Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

26 Sep 2006, 6:17 pm

scott wrote:
TheMachine1 wrote:
First before you even entertain the idea you better prove that ASD is as common in
non-Europeans blood lines. Beacuse most Europeans blood lines are in countries with
low birthrates. Evolution loves babies and thats it.

I don't think that is ture. As long as you have a birth rate with a mutation evoultion can still happen.
There has been mutaion in humans in just the past 100 years(including European). I heard that 100 years ago people were shorter and were more muscluar.

(in the future)
I was thinking more on the lines there would be 10 billion NT people living in areas
with low rates of AS. And maybe 10 million aspies living living amoung about 1 billion
NT in European bloodline countries(EBCs. The odds seem very likely that the number of
aspies is very close to the highest number that will ever be and the percent will only
get smaller as birthrates drop in EBCs. Thats great people have this dream but its only a dream.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2006, 6:23 pm

AS has survived a few million years of natural selection I dont think the planet reaching critical population mass will make us extinct :P

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2006, 6:31 pm

Fraya wrote:
AS has survived a few million years of natural selection I dont think the planet reaching critical population mass will make us extinct :P

If it turns out AS is not common in non-EBCs then its unlikely its millions of years old.
Maybe 10,000 to 100,000 more likely.

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2006, 6:49 pm

I suspect that aspergers as we know it may be a fairly recent phenomenon. Anybody please correct any factual errors I make.

No hard facts are available, but it seems that the geographic overrepresentation of asperger's is not biased just toward europe, but far northern europe, this including the idea that far northern europeans, contributed considerable DNA to the British isles and therefore to the countries they colonized.

If this is correct, what would it mean? The last major glaciation ended around ten thousand years ago. I'm assuming that during the height of the glaciation, far northern europe was covered with thousands of feet - ok, metres - of ice, and that nobody could possibly have been living there.

Unless there's something I missed, it seems likely that as the ice receded, the land area of europe became available for human habitation from south to north, with scandinavia being the last place to be populated. This means that the modern people of scandinavia, who may be the aspie seed population, could not have been in scandinavia all that long.

I realize there are aspies who have no obvious genetic connection to scandinavia.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2006, 7:10 pm

CanyonWind wrote:
I suspect that aspergers as we know it may be a fairly recent phenomenon. Anybody please correct any factual errors I make.

No hard facts are available, but it seems that the geographic overrepresentation of asperger's is not biased just toward europe, but far northern europe, this including the idea that far northern europeans, contributed considerable DNA to the British isles and therefore to the countries they colonized.

Hell this is the internet do not let facts get in the way of our fun :)

I'm not sure on my bloodlines but my moms side Irish dads side scotland plus who knows
what elses.

Yeah gene are suspected in ADHD but head injuries can produce ADHD in those with no
family history. So clearily a non-genetic based ASD could exsist. Oh ADHD seems to be
a largely EBC's condition.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2006, 7:23 pm

If Asperger's is a step in human evolution, I am glad to see it!

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

27 Sep 2006, 12:38 am

I just skipped a lot of these posts, I'm too young to start going into this sort of stuff. However, I wonder what life was like for someone with AS in the stone age? Not much social stuff to stuff up except the way you said 'Ug' and how you positioned your monobrow!

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 1:10 am

Id think gesture and body language would have been more important than it is now.

Just because its nonverbal doesnt mean its not communication.

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 1:13 am

^Yes, I know that. That's why I put in the 'how you positioned your monobrow' part!

In a way
We all go there

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 1:18 am

Davidufo wrote:
Nice one

(I think that's more or less saying the same thing, right?
-my latin is a little rusty :wink: )

"Aspergia will stand forever" 8)

'Tis munny in my purse.

Cherokee
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Sep 2006, 3:02 am

CanyonWind wrote:
Hermit raises an important point about the reproductive output of aspies and homosexuals, but the conclusion is less obvious than it appears.

There was never a time when I sat down, thought about it, and decided who I would be attracted to. I believe homo/heterosexuality is innate, quite likely in the genes, so therefore it would be on natural selection's target range.

