Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Simpsim
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Mar 2011, 5:54 pm

I incessantly daydream with random subjects at random times of the day. As much as it helps me to feel safe (and sane), it's ruining my life.

Daydreaming causes me to lose focus on a regular basis at work. Loss of focus means mistakes. I need to try and stop or I'll be out of work and unemployable soon.

Daydreaming has caused me to be run over by vehicles three times in my life.

Daydreaming keeps me awake for hours at night, both when I go to bed and if anything happens to wake me during the night. Then it takes hours to get back to sleep.

Daydreaming probably cost me most of my grades as I lost focus during exams. It's also cost me a previous job due to oversleeping (due to the above).

So no, it's not always a good thing. If I can't be selective about when I daydream, then I need to be able to stop doing it altogether. Some people have suggested medications such as Prozac or Ritalin. As I am currently in limbo with trying to get an AS diagnosis, does anyone have any experience with any medication and on how likely it would be that my GP would prescribe it pre-diagnosis?

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Mar 2011, 10:43 pm

That sounds like me, and I might have ADHD, so be careful.

eddie82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Mar 2011, 11:18 pm

Am I the only one who stims WHILE daydreaming?

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 12:03 am

Yea I may as well just stay in my own world discussing irrelevant topics or planning future demise.

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 2:35 am

I daydream quite often, if I'm not actively doing something then I'm in my head, off on some grand adventure. or, even if I am doing something but it isn't taking much "processing power" then I'll drift off in to my head, which has led to a number of injury's, like the burn on my hand I got the other night cooking supper.

I also talk to myself a fair amount, usually just inane crap that no one else wants to hear. I also argue with myself, if something is bothering me I'll play both sides of the argument and fight with myself until I decide which side is right.... I find it helps with making decisions about how to handle something.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 11:04 am

eddie82 wrote:

I don't think so... I contantly play with my hair. My foot is in constant motion if I sit down. When I'm concentrating on something - reading a book, watching a movie, daydreaming... it's at it's worst actually.

Simpsim
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Mar 2011, 4:40 pm

My foot shaking and rocking is really just my comfort and not part of my daydreaming at all as far as I can tell. The subconscious things I do when daydreaming include laughing, talking out loud (embarrassing) and strange facial expressions.

I can relate to those who talk to themselves. I do this loads. Often it's an imagined conversation I want to have with someone and I guess I just want to hear if it sounds right in reality, not just in my head.

Aniluv
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Mar 2011, 11:15 pm

Yea, 24/7. I can't stop. I make up my own worlds inside my head, and multiple characters throughout all of them. I find the worlds inside my head to be a much more pleasant place than the world outside. Although sometimes it gets out of hand, as i can daydream for hours on end. I've missed an entire class due to daydreaming before. If i get really lost in it, i'll forget all about the real world and that i need to go do important things. I'm always late for work because of this. >_<

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 12:40 am

eddie82 wrote:

NO you are not!! For many years when I was a child (elementary age 7+) I was constantly twisting a string or strip of paper in front of my face while immersed in my imaginary world........I am 26 years old and still do this quite a bit (though thankfully not constantly). I also pace and jump up and down when I'm really excited during a daydream. Check out my maladaptive daydreaming thread.....some psych's think it's actually a separate condition which may occur often in ASD's ("maladaptive daydreaming" that is) which involves uncontrollable daydreaming and stimming............

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 12:43 am

Also in the complete guide to AS Tony Atwood describes "escaping into imagination" as one of the common "coping strategies" of school age children with AS.........

HeretoHelp
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Mar 2012, 11:34 pm

From what some of you have posted, it may be possible that you have some form of what is called Maladaptive Daydreaming, a problem with excessive daydreaming. You might want to look up information about this problem in a search engine, and see what you think.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 4:41 am

i daydream CONSTANTLY, every day. wish i could do that at work so the time will go by faster, and i do daydream at work while flipping a pen between thumb and forefinger very fast. but it's hard to concentrate and i'm agitated and frustrated. i pretty much dream my life away. i daydream on the bus, while walking, at home.
my parents used to say i live in my own world and detached from reality, but they said it in a nasty way, and my father commented to his friend once that i let life go in one direction and i go in another. sometimes they'd scream at me, kind of hysterically, to stop daydreaming.
i suffer from insomnia because i cant turn off my mind when going to sleep.
i'm also trying to write a book, and daydreaming helps a lot in that, but then it's hard to tame the daydreaming and make it go the right route for the book, and it doesnt always come out right on paper.
i go over conversations with imaginary people and people i know in my mind, conversations that never took place about things that some happened and some didnt. i also keep thinking what should i say if a certain thing happened, or if someone should say something to me, what would the appropriate thing to say be, and then i make scenario after scenario in my mind.

InterestingIsabella
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Mar 2012, 7:25 am

i daydream like crazy i write many fantasy love stories because of it

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 9:21 am

And they say autistic people can't daydream....BS. Why does there seem to be such a gap in perception between autistic people and the researchers and other people?

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Mar 2012, 3:15 am

I definitely have Maldaptive Daydreaming. Daydreams make me lose concentration. They make me angry, or happy, and they make me talk to myself out loud or talk to imaginary people out loud. I am 42 and fed up with it.