Can you rank AS by level of severity?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2006, 7:52 am

You're correct. Because a person only needs to have "two or more deficits in the following areas", that means that the "quirks" that one person has may not match the quirks of another.
My son is a very typical AS boy in many ways, but he does not have the higher intelligence that most AS folks seem to have, or the strict adherence to routines.

He is very obsessive, but unfortunately, about things that NO ONE that I know of would want to discuss! He is obsessed (and has been for about a year) with soda pop. He can name sooo many different brands and kinds of soda and which company makes them, even the ones that are discontinued! He can tell you what size of cans and bottles they are sold in and at what price at which store. Now how many kids want to talk about that? (or adults for that matter?)

He is one that changes his interests. Last year it was cars. That was a little more common, but still, children his age (young middle schoolers) aren't that interested in all of the makes and models of cars. He describes his infatuation with soda pop as follows:

"Mom, I've been Sodafied!"

I talk about it with him because I feel that I have to meet him where he is and not always demand that he come to where I am. I do change the topic frequently, though, and try to spark his interest on other thing.

So, you can be grateful if your special interest is more "normal", such as Lord of the Rings, Final Fantasy, or busses, trains, cars or planes! You can join clubs for these things but there are few clubs centered on soda pop! :D

hyper_alien
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2006, 5:34 am

What about Guns? What about Military Bases? I like to know the exact dimensions of the guns. I have started to go off knowing about the bases but I really love finding out about Guns- Barrel Length, Calibre etc etc. I like Military History, equipment. I like to wear some army clothes (this is more to do with comfort than anything else).
I also love batteries and have recently added to my collection a set of military issued batteries. :D I also like toy cars (spinning wheels) and marbles (round and hard).

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2006, 6:09 am

Autism is a spectrum afterall, it s already kinda of scale .

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2006, 6:00 pm

I think that Guns and military equipment are a very interesting interest! (although, I must admit, I would be bored talking about them for more than an hour unless there are photos and pictures or real items to observe.)