp they told us the reason our steacks were tough to eat was because they really were crocodile steacks. i thought i had eaten crocodile and was proud of it until....well, until now that i remember it and think "duh....."

Lindowyn
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Nov 2010, 8:24 am

When I was like 6 years old, I was once sitting in the bus with my mom.
At one of the bus stops a young woman, with lots of make-up entered the bus. I stared at her and said to my mum: Mommy, look at that clown! I never saw a clown in a bus!

Also my mom told me that when I swallow chewing gumm it will stay in my stomach for 7 years. I belived it until I was 14.

And I always made faces, especially if someone wanted to take a photo of me, so my mum told me that if I make to much faces, my face will standstill forever like this.. I believed it 8O

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 4:19 pm

jojobean wrote:
My co-workers in high school had a weird sense of humor, they said very untrue things and said it very convincingly that I believed them...then I became the punch line 8O

Example: once they told me, "Did you know it is possible to get pregnant during oral sex"
Well he said it so matter of factly, I thought it was a new scientific breakthrough.
I said "really???" Then of course they laughed for days over that. well on that topic: mean people suck.
Anyway, I was so guliable and took most everything literally.

Now I cant believe I fell for that one.

I have fallen for stupid things too or have gotten confused.

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 4:39 pm

Lindowyn wrote:

Also my mom told me that when I swallow chewing gumm it will stay in my stomach for 7 years. I belived it until I was 14.

This seems to be a very common myth. I wondered if it was true for a really long time.

greenheron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Nov 2010, 6:51 pm

In the first half of grade school, I figured out the gender thing, or so I thought. I theorized that in prepubertal days, both boys and girls had the prepubertal genitals of boys. Then, at puberty, boys' genitals developed, and the girls' genitals (the genitals of prepubertal boys, which prepubertal girls possessed) shrivelled and fell away. I attended a Catholic school, so my mind demanded an explanation of the bodies of nuns and I hypothesized that nuns had been girls whose prepubertal male genitals had not shriveled and sloughed off, and this had sealed their fate. Needless to say, I shared this world view with only one or two of my peers.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2010, 7:40 pm

CaroleTucson wrote:

Aw, that's cute. My dad did the same thing with pepper for my sister but told her it was special Peruvian pepper. Any time food was made with pepper she'd ask who ever had made it "Is it Peruvian pepper? Because that's the only kind I eat."

You know what though? There is actually such a thing as black salt. They sell it at whole foods as one of their gourmet Hawaiian salts. It's not a traditional kind of salt though, it's just a marketing term for sea salt blended with charcoal. But it's real and it's black. I use it on salmon sometimes. It adds visual interest.