Had an interesting talk with my dad...

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 7:45 pm

YellowBanana wrote:
I'm impressed that it only took you 15 minutes to get up the nerve to call him ... ! :)
I'm glad you are feeling good after the call.
My dad has some very mild traits but would never be diagnosable. My mum and brother are nowhere near the spectrum ...

heh. I made that call after I had to call my Uncle back for something even worse...expressing proper gratitude! My uncle helped get me a loan so I can go to AFI for my Master's degree, and he called yesterday to discuss the details. I didn't answer when he called, because I wasn't prepared to talk to anyone. I sat stimming for a while, trying to decide to call him, so once I got that out of the way, I was at least still in 'phone mode' to call my dad. Well, as much as I can be in the mood to talk on the phone.

Diagnosed with AS and Anxiety Disorder - NOS on 03/21/2012

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 7:52 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
I'm envious of all you people who have connections with your father. I knew mine for years but never spoke to him. He was a drunken violent d-bag who sent me to school with bleeding belt marks on my face. Well, now that that's out of the way, I wish you good luck with reconnecting with your (possibly aspie) father.

I'm sorry your father treated you that way. My dad was somewhat violent when he was still a drunk. You'd never know he was the same person now as he was then.

My mom, however, was very physically and mentally abusive, so I understand what you went through. Thankfully I'm not inflicted with a need for my 'blood family' to love or care about me, just as I don't feel compelled to care about someone just because they have the same blood as me. My poor NT sister was very traumatized by the abuse, unfortunately.

Last edited by fragileclover on 09 May 2012, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 7:52 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
I wish I coud relate to my dad better, but he's a Narcissistic jackass. I do have a feeling that my Asperger's came from my dad's side of the family, because no one on my mom's side has even a trace of containing a family member with a spectrum or mental disorder.

I'm happy for you. :thumleft:

My mom's a textbook narcissist. Isn't it the worst?

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 7:59 pm

Thanks for all the well wishes, everyone.

While I've never been particularly bothered by not having a relationship with my parents, I totally underestimated how positive it might be if I did have those connections. I know that I'll never have a relationship with my mom, and I'm still ok with that, but now this thing with my dad is making me wonder how it could have been different if my mom was, well, not a narcissist.

It's very interesting to read about all of the family connections. It definitely seems like it's something that's just 'there,' and something specific must trigger or activate it.