What Is Pathological About "Playing With Parts of Objec

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 4:31 am

As a child I had to take everything apart and know how it worked. I would get hold of tools and systematically disassemble my toys to see why they did what they did. I don't know if I obsessed over particular parts of objects but I was probably more interested in understanding their functions than I was in just playing with them as-is. Eventually, this led to me garbage picking things just to bring them home and dismantle them and try to fix them. I had a particular affinity for lawn mowers and bicycles and taught myself small engine repair at 11 years old. I'm probably more detail focused today than I was then but I really can't be certain as it was a long time ago. No matter what though, I had to fiddle with things and try to make them work better. Even today, this is far more enjoyable for me than hanging out with other people who are not working on some sort of project. I have even been known to fix a major appliance during a party as I found it more fun than socializing with the other guests. Does this sound like an asperger's trait or am I just weird?

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 4:43 am

One thing I remember doing as a kid, possibly a lot, was sitting on the back porch with different containers of water pouring water back and forth between different containers.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 9:58 am

I find the term "inappropriate" to be stigmatizing, as if the person is fapping with it or what not... Can't they use the term "unconventional" instead? It makes me think the terms are used in order to draw more profits for Big Pharma. Soon, every action will be deemed pathological.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 10:06 am

PixelPony wrote:
DrPenguin wrote:
Would say nothing unless its part of a person or animal, playing with someones kidney...possibly psychotic or scientific.

P.S. I agree everyone likes spinning toy car tires, do think every bloke likes doing that, never saw a woman do it though.

You weren't around me growing up. It was all about how things worked. "Normal" play with toys didn't happen until after I understood the toy to my satisfaction. Even then, I'd delve back into the fiddly bits. Or disassemble and reassemble. Got in a fair bit of trouble for turning a cousin's handful of GI Joes into a couple of Franken-Joe monsters with way too many limbs.

Ah yes, many a Joe had been destroyed/reconfigured when I was a child. I personally enjoyed putting arms where legs were supposed to go and swapping heads.

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 10:18 am

Blownmind wrote:
Ettina wrote:
What they are talking about is playing with the parts instead of playing with the whole thing. For example, if given a toy car, an NT child will typically put it to the ground and make 'vroom vroom' sounds, while an autistic kid might start spinning the tires. So the NT child is relating to the object as a 'car', while the autistic kid is relating to it as 'tires'.

Spinning the tires of a toy car to see how long they spin...repeatadly, come on, everyone does that..? :roll:

I don't know about everyone, but I did that. However, I also played with cars the "normal way".

Callista explains it well - thanks.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 11:07 am

I wonder if an autistic child was pushing a car back and forth and also spinning the wheels on it, would the parents and doctors leave that alone?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 12:18 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I wonder if an autistic child was pushing a car back and forth and also spinning the wheels on it, would the parents and doctors leave that alone?

You know, pushing the car back and forth DOES spin the wheels...