Anyone have any problems saying ''hello''?

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Shadwell
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 7:39 pm

MooCow wrote:
Shadwell wrote:
I have trouble saying goodbye more, so much so that I'd rather slip out the backdoor without a trace.

Same here, I have trouble saying "hello", but when it comes to saying "goodbye" I'm find myself practically incapable of saying anything, I'm normally just slip out the nearest door.

I guess we have that much in common with Batman.

AnnaBuhl
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Mar 2011, 8:07 pm

I easily get past saying Hi but I usually don’t know what to say after that and there’s usually a lot of awkward silence.
I live in the countryside where it’s normal to greet people when you walk by each other, but because of my brain’s slow processing I normally end up not responding.
Sometimes I manage a quick nod and a few times I manage to say hello but it always end up sounding really weird because it’s forced out… once I accidentally said Hi in a really deep, creepy voice because my brain tried to hurry and not all muscles and such got the message XD
I have more trouble taking on the phone. I honestly really hate phones. I don’t know what to say and I was even told once “well, I can hear you don’t really want to talk to me…” and I totally panicked because my lack of social skills gave the person the wrong impression.

Aniluv
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Mar 2011, 4:13 am

billypony wrote:
yes. at the stables saying hi to everyone as they arrive, or as you arrive, is the "done thing". i can never be the one to say hi first, and i can only comfortabley say hi to the people i know well. i hate it when someone shouts it across the yard because i dont like to shout back, so i often pretend i didn't hear. they must think i'm very rude. i especially hate it though, when people are walking past, and they say "hi you alright?" because now i have around 2 seconds to think of a suitable reply and say it. this is tricky. do i say "hi" or "yes i'm fine" or "i'm fine thankyou how are you?" sometimes they walk past too quick and i end up not saying anything, and i feel bad. why are they even asking me? they're not really interested how i am and they know they're not gonna be around for the answer even if i gave it them (as they would have already walked past already). why is saying hello so complicated? :(

OMG i sympathize so much with this post. This is exactly what happens to me. I feel the same way, if you really want to know then give me the chance to answer. I also get too overwhelmed when they say too much at once.
I also hate it that people have so many different ways of saying hi. "What's good?", especially annoys me. How do you answer that?

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 6:35 am

This was very interesting for me to read--thank you for sharing. I've never encountered anyone commenting on this before, but yes, very much so. I used to be very uncomfortable about saying hello and not knowing how to do it properly. Now I'm not uncomfortable about it because I have taught myself to exaggerate it: I usually say "Hello!" "Hellooo!" "Hell-O!" etc. Probably seems a bit quirky but no one seems to think it's too odd and it's solved my problem.

I still feel very awkward saying "hi," though, but I don't say it often and have no real reason to do so.

Merculangelo
Toucan
Toucan

03 Mar 2011, 8:00 am

what does the word "hello" even mean?

thats part of my trouble saying it; i don't know quite what I am saying!

LinnaeusCat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Mar 2011, 4:22 am

For some reason, I find it easier to say (in an upbeat sounding way) "Hullo" or "Hi There" rather than "Hello".

INTJ.

Pinchy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Mar 2011, 4:39 am

Yeah, I find it hard also to be the person who initiates the greeting. And when a stranger says, 'Hi' as he walks past, I usually get so startled by the acknowledgement that my response is almost always a few seconds too late. I wish that I can be more natural.

jayssite

06 Mar 2011, 4:39 am

draelynn wrote:
I echo. I'll do whatever they do. If they smile at me as they walk up to the door, I smile. If they say 'hi' or 'hey', I just repeat it with almost the same tone of voice.

Seconded. Sometimes I even delay when I see someone, because I'm not sure what to say, until they finally say hello/hey/hi and I echo.

daspie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 5:05 am

I have a lot of trouble greeting people. I also have flat tone and stiff gaze!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 5:59 am

Not really. I have more problems saying goodbye.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 8:39 am

I can do it in certain situations but if I'm and home at someone comes over, I'm just as likely to nod as the say anything. Ive noticed that my gf can have company and after they have left I'll realize that I neither said hello nor goodbye. Maybe gave them a wave.

Echoing is the easiest. But if they don't speak to me, I won't speak to them in many cases.