Describe what happens when you try and make eye contact

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2011, 11:34 pm

My eye contact issues have a range: (Worst-Least)

1. Burning + auditory pulsating
2. Combinations of the following
3. Just burning or pulsating
4. Headaches
5. watery eyes/tearing
6. increased light sensitivity
7. Nothing

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2011, 11:42 pm

It hurts like hell.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

26 Jan 2011, 3:58 pm

It creeps me out completely and I always feel like I'm drilling holes in the other person's head. My perception of things surrounding them changes and it's like I've suddenly zoomed in on their face. Surrounding detail gets kind-of pixelated and darker, my eyes burn slightly and feel like they're swelling.
It's weirdly intimate, too intimate, and like I'm doing something I really shouldn't do. Even the shortest glance feels far too long and too "meaningful".

Sometimes I do try but it just goes wrong and I zone out of it altogether.
The conversation quickly falls apart as I start thinking more about looking/not looking instead of talking. I concentrate too much on the mechanics of it - I should maybe look away now or concentrate on the forehead instead - oh, I just did that so I'll look at the left eye now. Hang on, they've looked away? Did I look for too long? And so on...
Er, sorry - what was that you were saying? :oops:

It's a distraction and gets in the way of talking. It's simply easier to do a broadcast: I point the conversation in the right direction while looking at something else.
Anything else.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 4:06 pm

I either laugh from the ridiculousness or die from the mental torture

ProfessorCrow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jan 2011, 4:08 pm

I've actually been noted for an unrelenting gaze, which I realize is very unusual for a diagnosed Aspie.

But there is this one girl I can't do it to. I can't beat her. If I try I stim like mad and my eyes start closing by themselves.

-Crow

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 4:32 pm

I thought that I had no real problem with eye contact, but I've been experimenting with eye contact over the last few days, and I've come to realize that I don't make eye contact with people. I just look through them. I'm looking at their eyes, but I'm really focused on a point in the distance.

When I try to actually look at their eyes, I start to feel shy. It just feels so intimate, like I'm invading their privacy.