Page 2 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

MarkMartino
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jan 2011, 9:18 pm

verbal0rchid wrote:
buryuntime wrote:
Set up a camera in your residence when someone is over.

NOBODY ever comes into my house. I get extremely agitated, even maintenance from my apartment community.

Yeah. Major panic attacks.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 9:19 pm

I get major panick attacks as well.

God my life is a mess :cry:

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 9:19 pm

Yup, that's pretty typical Aspieness. Reminds me of the people in my support group; except we sit in a circle and the moderator usually sits down and butts out so we can talk properly... and we're much more pro-autistic than this. Referring to "things most people take for granted" and "horrendous social difficulties"...

Y'know... I know now what rubs me wrong about this group. The moderator is almost certainly NT, and sounds like a professional, with the same cadence I've heard in the voices of psychologists everywhere. That distance between him and the rest of the group... it makes me feel like he may believe himself to be superior to them, when in reality they are the ones who know more about autism than he does because they are actually autistic and he's only studied it. It's this sort of syncopated rhythm in his voice that makes me think that... and the pitch... I could probably explain it better if I could put it in musical notes. But he talks like a psychologist.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Chickenbird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2011, 9:25 pm

I watched the video. It did freak me out a bit. I have always wondered why people's eyes seem to glaze over about
5 words into my answer to a question they themselves asked me. I thought "surely I can't turn people off in the first
4 words, how short do I have to keep it????" But I think I am starting to see now. It's my delivery. Even my husband
switches off if I am intense about what I am saying.

We are all in the same boat here Jamesy. It's how we treat each other that makes the difference.

And yeah I get panic attacks, sometimes big, black ones :(

Changed score with attention to health. Still have AS traits and also some difficulties.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 9:31 pm

Yeah i know its difficult I am in the midst of a panick over this video even as i type 8O

Last edited by Jamesy on 22 Jan 2011, 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luci
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 9:31 pm

happymusic wrote:
They seem normal to me....which makes me wonder if I seem odd to others when I'm out.

This :|

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 9:38 pm

Why do you feel like you need therapy to make you more normal-seeming, Jamesy? Just be who you are.

NOT A DOCTOR

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 9:43 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Yeah i know its difficult I am in the midst of a panick over this video even as i type 8O

What is it that makes you panic? I see people like this in my day to day life and really, they barely stand out as being odd. Yeah, you might think there's something a little off about them, but they don't seem that off.
There were a couple that stood out a little more than the rest, but the others just looked quiet and distracted,

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 9:48 pm

Being who you are is not always a good thing esspecially if it repels people.

Sometimes you just gotta 'fake' being normal.

LOADS of things make me panic.

Chickenbird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2011, 9:55 pm

Jamesy wrote:

If it starts to happen to me, I slow my breathing right down for a bit and that stops it. I got that off the net somewhere.

Changed score with attention to health. Still have AS traits and also some difficulties.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 9:55 pm

Callista wrote:
Yup, that's pretty typical Aspieness. Reminds me of the people in my support group; except we sit in a circle and the moderator usually sits down and butts out so we can talk properly... and we're much more pro-autistic than this. Referring to "things most people take for granted" and "horrendous social difficulties"...

Y'know... I know now what rubs me wrong about this group. The moderator is almost certainly NT, and sounds like a professional, with the same cadence I've heard in the voices of psychologists everywhere. That distance between him and the rest of the group... it makes me feel like he may believe himself to be superior to them, when in reality they are the ones who know more about autism than he does because they are actually autistic and he's only studied it. It's this sort of syncopated rhythm in his voice that makes me think that... and the pitch... I could probably explain it better if I could put it in musical notes. But he talks like a psychologist.

He said "we" in describing himself and other autistic people as late diagnosed rather than early like his son. He sounded to me like one of those autistic people who takes on the role/distance you describe as a way of dealing with his own awkwardness. But that sort of person CAN cause problems or behave condescendingly to other disabled people if they're not careful. Especially if they're the kind who identifies more with staff/professionals than other disabled people.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 9:59 pm

Jamesy wrote:

You should talk about specific events in the meeting that did. TBH nothing I saw in that video made me panic. I did not feel nervous or anxious about any of them.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 9:59 pm

They didn't seem that odd to me. Definitely autistic but not that unusual looking. I'd pribably stick out as noticeably unusual in a room full of people who looked like that so maybe that's why I don't see them as that odd. Or just that I spend most of my time with DD people in general.

Also I spent most of the video noticing how each individual person was similar to many other autistic people I know.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 10:07 pm

Ah, I didn't catch that. Thanks. Serves me right listening to voices instead of words; I miss some of the meaning that way... But I really shouldn't be judging somebody from a few minutes of video anyhow.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 10:11 pm

Good point. I've had people hyperanalyze movements I made unconsciously to come to bizarre conclusions before.

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 10:32 pm

Now I wonder if I'm like that. I don't think I am, but I really don't have a good concept of how I appear to other people.