Which have it harder? Male Aspies or female Aspies?

Page 2 of 15 [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

Which do you think has it harder? Male Aspies or female Aspies?
Males 25%  25%  [ 65 ]
Females 25%  25%  [ 65 ]
Both 32%  32%  [ 84 ]
I don't know 18%  18%  [ 46 ]
Total votes : 260

wormsto
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Mar 2011, 1:36 pm

You open up a can of metaphorical worms when you bring up this topic. incredibly stupid worms.

TB
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 2:00 pm

emlion wrote:
Kaybee wrote:

LOL. Love.

i actually laughed out loud

chinatown
Toucan
Toucan

04 Mar 2011, 2:02 pm

I voted females because traditionally, females are expected to be the emotional caregiving types, and anyone who deviates from that is either a troublemaker or mentally ill. But that is getting less and less popular, and in some circles, males and females are now effectively treated as equals.

So it really depends on the person and their social circle, background, culture etc. If you had to pick one group that struggles the most nowadays, I'd say it's the lower class kids whose parents can't affort decent medical care. I also believe uneducated parents have trouble distinguishing autistic traits from troublemaking.

KBerg
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Mar 2011, 2:09 pm

I can see both sides. I imagine men get more hassles, I mean like from the law, from people who are threatened because they can't read your body language and there's a strange guy and as far as anyone knows you could be an axe murderer, you probably are in fact! Men amongst themselves socially seem to be a bit less catty though. I also think people find it easier to accept men on the autism spectrum as having problems because it's that thing that's a seen as exclusively a guy thing, oh except for Temple Grandin. Women appear less threatening to most people, but the social pressure to be like all the other women can make you want to do things I'm not gonna say here because they're not nice things. And part of the problem with women on the autism spectrum is while they seem to find it easier to hide in plain sight, it also makes it harder for people to accept that they have it and that they might need some help.

I dunno, I think they both have their upsides and downsides. Society's preferred gender roles are pretty gross to me both ways around. Glamor obsessed little pink sex bombs or sport obsessed testosterone filled meatheads. They're both, well, pretty unhealthy roles to thrust upon children.

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 2:39 pm

in some ways females have it harder in some ways males have it harder

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

04 Mar 2011, 3:06 pm

Women and people who are perceived as women (whatever their gender actually is).

While men have to deal with the stigma of having a developmental disability, or the reactions to symptomatic behavior that may not be perceived as part of a disability, women also have to deal with sexism.

There are other categories as well that modify this further so the question itself is not very useful. Some women will be better off than some men because of a variety of issues, and vice versa. But all else being equal, the answer is women.

Chickenbird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2011, 4:03 pm

I think the answer depends on whether you value friendship or marriage.

An aspie female may find it very hard to find any other females to be friends with, statistically, but it seems easier to get married than for males. If you think marriage is a wonderful panacea, which it isn't always. Maybe you can get married, but can
you stay happily married, especially without any friends to take the pressure off the relationship? Plus I notice a tendency for
bullies to marry aspies, especially in my extended family. Not the only one to spot this, either.

An aspie male may find it easier to find other aspie males to be friends with (I'm thinking of Big Bang Theory) but it sounds like it is harder for one to find a mate, even a temporary one. That would really hurt.

So each gender has a reason to be jealous of the other.

Changed score with attention to health. Still have AS traits and also some difficulties.

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 4:11 pm

I'm very much of the mind that the issues are simply different. From my perspective, it looks like women have it a lot easier, but I think that is more a matter of perspective than reality.

Really, my neighbor's lawn is looking really green today. I wonder what sort of fertilizer he uses.

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 4:21 pm

Kaybee wrote:

Oh that was complicated. I had to figure out the picture (I'm not very visual), then understand the the idiom that it represents. But it was worth it in the end. Thanks for the chuckle.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 5:11 pm

Kaybee wrote:

I don't get it.

Unless it's got something to do with the words ''still'' and ''moving'' are in the same sentence?

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 5:14 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Kaybee wrote:

I don't get it.

Unless it's got something to do with the words ''still'' and ''moving'' are in the same sentence?

flogging a dead horse.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 5:48 pm

I voted both but I think in a way boys probably have it tougher sometimes. I know if I were a boy I'd be treated a lot differently than I am now. Older people try to protect me and are very caring towards me often times. On the other hand girls are more defenseless. It just depends on the situation I guess. I think the whole debate on who has it worse is dumb. It probably has a lot to do with one's culture and environment more than anything.

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2011, 5:58 pm

I think both, as females have a difficult time diagnosed, but that it can be difficult for males as well. I know that as a female, it wasn't until I was in my late 20's before I was diagnosed, although I've always had Asperger's.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 6:05 pm

This question is pointless. Whether someone has it harder than another or not depends on where they are on the spectrum... not what physical sex they are.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 6:42 pm

Or "beating a dead horse," in American English. Glad a few of you got a laugh out of it. ;)

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 6:50 pm

*yawns*