Does anyone else see colours when their eyes are closed?

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

reddreadred
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Sep 2011, 12:58 pm

Gosh, that wikipedia page portrays it well. I've never used any drugs, either. I especially get the level one "visual snow" quite often while I'm awake with my eyes open. It's annoying and makes me anxious.

kt24
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Sep 2011, 1:14 pm

colours, no
bright light that won't even go away in pitch black, and swirling dots of light, yes.

Not a normal thing then?

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 1:17 pm

Yes! Espicaly in the dark. I see little tiny dots of dotted lines of blue and red. I think this is actualy quite normal. I've heard it is. Something in the eye or brain gets "excited" when it sences black.

safffron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Sep 2011, 1:23 pm

I've seen the colors my whole life. Last night I saw some hypnagogic images as I was drifting off - mostly people and faces. Who are those people and where do they come from?

On the flip side, the hypnopompic experiences I get when waking up have to do with smells and sounds, not visuals.

diniesaur
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 1:54 pm

I usually see visual snow, and sometimes when I stare at something I get to level 2. A lot of times, though, I get up to level 3. I see beautiful patterns. It's different, though, because I can focus them.

Also, when I'm trying to fall asleep my brain naturally makes me see faint eye shapes staring at me really close to my face among the patterns and colors.

Maybe this has to do with autism. I didn't know other people didn't have the patterns, though I knew the eyes were probably out of the ordinary.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 2:38 pm

I have this weird thing on occasion when I'll hear a click and see a brief flash of a black and white checked pattern.

AnonymousPasserBy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Sep 2011, 2:55 pm

Everybody does.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 3:51 pm

I wish people would stop saying this and that is an Aspie thing, unless it fits in to the common symptoms, like going mad over special interests. Random things just pop up on WP, and it's really annoying, unless there's a specific explanation to it that relates to obvious traits. How do you know what NTs see when they close their eyes?

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 4:01 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I wish people would stop saying this and that is an Aspie thing, unless it fits in to the common symptoms, like going mad over special interests. Random things just pop up on WP, and it's really annoying, unless there's a specific explanation to it that relates to obvious traits. How do you know what NTs see when they close their eyes?

I don't think anyone was claiming this is a specifically aspie thing, though I do understand what you are getting at about some of the posts "OMG! My hands are huge! Is that an aspie thing???" "I have real bad sinus trouble, could it be related to my aspergers? I know I'll do a poll!" :lol:

Where else but here could you ask people about seeing colours when you close your eyes?!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 4:12 pm

nemorosa wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

I don't think anyone was claiming this is a specifically aspie thing, though I do understand what you are getting at about some of the posts "OMG! My hands are huge! Is that an aspie thing???" "I have real bad sinus trouble, could it be related to my aspergers? I know I'll do a poll!" :lol:

Where else but here could you ask people about seeing colours when you close your eyes?!

Just saying.
I do see colours when I close my eyes, but I never thought it was an Aspie thing. I just thought it was something you see when you close your eyes.
I remember a few years ago I was with my NT cousin, and we were playing a little game where we close our eyes and tell eachother what colours we see. So NTs must see the same thing aswell.

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 5:25 pm

I believe this is quite normal for everyone, even severely sight impared persons see things such as this.
Rod and cone cells in the eyes become stimulated while we see and don't just shut down the second our eyelids are closed.

AspiringCyborg
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Sep 2011, 5:38 pm

Aimless wrote:
I get that a lot. Sometimes I can change the color by thinking of another color. When I am in a very relaxed alpha state I see complex, colorful moving patterns that are sort of like fractal art. I also see tiny screens with moving action like a cinema. It's always in black and white and always involves a crowd of people moving about. When I try to see it more clearly, it slowly disintegrates. My son who has diagnosed AS says there's a movie behind his eyes.

I get the same thing. I start out visualizing a small 3d pattern that zooms out and begins rotating, becoming a small moving part of a more intricate pattern. It continues to zoom out and right about the time that I can no longer discern the original image, my brain begins to feel overloaded and I usually end up opening my eyes and ending it.

I can also relate to the movie on the back of my eyelids. It actually seems like there is a screen that only takes up part of my field of vision, but the image on it is difficult to see. I didn't think much of it until I realized it was happening even when I hadn't been looking at a TV or computer monitor.

Ellytoad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Sep 2011, 6:42 pm

That happens to me a lot at night as well. I can actually control them.

nikki15
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Sep 2011, 7:12 pm

I experience this, too. I've never asked anyone if they did though.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 4:41 am

AspiringCyborg wrote:
Aimless wrote:
I get that a lot. Sometimes I can change the color by thinking of another color. When I am in a very relaxed alpha state I see complex, colorful moving patterns that are sort of like fractal art. I also see tiny screens with moving action like a cinema. It's always in black and white and always involves a crowd of people moving about. When I try to see it more clearly, it slowly disintegrates. My son who has diagnosed AS says there's a movie behind his eyes.

I get the same thing. I start out visualizing a small 3d pattern that zooms out and begins rotating, becoming a small moving part of a more intricate pattern. It continues to zoom out and right about the time that I can no longer discern the original image, my brain begins to feel overloaded and I usually end up opening my eyes and ending it.

I can also relate to the movie on the back of my eyelids. It actually seems like there is a screen that only takes up part of my field of vision, but the image on it is difficult to see. I didn't think much of it until I realized it was happening even when I hadn't been looking at a TV or computer monitor.

They're beautiful aren't they? BTW welcome to Wrong Planet. :)

SonjaFlye
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Sep 2011, 5:04 am

Yes, I do see colors when eyes closed. Like others, it is green bubbles. :roll: