Page 2 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

cavendish
Raven
Raven

15 May 2012, 8:00 am

First of all, I would like to see documentation on your claims that 85% of people with Aspergers are unemployed. The most important, of course is, given the huge budget deficits America faces, why should the hard working taxpayers support young people who may be a little weird, but really should be able to do something economically productive? Are you really proposing that many people here should sit around all day, watching TV, playing video games, surfing the Web, and then collect a government disability check?
The good days are over, and the harsh realities of life are staring young people right in the face. Don't expect the economy to get better for a long time. Sharpen up, toughen up, and make yourself useful. Do you really want younger people to pay some psychologist or psychiatrist to give them a diagnosis, however subjective, and then be supported by the government for the rest of your life? It's one thing to come here and complain about the cruel world out there, but don't expect hard working middle aged and older folks to have much sympathy.

Max000 wrote:
cavendish wrote:
Why do you want SSI anyway? Don't you want to go out and be a productive citizen? Is Aspergers that disabling that one can get SSI from it?

Over 85% of Asperger's people are unemployed. Most of the rest are marginally employed with jobs that are probably inadequate to support themselves. So the answer is yes, it is that disabling. Disability should be automatic for anyone suffering from Asperger's.

Second, there are many different ways that people can be productive citizens. Employment is not the only way.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 8:06 am

cavendish wrote:
First of all, I would like to see documentation on your claims that 85% of people with Aspergers are unemployed. The most important, of course is, given the huge budget deficits America faces, why should the hard working taxpayers support young people who may be a little weird, but really should be able to do something economically productive? Are you really proposing that many people here should sit around all day, watching TV, playing video games, surfing the Web, and then collect a government disability check?
The good days are over, and the harsh realities of life are staring young people right in the face. Don't expect the economy to get better for a long time. Sharpen up, toughen up, and make yourself useful. Do you really want younger people to pay some psychologist or psychiatrist to give them a diagnosis, however subjective, and then be supported by the government for the rest of your life? It's one thing to come here and complain about the cruel world out there, but don't expect hard working middle aged and older folks to have much sympathy.

Yes if only everyone with aspergers and other mental disorders would just toughen up and quit letting their symptoms prevent them from holding a job or getting a job then everything would be peachy. :roll: And what's so great about this society that everyone should want to participate in the game anyways?

zombiegirl2010
Toucan
Toucan

15 May 2012, 8:15 am

cavendish wrote:

Max000 wrote:
cavendish wrote:
Why do you want SSI anyway? Don't you want to go out and be a productive citizen? Is Aspergers that disabling that one can get SSI from it?

Over 85% of Asperger's people are unemployed. Most of the rest are marginally employed with jobs that are probably inadequate to support themselves. So the answer is yes, it is that disabling. Disability should be automatic for anyone suffering from Asperger's.

Second, there are many different ways that people can be productive citizens. Employment is not the only way.

Wow, republican much? :roll:

cavendish
Raven
Raven

15 May 2012, 8:57 am

There are so many people out there with more and much more serious conditions than Aspergers. THEY are the ones who deserve a lot of special help from society. It's outrageous that people here expect the taxpayers to support them. America is still the greatest country in the world. Sure, come here every day and interact with others who may share things in common with you, but once you are back in the real world, be prepared to quit your complaining and get down to the serious business of life.

[
quote="Sweetleaf"]

cavendish wrote:

Yes if only everyone with aspergers and other mental disorders would just toughen up and quit letting their symptoms prevent them from holding a job or getting a job then everything would be peachy. :roll: And what's so great about this society that everyone should want to participate in the game anyways?[/quote]

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 9:05 am

cavendish wrote:

Max000 wrote:
cavendish wrote:

I'm trying to be tolerant but I'm getting really sick of your s**t. Other people here might want to debate with you but when I see some as*hole who doesn't know even the most basic facts come to an autism forum to tell them they're lazy parasites who drain the system debate isn't at the top of my list. This is a forum for people who are struggling in ways you can't even understand, they are here for help and are stronger than you'll ever be just based on the fact that every hour of every day is a struggle yet they don't give up. If you want to help stay, if you want to continue subjecting these people to the ignorance this forum is supposed to be their sanctuary from you can go f**k yourself.

Quote:
This issue is exacerbated by the limited potential of young
adults and adults (14 years of age and older) with autism
to become employed. Unemployment rates for adults with
autism hover around 90 percent – largely a result of their
social challenges, lack of training and on-the-job supports
(21). By comparison, 67 percent of adults with disabilities
are unemployed. Further, the SSI benefit system, which
provides benefits to this population, significantly limits the
amount a qualified beneficiary can earn, further crippling
their ability to maintain themselves financially.

www.autismcenter.org/documents/openingdoorsprint.pdf

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 9:06 am

cavendish wrote:
There are so many people out there with more and much more serious conditions than Aspergers. THEY are the ones who deserve a lot of special help from society. It's outrageous that people here expect the taxpayers to support them. America is still the greatest country in the world. Sure, come here every day and interact with others who may share things in common with you, but once you are back in the real world, be prepared to quit your complaining and get down to the serious business of life.

