Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

AtticusKane
Toucan
Toucan

24 Aug 2011, 12:17 pm

Your definition of immature must be entirely dependant on social norms and perceptions then; so you must already have your answer.

Sparhawke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2011, 12:23 pm

If playing games is a criteria of being immature then virtually everyone must be immature then.

Almost everyone I know plays games of some type, whether it is poker, bridge, dominos, boardgames with the grandchildren or online computer games.

What would you suppose to be a more "mature" way to spend time for a hobby?

AlexWelshman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2011, 12:59 pm

treeer01 wrote:
Would an Aspie for instance rather play Monopoly than go to a party?
I'd say yes in most case's, especially if it was like a disco party. But I don't think it's paticularly imature to play Monopoly.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 1:21 pm

AlexWelshman wrote:
treeer01 wrote:
I'd say yes in most case's, especially if it was like a disco party. But I don't think it's paticularly imature to play Monopoly.

I hate playing Monopoly. But I hate parties even more so if I had to chose, Monopoly would win.

Knifey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2011, 1:40 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
AlexWelshman wrote:
treeer01 wrote:

I hate playing Monopoly. But I hate parties even more so if I had to chose, Monopoly would win.

ummm... this is nothing to do with normal. if you are introvert you would choose to stay in, if you were extrovert you would go out. this is just.. basic personality differences and the amount of people in the world are pretty equally divided down the middle on that one. if you don't know what introvert and extrovert are then... wow. use Wikipedia.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 1:45 pm

Actually the introversion/extroversion ratio is about 1:4.

AlexWelshman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2011, 1:54 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
AlexWelshman wrote:
treeer01 wrote:

Same here :)

AlexWelshman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2011, 1:56 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
AlexWelshman wrote:
treeer01 wrote:

Same here :)

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 2:11 pm

Years earlier I participated in a forum (other than WP), and when I met some of the members in real life, some said they expected me to be younger, some said the exact opposite. So, I think it is somewhat a matter of personal perception.

However, I think most of the time I come off as immature to my biological age. There is a kind of silliness I exhibit in my behaviour, possibly due to the limit of my coping mechanism, that may contribute to this. On the other hand, people who get to know me better and reach a certain level of EQ see that my IQ/EQ (or whatever) is just amazingly uneven.

I wonder if some of the quirky body movements and inappropriate facial/body expressions or lack thereof that may be attributed to autistic traits could cause a perception of childishness too.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 2:32 pm

So just because I don't go to parties, I'm immature?

I know an NT who's really studious and is studying hard at university and wants to be a teacher, and she doesn't like parties and drinking herself stupid at all. She'd rather stay home and play Monopoly.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 3:14 pm

Knifey wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:
AlexWelshman wrote:
treeer01 wrote:

ummm... this is nothing to do with normal. if you are introvert you would choose to stay in, if you were extrovert you would go out. this is just.. basic personality differences and the amount of people in the world are pretty equally divided down the middle on that one. if you don't know what introvert and extrovert are then... wow. use Wikipedia.

What gives you any idea that I don't know the difference between introversion and extroversion? I said exactly what I meant without any reference to such. I despise Monopoly. I despise parties even more. Note that my expressed disdain for those two activities provides no information as to the origins of that disdain. I could not like parties because of the noise, not the contact with people. I could dislike Monopoly because I find it tedious and boring, even when I have no problem being with the people playing it. Given a choice where I must decide on one or the other, I would chose Monopoly. Given the choice to do what I would like, I would do neither. I would go surfing. Is there something on Wikepedia that might help categorize my choices in this context? What reduces this to the false dichotomy of introversion/extroversion? Especially since the context of this thread in maturity/immaturity?

Jediyoda
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2011, 4:00 pm

I act Immature at times I think we all do. We seem to act Immature in certain stuations we dont understand then tend to be more mature in other situations than others. I tend to associate with older people and have more of a mature adult decent conversation than associating with younger people. Im into history, astronomy, archeology to name a few and rather stay at home and watch Gardening Australia, Time Team or a Jamie Oliver cooking programme. I was always into boring things according to my friends when I was younger I was never into what people my age were into and I sat in the library every lunch hour reading. I rather play Monopoly than socializing at parties, actually I rather play magic the gathering I rather problem solving games I love them.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

24 Aug 2011, 4:23 pm

Immaturity is based solely on the individual, IMO.

AtticusKane
Toucan
Toucan

24 Aug 2011, 6:55 pm

OJani wrote:
Years earlier I participated in a forum (other than WP), and when I met some of the members in real life, some said they expected me to be younger, some said the exact opposite. So, I think it is somewhat a matter of personal perception.

However, I think most of the time I come off as immature to my biological age. There is a kind of silliness I exhibit in my behaviour, possibly due to the limit of my coping mechanism, that may contribute to this. On the other hand, people who get to know me better and reach a certain level of EQ see that my IQ/EQ (or whatever) is just amazingly uneven.

I wonder if some of the quirky body movements and inappropriate facial/body expressions or lack thereof that may be attributed to autistic traits could cause a perception of childishness too.

NOT that my saying so means anything, but yea this pretty much hits the nail on the head I think

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 7:09 pm

Gnerally, I'm very immature. But I have some unbeliavably mature/wise moments as well. Still, if I had to give myself an age based on my behaviour, I would say I'm 13, with a little 50 years-old wisdom included.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 7:21 pm

My maturity ranges from that of a 12 year old to that of someone in the mid twenties.