Page 2 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

KathySilverstein
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Sep 2011, 1:41 am

I'm not sure if you mean quiet vs loud as in how much someone talks or what their voice volume is. My voice is pretty quiet, but I tend to talk a lot. I am definitely a talker. I get along better with other people who also are.

Madao
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Sep 2011, 1:58 am

I'm the quiet type. I guess it's because I tend to over think things. I think faster then I can speak. This is why I find communicating with a computer so much easier.

Mis3ry
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Sep 2011, 2:59 am

Madao wrote:
I'm the quiet type. I guess it's because I tend to over think things. I think faster then I can speak.

^This describes me perfectly :)

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 3:44 am

The most probable explanation is that is indeed a difference between autism (the "quiets") and AS (the "louds") but the diagnostic criterias were redacted so awkwardly that this distinction was lost.

Woodpeace
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Sep 2011, 3:52 am

I am a quiet person.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 3:58 am

Im an quiet aspie 80% of the time, and a loud aspie 20% of the time. Im quiet in most settings. Its only amongst the people Im comfortable around and if people are talking about a topic that interests me. I do have social anxiety so Im very subconscious about my interactions or I dont know what to say or I have trouble incorporating myself in the group. Or sometimes, Im very spaced out and Im disinterested in the social interactions. But its more the 1st reason. If I was NT, I think I'd be fairly outgoing.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 5:45 am

Loud. As said in my video ;)

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 6:15 am

I am a bit of both really.
With my friends I am really loud and bouncey n my voice gets louder n louder.
Though on the same day, when im calm i can be really quiet n not even be noticed n thus not even seam like im interested in the conversation at hand.
I also don't like to approach people.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 6:18 am

liveandletdie wrote:
Anyways....what divides aspies from becoming very talkitive to very reserved?

Another theory that occured me - perhaps "aspiness" amplificates the natural tendency for extroversion or introversion. An extrovert aspie (unlike an extrovert NT) will not note that the other people are not interested in what he was saying, and he will talk on and on.

In contrast, an introvert aspie (unlike an introvert NT) will not note that the other people expect some kind of interaction (even if only symbolic - some "Yes" and "Humm!" said in strategic moments) and will remain totally detached.

[However, my first bet remains that "quiet AS" and "loud AS" are two different things and only have the same label because of an ambigous diagnostic criteria]

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 7:07 am

I was quite talkative as a child. But, even though it took a long time to figure out what I was doing wrong, I came to realize as I got older (once I hit high school age especially) that the less I said, the less mean people were to me. But, at the same time, the number of people that seemed to like me dropped almost as quickly as the number that disliked me.

By my early twenties it got to the point that, other than basic stuff like "excuse me" or "can I get a burger and fries," I would go months without talking to anyone at all. It took a few years of that before I really realized that that was the reason I was missing out on so many things I wanted.

I think that over the last couple years I've reached a pretty good balance between not talking to anyone and talking far too much. Now, I'm working on figuring out what kinds of things it is and isn't okay to say to say to specific people. I tend to offend rather than annoy nowadays.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 10:10 am

I talk loudly sometimes when I get carried away (which I hate myself for).

But otherwise, I am a quiet Aspie. I don't do monologues, and the other person I'm with is always speaking the most (unless they've got some sort of disability what affects their communication in some way), and I don't interrupt either. In fact, NTs interrupt more than I ever do, and when I do interrupt in someone's mid-sentence, I think to myself, ''did I just interrupt? That's not like me!'' and I surprised myself. So yes, I am a very easy Aspie to get along with, for other Aspies, NTs, or anyone else.

I am self-aware, and I suffer with Social Phobia aswell (and an anxiety disorder). So I do well then(!)
But I do wish I was more dominent, but I'm not, and never will be. People overtake me too much, because they know I will agree to everything they say. I don't ask many questions either - I'm mostly just saying ''yeah'' and ''no'' when they're talking (especially if they're the type to natter on and on and you can't get a word in edgeways with them), and I do manage to slip in a few words when I find a gap.

LittleBlackCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Sep 2011, 10:26 am

Definitely loud.

1. Loud as in "talks too much" - my husband says I don't seem to pick up on it when people are not interested in what I am saying, and if they don't respond I just think they haven't heard and repeat myself

and

2. Loud as in "only has one volume setting" - I kind of get away with this most of the time but it becomes a problem if I need to be quieter for any reason, such as being on a campsite at night, or telling someone a secret

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 4:24 am

liveandletdie wrote:
cathylynn wrote:
yup, same reasons as for NT's. i'm an introvert. i recharge by being alone. i'm naturally quiet, as is my NT husband. you might want to check out meyers-briggs personality types. (i'm an INFJ).

there was a post on here awhile ago that was pretty lengthy about that one

i'm intj

wow, intj! you can move mountains according to keirsey and bates, who wrote "please understand me".

DaKing
Toucan
Toucan

01 Oct 2011, 4:56 am

70% quite 30% loud

Quiet wins! :)

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 10:53 am

In response to the OP - I think if it doesn't come naturally, that someone may be influenced in their loudness or reservedness by how they've been treated by others, their family and such, and how they've dealt with it.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 11:22 am

cathylynn wrote:
liveandletdie wrote:
cathylynn wrote:
yup, same reasons as for NT's. i'm an introvert. i recharge by being alone. i'm naturally quiet, as is my NT husband. you might want to check out meyers-briggs personality types. (i'm an INFJ).

there was a post on here awhile ago that was pretty lengthy about that one

i'm intj

wow, intj! you can move mountains according to keirsey and bates, who wrote "please understand me".

i guess i haven't mastered it ><