Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Digsy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Feb 2011, 10:52 pm

It happens to be my nickname.
As a child some of the people in my class chopped my surname down to Digs, and then it developed into Digsy over time.
Now I used it online.

likeasorethumb
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2011, 11:32 pm

My nickname is Cat Lady because I always meow in class. xD
The boy I sit next to in 6th hour (science) tells me I'm gonna grow up single with 20 cats.

That's not even my current interest! Right now, since a TV segment on the Dr. Oz show about autism, I've just been craving to learn more about something I've partially self-diagnosed myself with: Asperger's. I understand myself a lot better now...

If you're wondering what my name means on WP, I think at school I stick out like a sore thumb, like that classic expression. I get called weird on a daily basis!

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 2:24 am

When I was a small child, I thought "Idaho Rose" was part of my actual name. Whenever someone asked me what my full name was, I would state it and add "an Idaho Rose" at the end.

An alternative, less interesting way to look at my username is that I have lived in Idaho my entire life and Rose is my middle name.

Musicprophets
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Feb 2011, 2:46 am

well back in the ancient days of social networking with myspace kicking facebooks ass (for a short while) it was so cool to give yourselves nicknames after you started posting your pics/videos/but still being hooked to instant messaging via aol or that ever rapidly cool cellphone texting. so after keeping my nickname from my highschool classmates for awhile, i went through a period of making it random, and then it felt it was time to create a new more personal meaningful nickname thus Musicprophets was born. even though there are plenty of other musicprophets knockoffs in this digital age, i feel i am musicprophets#1 :roll:. and because i worship music more so than the casual per-user and i have an interest/desire in learning from the profound prophets of our times and of past times as well. so even though im now homeless from myspace for almost a year now and rocking ever so real on the fb now, i just love this nickname. so yeah. there ya go.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 3:10 am

Mine came out of A league of Their own. I took the word League and I am female so League Girl. I like the movie and it was my favorite in replacement of Benny & Joon when I created this account.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

20 Feb 2011, 3:28 am

Mine is a combination of nicknames. My former boyfriend called me Jojo which is short for my real name JoAnne and the name stuck long after he left....which interestingly I was named after my grandmother who died when my mom was 3, her nickname was also Jojo. Then my best friend calls me Jojobean after Mr. Bean the silent film character who always ends up on the wrong side of a situation even though he tries so hard to help out....and like many 20's silent film comedy...he was also very clumsy which is a trait I share with him too.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 7:56 am

My nickname has no relation to the group, Cockney Rebel. I speak with a Cockney accent that I refuse to lose and I'm a bit of a rebel, due to my upbringing. I've also just recently learned that my favourite member of my favourite rock band is a Cockney, within the past 2 years. Take a wild guess who I'm talking about. My username suits me just as much now, as it did 7 years ago. I haven't grown out of it yet, and I will never grow out of it.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 3:47 pm

I have OCD and I'm a girl. The 1-2-3 is because my birthday is Jan. 23rd.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 3:54 pm

My nickname here is the name of one of my favorite dogs at a dog shelter that I used to volunteer at.

My computer is named after another favorite dog from that shelter. :)

Hermier
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2011, 6:07 pm

My name on wrong planet, Hermier = a person in the act of being a hermit.

likeasorethumb wrote:
If you're wondering what my name means on WP, I think at school I stick out like a sore thumb, like that classic expression. I get called weird on a daily basis!

OMG you just brought back an old, old memory. In second or third grade I used to play the flute. I have never had any musical talent whatsoever ~ but everyone who took lessons at the school was in the Band by default.

The Band performed in the evening twice a year, the audience being our families. I was a Third Flute; we sat in rows w/our instruments & music stands, facing the center of the stage. For some reason I thought it would be "cool" to laugh at the (admittedly awful) violinists during their special performance w/o the rest of the instruments. So I was sitting onstage laughing hysterically, but I wasn't even really laughing ~ just faking it, b/c for whatever ill-conceived reason, I believed it would cause the audience to admire my sophistication.

Afterwards my mother told me that she was ashamed of me because during the concert, I "stuck out like a sore thumb". I was surprised ... I thought I would be gaining the admiration of the audience... I had been sure of it. That was my only reason for pretending to laugh so hard that I practically fell off my seat. How did I come up with that notion? Certainly not from watching the people around me ~ all the other kids just sat quietly when it wasn't their turn to play.

Back to the subject. IRL my nickname is Mom. :D But I had a different nickname growing up. When my younger brother was starting to talk & couldn't pronounce my real name yet, he mangled it into what became my nickname. Looking back, I wonder why on earth my parents began to use the baby's mispronunciation of my name, instead of my name (which after all, they had chosen for me). Maybe it was the beginning of the favoritism, I don't know. That particular brother was adored by everyone in our family, went on to be very popular all through school, and is still at the center of his group of friends... maybe my parents saw that coming, and allowed him to "change" my name in acknowledgment of his future status relative to my own lack thereof.

Or that could be a bit of stretch. :roll:

Liam4230
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Feb 2011, 1:03 am

Mine is my first name plus the first two numbers in my locker combination my junior year in high school (so 5 years ago). For some reason, my old locker combinations always seem to stick in my head.