That depends on the severity of the Aspergers....there are different severity levels, so yes there are people with worse issues then someone with maybe mild Aspergers has. I am not talking about those people I am talking about people who are actually unable to hold a job due to their mental disorder being severe enough to interfere. Those people do need help.....I mean if anything the view that mental issues aren't real and can't really interfere should die because all it does is stigmatize those with mental conditions.

I myself have PTSD(that's gotten quite severe) anxiety, and depression with my aspergers......because of these issues I couldn't even handle two classes at a community college, I was applying for work but am considering SSI now due to realizing just how bad the PTSD has gotten. I don't see how I could function on a job. So yeah I expect a little bit of help.......as in this society you can't really live on $0 dollars not to mention its this society that stigmatizes those of us with mental illnesses/conditions so what do we owe a society that has no place for us?

Also america being the greatest country in the entire world is an opinion, not a fact...

luvntiedye
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2012, 9:34 am

Something to take into consideration is that we are all differing shades, if you will, of Autistic. Asperger's isn't a disabling thing 100% of the time, as is my case. I am a high-functioning individual who holds down a good job, but of course, I found my niche, and most of my coworkers don't mind my eccentricity as long as I do my work well. Heck, I even work with the public! Of course, it's a little comical sometimes. No it isn't easy, and a lot of days I go home all overstimulated and have to do odd things to get rid of the stress; but it's worthwhile! I know I have contributed to the world something positive.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 9:39 am

luvntiedye wrote:
Something to take into consideration is that we are all differing shades, if you will, of Autistic. Asperger's isn't a disabling thing 100% of the time, as is my case. I am a high-functioning individual who holds down a good job, but of course, I found my niche, and most of my coworkers don't mind my eccentricity as long as I do my work well. Heck, I even work with the public! Of course, it's a little comical sometimes. No it isn't easy, and a lot of days I go home all overstimulated and have to do odd things to get rid of the stress; but it's worthwhile! I know I have contributed to the world something positive.

Well I would be jumping up and down with joy if all I had was Aspergers.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 9:43 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
luvntiedye wrote:

Well I would be jumping up and down with joy if all I had was Aspergers.

I'd bring a trampoline and join you.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 9:43 am

cavendish wrote:

It shocks me that you would judge so many people that you have not even met. Also that you would assume no one here is hard working.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 9:45 am

*duplicate post*

Last edited by Rascal77s on 15 May 2012, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 9:47 am

Not sure what happened, server did something weird and posted my reply 3 times.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 11:01 am

jonny23 wrote:
cavendish wrote:

It shocks me that you would judge so many people that you have not even met. Also that you would assume no one here is hard working.

It's exactly that sort of disgusting stigma....that half the time contributes to peoples problems. There is a reason that a lot of times poverty and mental conditions go together......having a mental disorder like autism for instance makes it more difficult to play the 'game' and people who don't play the game get ostracized and judged, well all that can have detrimental effects on ones development and their ability to cope with things.

But then its not their symptoms or inability to function normally that is causing difficulties in finding employment or an inability to work to the expectations and thus getting fired or not hired at all. They are just lazy....and the mental illness is a punishment from god :roll: At least that seems to be the sort of logic used for such ignorance.

Oh and to clarify I am not saying autism is a mental illness......I am referring the stigma that goes with mental illnesses, conditions disorders ect, so my wording may not be the most specific but the point is both mental illnesses and mental conditions(that aren't nessisarily what one calls mental illnesses) seem to still have stigma and to me that is a major problem with society as someone should not be stigmatized and dismissed as 'lazy' for having a mental illness or condition that interferes with their functioning.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 11:05 am

Rascal77s wrote:
Not sure what happened, server did something weird and posted my reply 3 times.

it's done that to me more than once.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 12:31 pm

scubasteve wrote:
Max000 wrote:
Over 85% of Asperger's people are unemployed.

[citation needed]

:arrow: Google: "85% unemployment for aspies" About 8,270 results

Is that enough citation for you?

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 1:07 pm

zombiegirl2010 wrote:
cavendish wrote:

Max000 wrote:
cavendish wrote:

Wow, republican much? :roll:

:thumright: Bingo. Maybe by "productive citizens" they mean joining the military and becoming "productive" killing machines for the Republican's four trillion dollar ($4,000,000,000,000) war against Iraq.