Page 2 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

12 Jul 2011, 1:45 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Maybe those people have had bad experience with aspies and it's very unfortunate it made them bitter and critical about us.

Unlikely. Most people carry implicit biases against particular groups because those are the biases society cultivates.

Freak-Z
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jul 2011, 1:47 pm

Not all the time but I can be, usually when people annoy me.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 2:20 pm

I've heard Jack- a few times.

Yes, I have the appearance of self centeredness, and the term has been applied. I'm not, though, as I'll do more and bend over backwards for folks in many ways.

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 2:24 pm

That depends on who you ask. :lol:

If you ask *me*, I'm a sweet, kind, giving, considerate person with a quirky sense of humor and an original outlook on life! 8)

If you ask my *boyfriend*, on the other hand . . . well, you might get different answers depending on when you ask. :oops:

Australien
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jul 2011, 3:28 pm

I am, but only in the same way all humans are. Unfortunately, the general population would find it unpalatable to screen prospective parents for ignorance and low intelligence.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 3:37 pm

I feel that the general population are far more self-centered, selfish asses than I am. I know that people sometimes think it of me, but if that were the case, why would I be constantly trying to please everyone else at the expense of my own mental health?

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 3:44 pm

Basically, people are labeled as self-centered and selfish if they don't immediately recognize and meet the self-centered selfish needs and wants of other people. The people doing the labeling believe that their own self-centered selfish needs and wants are totally apparent to everyone, and anyone who doesn't meet those needs and wants is choosing not to do so and therefore is extremely self-centered and selfish. Not once do they stop to consider whether expecting others to constantly recognize and meet their needs or wants is possibly self-centered and selfish.

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 3:48 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
Basically, people are labeled as self-centered and selfish if they don't immediately recognize and meet the self-centered selfish needs and wants of other people. The people doing the labeling believe that their own self-centered selfish needs and wants are totally apparent to everyone, and anyone who doesn't meet those needs and wants is choosing not to do so and therefore is extremely self-centered and selfish. Not once do they stop to consider whether expecting others to constantly recognize and meet their needs or wants is possibly self-centered and selfish.

*stands and applauds btbnnyr*

Arian
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jul 2011, 3:49 pm

btbnnyr wrote:

:D THIS! :D

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 4:43 pm

Self centered, yes. That's what Autism is.

Selfish? No. They're not the same thing at all.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 5:00 pm

I don't think I am but Edward Edwardian is.

bergie
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jul 2011, 5:07 pm

Not on purpose.

paddy26
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jul 2011, 6:22 pm

yes, I guess I am.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 8:10 pm

btbnnyr wrote:

I absolutely agree. This is true about 80-90% of the time.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 8:20 pm

Only my parents and one brother care about me so as I see it they are the only ones I will not hurt or screw over. When I worked at a resteraunt I had senority over most people when it came to vaction time having 9 years has it's advantages. Since we were a union job I could bump people and take their vaction spot one waitress who use to mock the way I talk had a vaction set up on the board but I noticed the Sci-fi channel had a Logan's Run TV series marathon on and I really wanted to get it all on video tape so I bumped her. She missed her best friend's wedding but hey I really enjoyed having the entire series of Logan's Run on video tape. I told her odds are her friend will get married two or three more times in her lifetime. :wink:

I did the samething to a bus boy he missed someone's birth day so I could watch Robotech: Mospedia marathon I luvs me some invid. I had the whole thing on video back then but they did not need to know that. :wink: :lol:

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 9:00 pm

Todesking wrote:
Only my parents and one brother care about me so as I see it they are the only ones I will not hurt or screw over.<snip>

Well, whatever works for you.