Is it normal for autistics handwriting to look like trash?

Page 2 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 7:03 pm

My handwriting is HORRIBLE - virtually unreadable, even to me.

Oddly enough, though, I can do beautiful calligraphy (it was an obsession for a while) - good enough that I've gotten suggestions that I should look into doing it professionally. Actually was a signmaker for about 10 years. Go figure. :shrug:

I think it ties into what Guitarmaniac91 said - when I do calligraphy or lettering on a sign, I'm not really writing - I'm drawing something, and that "something" just happens to be letters.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 7:12 pm

Verdandi wrote:
My handwriting is awful. Despite efforts over the years it's not improved much.

I'm usually pretty focused on it, but I just don't have the fine motor control or whatever to produce good handwriting for more than a sentence or so. Also, writing hurts.

Yes, me too... If I have to focus on writng for like more than a few mins my hand hurts and my motor skills are bad

Arminius
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2011, 7:19 pm

Mine is a nightmare.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 7:20 pm

Yes from my experience. My two sons, my husband and my brother all write horribly. Thank goodness for typing nowadays. My own handwriting is quite good, but I understand that's an exception for Aspies. I have very good hands and no fine motor problem.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 7:21 pm

Quote:
Symptoms of dysgraphia

A mixture of upper/lower case letters, irregular letter sizes and shapes, unfinished letters, struggle to use writing as a communications tool, odd writing grip, many spelling mistakes (sometimes), pain when writing, decreased or increased speed of writing and copying, talks to self while writing, muscle spasms in the arm and shoulder (sometimes in the rest of the body), inability to flex (sometimes move) the arm (creating an L-like shape), and general illegibility.

Many people who are dysgraphic experience pain while writing. The pain usually starts in the center of the forearm and then spreads along the nervous system to the entire body. This pain can get worse or even appear when a dysgraphic is stressed. Few people who do not have dysgraphia know about this, because many with dysgraphia will not mention it to anyone. There are a few reasons why pain while writing is rarely mentioned:
Sufferers do not know that it is unusual to experience this type of pain with writing.
If they know that it is different from how others experience writing, they feel that few will believe them.
Those who do not believe that the pain while writing is real will often not understand it. It will usually be attributed to muscle ache or cramping, and it will often be considered only a minor inconvenience.
For some people with dysgraphia, they no longer write, and just type everything, so they no longer feel this pain.

Dysgraphics who experience this pain may exhibit reluctance or refusal to complete writing tasks.
Symptoms of dysgraphia

A mixture of upper/lower case letters, irregular letter sizes and shapes, unfinished letters, struggle to use writing as a communications tool, odd writing grip, many spelling mistakes (sometimes), pain when writing, decreased or increased speed of writing and copying, talks to self while writing, muscle spasms in the arm and shoulder (sometimes in the rest of the body), inability to flex (sometimes move) the arm (creating an L-like shape), and general illegibility.

Many people who are dysgraphic experience pain while writing. The pain usually starts in the center of the forearm and then spreads along the nervous system to the entire body. This pain can get worse or even appear when a dysgraphic is stressed. Few people who do not have dysgraphia know about this, because many with dysgraphia will not mention it to anyone. There are a few reasons why pain while writing is rarely mentioned:
Sufferers do not know that it is unusual to experience this type of pain with writing.
If they know that it is different from how others experience writing, they feel that few will believe them.
Those who do not believe that the pain while writing is real will often not understand it. It will usually be attributed to muscle ache or cramping, and it will often be considered only a minor inconvenience.
For some people with dysgraphia, they no longer write, and just type everything, so they no longer feel this pain.

Dysgraphics who experience this pain may exhibit reluctance or refusal to complete writing tasks.

Quote:
Cases of dysgraphia in adults generally occur after some neurological trauma. Dysgraphia may also be diagnosed in a person with Tourette syndrome, ADHD, learning disability or an autism spectrum disorder such as Asperger syndrome. The DSM IV identifies dysgraphia as a "Disorder of Written Expression" as "writing skills (that) ...are substantially below those expected given the person's ...age, measured intelligence, and age-appropriate education."

Well, from this I do have this.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

08 Jul 2011, 7:24 pm

I was never diagnosed, but I call my handwriting "dysgraphic" all the time.

It caused me a lot of trouble at school. The only reason it doesn't amaze me that I never was diagnosed is that my parents were so dead set against the idea that I had any learning disabilities or anything like a learning disability.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 7:24 pm

MotherKnowsBest wrote:
My handwriting is beautiful, a work of art. And a nightmare. I give more focus to writing nicely than to what I'm writing about. My college notes are beautifully presented, but I have no idea what's in them. It's also time consuming because if I make a mistake, then I have to rewrite the whole page.

This.

I stopped writing notes in class when I realized that I paid more attention to the notes than the lecture. When I stopped the notes, I remembered the lecture. YMMV.

Also, I write with my left hand and my handwriting looks good, only so long as I think about the letters, not the message.

Last edited by jrjones9933 on 08 Jul 2011, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 7:28 pm

Quote:
Cases of dysgraphia in adults generally occur after some neurological trauma. Dysgraphia may also be diagnosed in a person with Tourette syndrome, ADHD, learning disability or an autism spectrum disorder such as Asperger syndrome. The DSM IV identifies dysgraphia as a "Disorder of Written Expression" as "writing skills (that) ...are substantially below those expected given the person's ...age, measured intelligence, and age-appropriate education."

I am often told my writing looks like it belongs to a 8-9 yr oldkid...

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 7:32 pm

Mdyar wrote:
Quote:
Symptoms of dysgraphia

"""Long post, above"""

Wow, just wow. I had such a flood of childhood memories reading your post. I guess I know why I hated public education for so long, now.

Maje
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 7:34 pm

YellowBanana wrote:
My handwriting ranges from quite neat to utterly illegible. Often in the same sentence. There is no consistency.

Me too! I could never choose which style I should use as we had the choice at school as a child, and now every text that I handwrite look different, like its written from different persons.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

08 Jul 2011, 7:35 pm

I just remembered the times I have read that being left-handed probably causes my terrible handwriting, and I am like, really. Left-handedness causes handwriting so bad it can be diagnosed as a learning disability? I don't think so.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 7:37 pm

I don't usually do that much writing but during extensive job hunting and filling out many applications I had to write more slowly and it seemed like my forearm was starting to cramp.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 7:48 pm

Verdandi wrote:
I just remembered the times I have read that being left-handed probably causes my terrible handwriting, and I am like, really. Left-handedness causes handwriting so bad it can be diagnosed as a learning disability? I don't think so.

Wow, was that author from the south? :P

My dad was ostracized in school for lefty-ness and was forced to write the right way. He ended up the salutatorian in high school, though ....HA HA

Edit: Grade school was in Alabama.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 7:58 pm

Mdyar wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

Wow, was that author from the south? :P

My dad was ostracized in school for lefty-ness and was forced to write the right way. He ended up the salutatorian in high school, though ....HA HA

Edit: Grade school was in Alabama.

I don't know, I've seen it from multiple people, and there's even businesses that sell special-for-left-handed-writers pens, pencils, and other supplies.

My grandmother was forced to write with her right hand in the 1920s in Oklahoma.

Eternity29
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jul 2011, 8:24 pm

If I'm writing notes to myself, it's not legible to others. But if I take the time to write slowly, my writing can be read pretty easily. It just doesn't look that good. Part of it may be that I'm left-handed, I usually smear something.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 3:37 am

even i cant read my handwriting; it's that bad.
also, i alternate between print, capital, 'normal' tilted forward, tilted backward, and 'connected' letters; all in the same word...