Do Aspies tend to have darker than average eyes?

Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 3:30 am

My eyes are blue/grey and quite pale. But, I have very large pupils, so from a distance they might look darker than they actually are.

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 5:03 am

Aspie people tend to have quite shiny/bright/alive eyes. Thats one of the things that trips my aspiedar.

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 7:15 am

ugh. :evil: eye color has nothing to do with asperger's.

You know what I do has something to do with asperger's? All-or-nothing, black and white, you're either with us or against us, rigid, blanket stereotype thinking. All aspies have this.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 1:35 pm

On another thread somewhere is says something about Aspies having brighter eyes.

Some WP members try to invent physical features to make Autistics look like they're born different. Autism really doesn't work that way. I physically look as normal as any other human being. Nothing stands out at all.

Nordlys
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jun 2011, 1:49 pm

Eyed depends of eye colours of parents. If two parents have light blue eyes, is highly impossible that son can have dark eyes, because blue eyes are recessive to dark eyes, and two recessive genes can't give a dominant one.

Temple Grandin has blue eyes from what i remember. Mine are pure brown, my dad has brown eyes too, my brother has brown-greenish eye and my mom has blue-greenish eyes.

- La diversità è l'elemento principe del mondo -

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 9:55 pm

EVERYONE'S pupils are essentially black. Little light is usually reflected back, so the clear lens appears BLACK. I have known people with essentially BLACK, and certainly VERY dark brown, that WEREN'T autistic. A number of people on this board, including me, have LIGHT colored eyes. So NOPE! Eyecolor has NOTHING to do with autism.

TTRSage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jun 2011, 10:30 pm

A poll that someone posted yesterday showed a disproportionate percentage of blue eyes here... around 60 percent. Mine are hazel green.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 1:31 am

Mine are light blue. I am quite the blue eyed white devil. :twisted:

Madao
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jun 2011, 3:10 pm

I've got greenish blue eyes. I don't think dark eye color correlates with autism. Dark brown eyes are a dominate feature in people. You might of known less Aspies with blue eyes because lighter eye color is a recessive feature.

Also note the variety of eye colors in this video...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqGhDPhaRrc[/youtube]

QueenoftheOwls
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jun 2011, 3:24 pm

Hi, Madao! Loved your video, Aspie Eyes-- I couldn't stop laughing! The eyes are the mirroir of the soul! Ours come in all different shapes , shades and sizes. Count me in with the blue-eyed crowd.

cw10
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 4:00 am

Madao wrote:
I've got greenish blue eyes. I don't think dark eye color correlates with autism. Dark brown eyes are a dominate feature in people. You might of known less Aspies with blue eyes because lighter eye color is a recessive feature.

Also note the variety of eye colors in this video...

One thing I did notice was a larger than "normal" iris aperture in most of those images. A good deal of those photos were taken under a good light source, you'd think their irises would close a little more. Maybe that's what I'm seeing. Someone else posted here on this thread that they have unusually wider iris aperture under normal lighting conditions.

I for one don't like high light conditions. I sit here typing in the dark with only the monitor and a 60 watt bulb for company, and I try and avoid the sun as much as possible. It's too bright up there. :( I don't like certain warehouse stores for the same reason. All that extra florescent lighting.

I could see there being a link, I don't think it's genetic, I think it could just be an artifact of the syndrome. The eye's are a window to the soul so they say, but they're also part of your brain. I wish Ms. Grandin was here to chime in on this. :)

OR, I'm just seeing things... again. I do <3 all this feedback.

Madao
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jun 2011, 2:20 pm

cw10 wrote:
One thing I did notice was a larger than "normal" iris aperture in most of those images. A good deal of those photos were taken under a good light source, you'd think their irises would close a little more. Maybe that's what I'm seeing. Someone else posted here on this thread that they have unusually wider iris aperture under normal lighting conditions.

You mean the pupils? Having dilated pupils all the time would really explain light sensitivity for people with ASD. Normally pupils dilate in dim lighting to take in more light, and constrict in bright light to take in less light. Perhaps people with light sensitivities can't constrict their pupils properly in bright light so it's painful. (It's like when they dilate your pupils at the eye doctor. All light (especially sunlight) is blinding and painful for a few hours afterwards.) So it would make sense for you to say autistics have 'large dark eyes' if you're referring to the pupils and not eye color. I wonder if other autistic people have great night vision? I know I can see things very well in the dark with the only light source being the moon. : D

anikatheoddone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2011, 7:44 pm

idk about that but their mouths are typically shaped similarly

anikatheoddone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2011, 8:10 pm

my pupils can b pretty big. thats one of the reasons why teachers thought i was high all the time. another reason is the aspergers makes my voice sound REALLY stoned

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

24 Jun 2011, 12:12 am

M eyes shift between green and dark hazel. But I don't think they have anything to do with my Aspergers.

cw10
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 5:02 am

Madao wrote:
cw10 wrote:

You mean the pupils? Having dilated pupils all the time would really explain light sensitivity for people with ASD. Normally pupils dilate in dim lighting to take in more light, and constrict in bright light to take in less light. Perhaps people with light sensitivities can't constrict their pupils properly in bright light so it's painful. (It's like when they dilate your pupils at the eye doctor. All light (especially sunlight) is blinding and painful for a few hours afterwards.) So it would make sense for you to say autistics have 'large dark eyes' if you're referring to the pupils and not eye color. I wonder if other autistic people have great night vision? I know I can see things very well in the dark with the only light source being the moon. : D

Yes, I am an r-tard. I do mean pupils. But pupils are just the opening your iris makes yes? So, but you're right, I chose the wrong noun. Well I noticed something was afoot, I blended the apparent color between the iris and the pupil, and noticed a darker "tone".

It's probably not true for all autistics, but I reckon there's something going on there for a good number of us. But I suppose that's already a known feature, what troubles me we don't know the mechanism that could be causing it.

I've delivered pizza for 14 years half of the time at night with no flashlight, my boss doesn't know how I do it. Cat's eyes.

Last edited by cw10 on 24 Jun 2011, 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.