Has anyone ever told you that you don't have AS?

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 5:02 pm

I've had a few people tell me that. Usually their argument was something like "Ah know yew don't hayuv it becawwwse of whawwwt ah seen owwwn tay vay abayout it", "Yew don't act nothin' lahk Rain Mayun", or worst of all, some political correctness/magical thinking BS like "Oh, don't label yourself, you're OK, you can do anything you put your mind to, you just need more confidence/faith/etc."

Last edited by Xeno on 08 Jun 2011, 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 5:08 pm

I question my own AS more than anyone else, even though I know I have it. It's so obvious when I look at it all the symptoms that I have, but yet sometimes there's always the thought of what if I'm wrong.

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 5:16 pm

Yeah... when a lot of people see us, they think we are normal. If we don't have some severe form of autism, we don't have it at all. I know how most people think of Rain Man or someone who is severely mentally-challenged. D:

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

zippy-tri
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jun 2011, 5:43 pm

I have so far found two types of people.
1) The ones who say I can not have asd because "doesn't everyone do that?" - they are the people I suspect would score high on the aq quiz themselves.
2) The people who say I do not have asd because I'm just a bit quirky, socially awkward, air-headed, possibly a bit mad, shy, depressed, clumsy, odd, and have an obscure sense of humour.
3) the ones who say "yes" Its really quite obvious I have asd.

(there is no 3)

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 5:50 pm

And there's always the Tom Cruise types, who will deny the existence of such syndromes altogether.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 9:05 pm

Once an attendant at a public transit train station didn't believe me when I told him that I had AS. He just stared at me.

Lerena
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Jun 2011, 9:56 pm

I've actually been told this before. I heard one of my brother's friends mutter how he doesn't think I have Asperger's Syndrome (despite me being very quiet in the discussion). Someone today actually commented that if I get into a group with Aspergians I may notice a big difference between them and me, but I don't think that could possibly be true. If I talk more than them, that may make them nervous, but I'm sure they'd notice that I'm also talking about some of their own struggles.

I almost wanted to break down in tears today in therapy because the very thought of me not having Asperger's devastates me. If I don't have it, why do I struggle socially, and why do people I can socialize well with question my ability to talk to other people? My lack of friends is very apparent, and I don't just have mild traits of Asperger's. I wanted to stand up and explain to her the reasons I have Asperger's and how she's wrong. But, I didn't, because she kept the diagnosis there, and merely questioned it instead of saying I definitely don't have it.

It's not that I'm angry at people claiming I don't have it; it's that I have nowhere else to go except people on the Autism spectrum. I don't want to be alone, and even if there are some noticeable differences between me and most people with Asperger's, I just want to relate to people. People who question my Asperger's diagnosis immediately cause me to become depressed, because if they're right, what then? Where do I if I don't have Asperger's? Yea, I just don't like people criticizing me.

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2011, 10:34 pm

Even though I am officially diagnosed my mother still refuses to believe I have AS (she called it possible brain damage {from my babyhood} to our doctor). And I am pretty sure there are others in my family who don't believe it, either... :tongue:
At least my wife (at least partially) believes it! :P

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 2:44 am

I haven't really told people yet, but in the event that they didn't believe that I had AS, I would have to launch into a lecture about AS and ASD, all the aspects of all, the history, the future, how each and every area applied to me with an example from each and every year of my life, and how exactly I am different from them and most other people in a 1000-item checklist. Assuming that they survived this experience, they will never doubt me again. Unless they wanted to hear it all again. I seem to recall that repetition is one of my strengths.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

10 Jun 2011, 4:06 am

the only people that say that I am not autistic are stupid therapists who have no idea how hard I fought with myself to reach a point where I can be semi normal if I have to just to be told that I dont have it...denies my struggle.
But in the end, it doesnt matter cause I was diagnosed as a child by a leading autism expert that my mom searched out and found.
I know any of these therapists couldn't match wits with Dr. Kennith Ruder anyway, so I just ignore them.

why do they say I am not autistic...they say I make eye contact. Actually I dont at all, I lipread cause I am hearing impaired. educated idiots!!

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

10 Jun 2011, 10:26 am

People have told me that I can't possibly have AS because I'm not an annoying jack*ss 24/7. Also, I can't have AS since I buy my brother's friend an energy drink once in a while.