If there was a cure for autism would you take it?

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

If there was a cure for autism, would you take it?
Poll ended at 03 Nov 2012, 3:35 pm
No 55%  55%  [ 18 ]
Yes 30%  30%  [ 10 ]
Hard to say because there isn't a cure right now. 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 33

PHISHA51
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jun 2011, 9:47 am

Life will still be an adventure of up's and downs for me even without Autism. I don't like the term cure because it would always apply the notion that something is wrong with me.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 10:57 am

Although I have more issues than Time Magazine, I wouldn't take it. It would be much more satisfying if I managed to be successful despite my Asperger's syndrome. Like Bill Gates, for example.

But I have to admit that my social impairment generally drives me up the walls, so I could feel tempted to take it during one of my "can't take it anymore" moments.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

23 Jun 2011, 1:55 pm

I wouldn't take it, because I consider my aspergers to be an advantage in school (academically of course). I would like to get rid of my sensory issues though, because I would love to go into a bright room and feel comfortable, or not have a meltdown in the middle of a super market aisle when it gets too noisy. I also don't want to be weirded out when a fellow family member hugs me. But other than that, I would not even take the "cure." 8)

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Jun 2011, 5:13 pm

I'd take it for some aspects (I'd like to be able to "read" people better, for example), but I wouldn't take a cure for the whole shabang.

AlexWelshman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jun 2011, 6:02 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
I'd take it for some aspects (I'd like to be able to "read" people better, for example), but I wouldn't take a cure for the whole shabang.
Same here, I'd like to have some bits go away but keep other bits.

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 8:56 am

Seph wrote:
Honestly, the only thing I care about is my "special interests". If I could keep those and become somewhat functional in this society, I'd take it. Well... my routine would be somewhat hard to let go of...

Hmm... Should an individual change to fit society or should society change to fit the individual? I think theoretically a more inclusive society is better. I'm not against changing though.

Oh and I like most of my sensory issues... :?

This. I love my special interests. I hate my sensory issues. I hate working because it's difficult given both sensory issues and other AS-related symptoms (anxiety, etc.).