Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

treblecake
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jul 2012, 8:37 am

I think I have what you call verbal stims. As a kid whenever I heard certain words I would go through the alphabet replacing the first letter of the word with every letter in the alphabet and I'd loop it in my head so much that I couldn't resist the urge of saying it out loud so I could 'feel' the word.
I also made up songs with words that felt nice to say, especially names of famous people (actually the other day i made up a song using the names of Russian composers). I guess I cope with these verbal stims and or whatever they are by letting myself say them really quietly before they build up to the point where I blurt them out.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 12:30 pm

Grunting... though I wonder if it was initially a way of checking to see if my voice existed after corrective surgery to remedy deafness.

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 12:47 pm

Undxed. I do this. I'll often repeat what someone said (under my breath so it's extra creepy). I don't want to, but it just happens. Sometimes I say what I"m thinking outloud which leads to issues at work. This mostly applies to numbers so that doesn't help with any passcodes I might have to input (since they are secret and not to be shared). I've learned that if I focus, I won't do it. Other times if I'm initiating a task, I'll say it as I start. Like if I'm headed to the bathroom. I'll say "gotta go pee... pee.. pee.." That one gets me lots of friends. It's easier when it's something like "buying bananas..." when I was a kid I used to hum everytime I ate the entire time I ate. My parents used to ride me about it but I couldnt' stop. I eventually managed to stop when I was in college... if I'm not watching I still do it though. My husband has caught me humming while eating a couple of times.

My daughter (undxed, but in the process of being evaluated) makes lots of clicking, popping, and clucking sounds with her tongue. She also repeats what she says several times in a row even if we indicate that we heard her or asks the same question several times in a row even if she recieves an answer. like... "mommy what's 4 plus 4?" "eight" "but whats 4 plus 4" "eight" whats 4 plus 4 mommy?" "I told you already, 8" "oh...." OR "mommy, look at my drawing" "It's pretty." "mommy, look at my drawing" "you did a good job" "Mommy, did you see my drawing?" "yes dear I told you I did" "Oh..." ... I don't know if that counts.. is that typical of AS or HFA? I've been wondering about this behavior.