Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 10:07 am

It takes me ages to waken fully in the morning. It has no relation to how much sleep I've had or when I went to bed the night before. I hide under the covers whilst my eyes adjust to the light, gradually. 15 minutes after the radio has come on and my husband has gone downstairs, I come downstairs. I open my bottle of multivitamins and every morning, without fail, I drop either the lid or the pill. After breakfast, I seem OK.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 10:17 am

I don't have this problem. I'm just the opposite, actually... when I wake up, I'm awake for good. No going back to sleep unless I'm really lucky. It means I often don't get enough sleep and spend a lot of time awake in bed. I've also been known to wake up with a startle. I am also frequently very hungry when I wake up and I don't go through the normal groggy phase for long. I think for me, the stress response might be too big, rather than too little.

My boyfriend, who I suspect is on the spectrum (currently being treated for ADHD), has some serious issues waking up in the morning, though. He regularly sleeps through his alarms. My friend who is on the spectrum also experiences this. Me, I can't even use alarms because they scare me so badly. I turn the volume down really low if I absolutely need to use one. Otherwise, I wake up with my heart pounding.

mori_pastel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jun 2011, 2:46 pm

CorseTheCarGuy wrote:
mori_pastel wrote:
OJani wrote:
joestenr wrote:
Best method i have found is espresso, and lots of it. Its been getting me out of bed for 17 years so far.

Though on the research end u may also want to look into the reseach on sleep cycles. In short there is a roughly once every 45 min or so window where it is easier to wake up. If u could set ur alarm to fall in ur window as it were it should be a bit easier to wake up.

This makes me think of one of my whims a little differently than before. I don't use an "alarm" clock to wake me up (I hate all forms of it, and I don't like when somebody wakes me up either). Instead, I glance at the digital clock from time to time in the morning (I don't totally wake up at those times), and I try to synchronize my sleeping "windows" so that I will be awake around the proposed time. This is a much much less stressful way of waking up than anything else I know.

Wow. I'm amazed that you can manage that! I couldn't just wake up like that on my own. But I share your hatred of being woken up by humans or machines. I hate hate hate the stereotypical alarm clock sound. I don't mean I just don't like it very much because I'm not a morning person, I mean if I hear that sound on TV or something in the middle of the day it makes me cringe. Being woken up at all tends to give me a headache, but without an alarm clock or something I'd just sleep to two or three so I suck it up and deal.

Lol I hear you on the stereotypical alarm clock. I find this sound....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SitTtOfopOM

That sound legitimately makes me upset, mad, and ruins my mood. I HATE waking up to that. I don't know why it just puts me in a bad mood.

I also can't wake up right off the bat. I end up hitting snooze about 3 times. I just set my alarm back 30 minutes early assuming I'm going to hit snooze several times so I'm up and somewhat semi-awake by then. Lol... maybe that makes me weird? I dunno.

Yes to all this. And is it just me, or is that alarm clock sound you linked not near as bad as the real thing? It seems to be lacking the particular grating quality that makes real alarm clocks so horrible. Thank goodness.

Sadly, this sound is my current alarm clock sound. I have a serious problem waking up in the morning, so I need the most hated noise ever AND to put my alarm clock on the complete opposite side of my room from my bed in order to be able to wake up and not just turn off the alarm and go back to bed. Still do the snoozy thing though.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 4:34 pm

I slept in until 1400 hours this morning. I hate mornings, so I try to sleep through them whenever possible.

Dae
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jun 2011, 1:10 pm

Hi, all. For awhile, I used something called a 'Zen clock'. It used a metal tube for creating a chime (the size and tone chosen by the purchaser), and would 'strike' the chime at the designated time - at first very softly, then very gradually increasing in the force of the chime 'strikes' so that, if ignored, the Zen clock would reach full volume after a certain number of minutes. The chiming process would allow a sleeper to gradually come to consciousness and would create a harmonious environment in which to wake. ...I'd always been able to wake myself up in the mornings (though the ability diminishes dramatically for any 2:00 a.m. to 4:00 a.m. wake-up times) and ended up giving the Zen clock to someone else who needed it more.

I also detest most commercial alarm clocks and have spent nights waking up in dread that the horrible alarm noise was going to begin at any moment.

Last edited by Dae on 23 Jun 2011, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dae
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jun 2011, 1:11 pm

Sorry...double post. ?

gallimaufry
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jun 2011, 5:43 pm

I hate the sound of the traditional alarm clock --- being startled awake puts me in a bad mood --- so I use a Biobrite Sunrise Clock. I program it to simulate sunrise about 30 minutes before I want to wake up.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 6:13 pm

Extreme anxiety makes me jump out of bed in the morning when the alarm clock goes off.