For some reason I don't understand, it seems that the "gay gene" is remarkably common in modern human populations, considering that it would seem to make it's carriers far less likely to breed. Some heterozygote advantage, maybe, I have no idea.

But it seems possible that some equivalent phenomenon could be perpetuating the "aspie gene."

I don’t know much about genetics but I think people can pass genes on to their kids without using them themselves.

CanyonWind wrote:

I don’t think it’s a recent evolutionary leap, I think it’s just recently diagnosed.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 3:21 am

For Cherokee's first qoute reply, I recently did genetics in Science (despite the fact that it was infinitely boring), and I paid JUST enough attention to learn about reclusive genes. Basically, they hide away and don't show themselves up as often as dominant genes do, but every so often it shows up. It's a bit like throwing a dice; most of the time you'll get 1's to 5's, but sometimes you'll roll a 6. It's how you can get blondes in a completely red-head family without using hair-gel.

For the second qoute reply, I think so too. Remember that going back even as not so long ago as the 1950's, anybody who was different and/or had a rough time ended up on the street with absolutely nothing, and so the chances that anyone back then with AS would've wound up there and be ignored, neglected and rejected by all but the most compassionate people (who weren't commom back then), and this sort of thing would probably have existed ever since unfair reasoning was invented, which means that it goes back to the 1800's, 1700's, the 1600's, Medieval times, and even all the way back to the days of Ancient Rome and Egypt. I'd hate to think what life would've been like for Aspie's back then. I'll try not to think about it.

In a way
We all go there

Corcovado
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 6:07 am

CanyonWind wrote:

If this is correct, what would it mean? The last major glaciation ended around ten thousand years ago. I'm assuming that during the height of the glaciation, far northern europe was covered with thousands of feet - ok, metres - of ice, and that nobody could possibly have been living there.

Unless there's something I missed, it seems likely that as the ice receded, the land area of europe became available for human habitation from south to north, with scandinavia being the last place to be populated. This means that the modern people of scandinavia, who may be the aspie seed population, could not have been in scandinavia all that long.

I realize there are aspies who have no obvious genetic connection to scandinavia.

Actually the ice cap only came as far south as northern Germany.

Before the ice age Denmark were populated by one group, who left. After the ice age a different group came from Germany.

Basically we are germanic. Are language are old-germanic.

The modern population have been here approximately 8-10.000 years, yes.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 6:52 am

CanyonWind wrote:

As far as the Scandinavian theory goes,there may be more to this than is obvious at first.
Some Vikings ('Northmen') mostly from Denmark settled in France and became 'Normans'
who in turn went to other parts of Europe,mainly the British Isles. As Britain and France then colonized all parts of the world including Africa and Asia,this could account for a wider dispersal of any DNA prominent in Aspergers.

I guess we can find that everyone in the world is interconnected in some way if we go back
far enough !

Drakilor
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Sep 2006, 6:54 am

KBABZ wrote:
For Cherokee's first qoute reply, I recently did genetics in Science (despite the fact that it was infinitely boring), and I paid JUST enough attention to learn about reclusive genes. Basically, they hide away and don't show themselves up as often as dominant genes do, but every so often it shows up. It's a bit like throwing a dice; most of the time you'll get 1's to 5's, but sometimes you'll roll a 6. It's how you can get blondes in a completely red-head family without using hair-gel.

For the second qoute reply, I think so too. Remember that going back even as not so long ago as the 1950's, anybody who was different and/or had a rough time ended up on the street with absolutely nothing, and so the chances that anyone back then with AS would've wound up there and be ignored, neglected and rejected by all but the most compassionate people (who weren't commom back then), and this sort of thing would probably have existed ever since unfair reasoning was invented, which means that it goes back to the 1800's, 1700's, the 1600's, Medieval times, and even all the way back to the days of Ancient Rome and Egypt. I'd hate to think what life would've been like for Aspie's back then. I'll try not to think about it.

If I recall correctly, both parents need to carry the reclusive gene for the offspring to catch the red-hairness or whatever feature it presents. It could still become a carrier though.

ooh_choc
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Sep 2006, 7:05 am

Davidufo wrote:
It's a thought, that we are a natural evolutionary development

No, that would require aspies actually having sex.