Do certain words have a "repulsive" sound?

Page 2 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

12 Apr 2011, 11:14 pm

azureyoshi wrote:
But, by far, cutesy words are the worst. Like, totes, adorbs, pregger, hubby, etc. Anything like that makes me literally cringe when I hear it said.

I do hate most cutesy words, oh do I. It is kind of funny, though, as I use "totes" sarcastically somewhat frequently in some social contexts. But yeah, mostly, ugh. Mostly, I can't stand them.

I also hate "panties."

These aren't for the same reasons as the other words. For a long time, diminutive/cutesy words just violated my sense of linguistic integrity.

dunbots wrote:
Whats so bad about it? It's just the diminutive of "pants".

I hate diminutives so much. I can't even begin to describe.

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 11:26 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gwXJsWHupg[/youtube]

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 12:31 am

'ret*d' comes to mind too

emuman100
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 12:59 am

I find that there are words that cause me great anxiety to say them, almost like being embarrassed to say them. I don't know why. I also don't like people using a lot of slang words, to me it makes them sound dumb. My Aspie ways have me liking a formal way of speaking.

Chamomile
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Apr 2011, 1:09 am

hale_bopp wrote:

Haaha thats probably why everyone hates the new zealand accent. Everything sounds like "moist"!
Perhaps I should call my kid "Cellardoor".

Am I the only one who is saying "Cellar door" out loud several times after reading this post?

I said it a couple of times while writing it.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 1:23 am

dunbots wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
azureyoshi wrote:
I have a big problem with words like ointment, moisture, and puke. (Bad images in my head when they're said). For some reason I can't stand the word panties either.

But, by far, cutesy words are the worst. Like, totes, adorbs, pregger, hubby, etc. Anything like that makes me literally cringe when I hear it said.

You sound like me. I HATE THEM TOO! argh. Whoever came up with the word "panties" needs a belt over the face :P

Whats so bad about it? It's just the diminutive of "pants". :P

As for me, there are so words that sound better or worse than others to me.

Knickers and undies where I grew up. The word "panties" just sounds so weak and gay. It reminds me of tea parties where women have to stick their little finger out when they hold the cup.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 1:28 am

emuman100 wrote:
I find that there are words that cause me great anxiety to say them, almost like being embarrassed to say them. I don't know why. I also don't like people using a lot of slang words, to me it makes them sound dumb. My Aspie ways have me liking a formal way of speaking.

I was the same as a kid. I couldn't say certain words without getting embarassed. Peoples names and others. Not swear words, I didn't swear until I was 11.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 1:34 am

hale_bopp wrote:
emuman100 wrote:

I was the same as a kid. I couldn't say certain words without getting embarrassed. Peoples names and others. Not swear words, I didn't swear until I was 11.

I do that, with most people's names. :oops:

Locustman
Toucan
Toucan

13 Apr 2011, 8:48 am

Indeed, I have one which does - work.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 10:03 am

Surfman wrote:
'ret*d' comes to mind too

I agree with you on that. I cringe every time I hear it, and it's not just because it's "politically incorrect", the way it sounds it horrible! It has a "hard" sound to it.

I also dislike words that I have a bad association with. Like for example, the first time I ever heard the word "unfortunately" was at school and it was said by a teacher that I didn't like. So now, I don't like the word because of association.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Goodfella66
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Apr 2011, 2:14 pm

Some words are just bad or good by how they sound, in my opinion. Even words for food. I can't eat yogurt because of the word yogurt.

Words I don't like: dumptruck, bong, concrete, school, or fishstick.
Words I like: concern, command, gerbil, chaos, weakling, cloud, wolf, raven, or skylark.

Anyone else not able to eat 'meatloaf' because of how it sounds?

I don't really associate words with things, as I believe words to be innocent - it is all about context. For this reason, I don't believe in 'inappropriate' words.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 2:46 pm

I absolutely can't stand the words "poop" and "pee". I substitute "crap" and "piss" when in informal company, and use some form of "using the restroom" when in more polite company.

I was surprised that so many people on here dislike the word "panties". I think it's a cute/hilarious word and I wish I had more excuses to use it in everyday language.

emuman100 wrote:
I find that there are words that cause me great anxiety to say them, almost like being embarrassed to say them. I don't know why.

When I was a child, I used to be embarrassed to say the word "pregnant".

Oh, and an aversion to words isn't exclusive to those on the spectrum. Cracked even has a whole article about it: Words That Need to Be Banned from the English Language

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 3:12 pm

Chi or Ki being repeated bothers me as much as a fork scratching against glazed porcelain.

Sheldon96
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Apr 2011, 3:22 pm

I'm the same. Words that really get me are:

Gutted
Gobsmacked
Stressy
Mate
Got
Cringe
Boom

The words usually have a hard 'G' sound. Ugh, it just makes me recoil whenever someone uses those words;

:lol:

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 3:44 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
emuman100 wrote:

I was the same as a kid. I couldn't say certain words without getting embarassed. Peoples names and others. Not swear words, I didn't swear until I was 11.

Make that four of us. I don't know why, but sometimes I just can't make myself say certain words. It's the dumbest thing, although I have gotten much better at it since I was a kid.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 4:55 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
I absolutely can't stand the words "poop" and "pee". I substitute "crap" and "piss" when in informal company, and use some form of "using the restroom" when in more polite company.

I was surprised that so many people on here dislike the word "panties". I think it's a cute/hilarious word and I wish I had more excuses to use it in everyday language.

Cute and hilarious imo needs to burn in hell.
I also can't stand the words "poos" and "wees" It pushes me into extreme sensory overload and I usually snap at the person and tell them they're not 3 years old. same applies with "tinkles" and "snuffly" I can't believe I forgot those two. They are the worst for me. Make me so overloaded I want to bang my head over and over again against the wall.