Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 7:51 pm

Quote:
As for a lot of IQ tasks not being classic verbal or spatial tasks, I tend to feel that my NVLD is shown best not by my VIQ/PIQ difference but by my Vocabulary subscore vs. my Perceptual Organization subscore. While, my VIQ is 17 points greater than my PIQ, my Vocab score is 35 points greater than my Perceptual Organization score. My VIQ really should be higher, because I suck at the arithmetic portion and Digit Span. And my PIQ is only in the high average range because of my very high score on Symbol Coding/Processing Speed and the fact that Matrices aren't timed.

Heh. Yeah, your profile is almost identical to mine with the exception of my processing speed, which fell in the "average" range, and the matrices, which was my lowest PRI subtest.

My worst scores were in "Working Memory (total score = 77)."

Quick question: what's "perceptual organization?" Is that not on the WAIS-IV?

Thanks for your time.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2012, 7:18 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
Quick question: what's "perceptual organization?" Is that not on the WAIS-IV? Thanks for your time.

Perceptual organization is one of the subscores. It's not a test in and of itself. I forget what all is used to calculate it besides block design. I believe picture completion? I did horribly on both of those. :lol: I was happy that my IQ test just confirmed what I always knew. It is NOT normal to score in the very gifted range for processing speed and vocabulary and in the average range for Perceptual Organization. :roll: I am just lucky that my PIQ is still in the high-average range; that is the only reason that I have been able to complete such courses as organic chemistry and calculus (albeit with great difficulty). If I didn't have my memory to compensate, I don't think I would have possibly gone undiagnosed as long as I did. I fell through the cracks because of how I always was in the honors-level math classes. The teachers all saw my visual-spatial difficulties (algebra is the only math I'm good at), but since I still would get "A"s and "B"s overall, they just ignored it. :roll:

Nash: Is there a difference?

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 11:57 am

How is NVLD diagnosed anyhow i know it has something to do with Performance IQ and VIQ but the last iq test that was given to me didnt have a performance IQ it had a like four defferent categorys Verbal Comprehension (VCI)
Perceptual Reasoning (PRI),Working Memory (WMI), and Processing Speed (PSI) ?

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

10 Nov 2013, 4:29 am

Quote:
How is NVLD diagnosed anyhow i know it has something to do with Performance IQ and VIQ but the last iq test that was given to me didnt have a performance IQ it had a like four defferent categorys Verbal Comprehension (VCI)
Perceptual Reasoning (PRI),Working Memory (WMI), and Processing Speed (PSI) ?

I realize this is over a year old but...

With NVLD, the performance IQ is generally lower than the verbal IQ. I was diagnosed when I was 20 with NVLD and my Verbal Comprehension Index was higher than my Perceptual Reasoning Index (there was a 25 point difference). My Working Memory and Processing Speed were also pretty low.

How my diagnosis came about was due to the fact that I was given three psychological tests given by a clinical psychologist. They were the Rey complex figure, a block design test, and a verbal intelligence test. It took him a while to figure out the diagnosis.

Gamer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Jan 2014, 9:42 pm

I've been trying to unlock the mysteries of my brain for a while. By several psychologists, I have been tested well above average on both VIQ and PIQ, including working memory. However, another psychologist gave me a different test, where I had to navigate a 3d road and then was asked questions on where things were. I flunked this horribly. I was also given a test where I had to memorize dozens of symbols, also failing miserably.

How does this attribute to nonverbal learning disorder? I suspect that I am using the left side of my brain to still perform well on the PIQ. This makes sense, since I verbalize a lot of information I see visually. It is much harder to do this on a 3d map. In other words, I probably still have NLD, although you'd never know on an IQ test alone.

I am also very good at arithmetic, but I tend to vocalize this in my mind as well. I heard that most visualize the numbers.

Also, there are test that measure complex working memory, or the ability to process information while simultaneously holding a different set of information in memory. For example, trying to solve math problems while remembering the names of animals presented sequentially. I heard people with AS will also do bad on this, since people who are good at this tend to use both hemispheres.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 11:02 pm

yes, some doctors in the hospital thought i had it because i was having trouble in school when Aspergers people usually do not, but after some tests it re-confirmed my Autism,

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 11:29 pm

It all seems quite messy and complicated, the links between NVLD and AS. I am diagnosed with AS. I can relate to some of the characteristics of NVLD however my Performance IQ is 16 points higher than my Verbal IQ.

Gamer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Jan 2014, 11:32 pm

Has anyone ever tried physical exercise to improve ability relating to the right hemisphere? It seems the research on this for those with AS are nonexistent, but it does seem to help those with ADHD improve their performance IQ, and ADHD may have some genetic overlap with AS.

People with AS, mood disorders, ADHD, and anxiety disorders tend to have asymmetrical cognitive profiles, usually VIQ being higher than PIQ, and spatial WM and some other executive functions being low in all of these. Physical activity has been shown to close this gap in those with mood disorders or ADHD. Plus, those who carry a common genetic variant, the BDNF met/met or val/met allele, found in about 30% of the population, tend to experience faster age related cognitive decline if they don't exercise, usually first in areas associated with the right hemisphere. When I see someone who gets depression or anxiety in their 30s, the first thing I wonder is if they have late-onset ADHD.

After getting tested, I started engaging in daily aerobic exercise. I certainly feel like I am less forgetful, and I seem to remember where I put things better, but I can't say this is due to placebo or a genuine effect. Has anyone heard of research on this with individuals with AS?