Page 2 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

matt
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 11:23 pm

7 out of 20

I don't think I understand what they mean by "Spot the fake smile". Do they mean tell whether the person is actually happy or that the person is capable of consciously making a "fake" smile and a "real" smile?

If people are capable of consciously making "fake" and "real" smiles and if others are capable of determining whether a smile is fake then why would anyone ever make a fake smile?

Or if it meant to tell whether the person is actually happy how would the people who made the test verify whether the person is actually happy?

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 11:37 pm

Not surprisingly, I did 9 out of 20. i was better at spotting fake than at being sure of genuine.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 11:39 pm

You got 12 out of 20 correct

Well first of all I assume that if someone smile at me they mean it (I don't mean the forced smile for a picture). But there is something I noticed years ago because of a doctor who did fake smiles (I think) and was dropping the smile too soon (as he was turning around away from you, you could see his face go from a big smile to no smile at all), is that a smile is probably fake if there is no smile at all on the face right after, so that's what I based my answers on. I spotted 7 genuine smiles and 5 fake ones. Other then that I'm not sure how to spot fake from real smiles exactly.

Shadi

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 11:42 pm

matt wrote:
7 out of 20

I don't think I understand what they mean by "Spot the fake smile". Do they mean tell whether the person is actually happy or that the person is capable of consciously making a "fake" smile and a "real" smile?

If people are capable of consciously making "fake" and "real" smiles and if others are capable of determining whether a smile is fake then why would anyone ever make a fake smile?

Or if it meant to tell whether the person is actually happy how would the people who made the test verify whether the person is actually happy?

I thought the same thing about the "mind in the eyes" test where you have to guess the emotion by looking at the eyes, how are they sure the person really had that emotion even if it was the emotion they were supposed to show in the movie.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 11:53 pm

Recon wrote:
This Test someone showed me just now is kind of interesting. I scored 11/20 correct. I felt like I was totally guessing each time. :?

Is number 13 a girl or a guy?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 11:55 pm

Kon wrote:
9/20.

I got 10 out of 20, most of them were blind guesses, and #19 is gay.

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 12:01 am

chaotik_lord wrote:
I did very well. 17 out of 20.

The mouth movement is different for the fake smiles, it seems. The three I got wrong were fakes I labeled genuine, but I remember them being very large smiles.

Wow, good job.
12/20

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 12:49 am

O brother, goofy looking grad students. I got 11 right.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 2:53 am

Their faces were really creepy.

I scored 15/20. If I represent correct with an O and incorrect with an X, this is what my results looked like:
OOXOO
OXOXO
OOXOX
OOOOO

I note that I felt more confident on the last few, which is reflected in my scores. I think I thought less about it, too.

The way I looked was just to look for crow's feet. I would like to compare my results specifically looking for crow's feet and nothing else versus what I would get if I looked at the whole face and tried to guess without thinking.

I actually disagreed with my own system. Notably, the third from last. I really wanted to give an incorrect answer based on gut feeling, rather than on my system, which gave me the correct answer.

I recall that on the seventh, I felt relieved that he wasn't crazily contorting his face, and felt like a small, slow smile like that had to be genuine; it felt warm. He also vaguely resembles my recollection of someone I like the first time I saw him and felt attracted. (He's not actually all that similar, though. And when I saw this person most recently, he looked nothing like that.)

I correctly spotted six out of ten fakes (60%) and nine out of ten genuine smiles (90%). Out of the five I got wrong, I incorrectly identified four fake smiles as genuine and one genuine smile as fake.

I was notably creeped out by 3 (that forehead looks like an alien), 13 (I cannot determine this person's gender, but it's not because of a lack of distinguishing characteristics-- it's because of contradictory ones) and 14 (her face doesn't look real). Of the ones who creeped me out, I got two wrong, but then, they were fake. Did I overcorrect and try not to assume ill when I knew I was biased against them?

I found 12 attractive.

I say this not so much to put my opinions of strangers out on the internet but to give information to those who may have theories about why I would get answers right or wrong.

I also notice that I said earlier that guessing that a smile was fake was assuming ill intent. How odd; why should it be? I note that I feel the same way about all fake shows of emotion. I jump to assuming that a fake smile is intended to deceive, that it's an enemy trying to appear friendly. I jump to assuming that fake tears are a Wounded Gazelle Gambit (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... elleGambit). I don't feel the same way about fake anger; I have no guesses as to why you'd fake anger. (Actually, thinking about it for, like, one second, I do, but none that come paired with the idea of faking it.)

Is that because people are better-disposed toward smiling and crying people?

I will confess that I have faked happiness (or at least non-sadness) and sadness. Doesn't make me like others who do it better.

What DOES make me like them better is thinking of how they were just contorting their faces for money because a study required it. Is that because it takes away their agency, or because it reminds me that none of it is real? Perhaps it's because it's an actual, known explanation rather than just a suggestion.

NOT A DOCTOR

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 3:19 am

i got 14. How do they know if the smiles were fake or real though? i'm pretty sure you can't tell if your own smile was fake or sincere after a lifetime of faking smiles automatically....
edit: How CREEPY is it when they have that big warm smile for a second, and then suddently relax and you see a gloomy dark face was hiding behind that smile....i am always super attentive to the way people's faces look like right after smiling. And a few of these guys here were creepers....brrr....

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 3:52 am

In real life, I don't make any difference and sometimes don't even see the smiles but I have read many articles about smiling and they said the same thing about the eyes so I focused on the eyes.

(Number 16 is laughing, you can see a movement in his throat)

You got 15 out of 20 correct

However, I think that my eyes aren't always a proof that I am smiling genuinely but they seem to only take into account these wide smiles anyway.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 6:41 am

I got 10/20 but I couldn't really tell which were which. They all looked a bit fake

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 6:57 am

17/20

OOXOO
OOOXO
OOOOO
OOOOX

FarqyTheIndolent
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 6:58 am

12 out of 20.

With one exception, the answers that were marked as incorrect were for genuine smiles that I perceived as being fake.
A devastating insight into my outlook on the species, no? :P

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 7:23 am

10/20. Might as well have been flipping a coin. I only felt confident about one of them, and I got it wrong. Also, watching those videos made me uncomfortable. >_>

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 8:49 am

13/20, only slighty better than 50%