Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 5:26 pm

I' m good at figuring out animals too. I can relate to them much better than to humans.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 7:48 pm

I can relate a lot to animals. I suppose I can be more like an animal than a human at times, particularly since it feels like, at times, that I have the flight-fight-freeze system of a prey animal. I can't identify with one particular animal, but I've always had people (99% of the time it's my parents) who will give me horse objects.

I am a horse on the Chinese Zodiac, too. :D

LizNY
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Feb 2013, 9:23 pm

patdbunny wrote:
Ha! Ha!
My husband's (NT) "ah ha" moment was when I told him I'm like a horse. I have a hard time making correlations/intuitive deductions that two scenarios are the "same". I have to discuss details ad nauseum to come to the conclusion that they're the "same" despite differing facts.

Let me explain. When you work with a horse, you have to teach it through repetition and experience that assorted fences are all okay - a white fence is ok, a blue fence is ok, a wood slat fence is ok, a 4 ft fence is ok, a 6 ft fence is ok, etc. Sometimes it's hard for a horse to realize a white picket 4 ft fence is the same as a 6 ft high black iron fence. After a lot of repetition and experience the horse eventually can lump together "most of these things that look similar are fences" and to no longer be alarmed by new types of fences. Even then, sometimes they'll get hung up on a "new" fence that seems different from all the other fences they've come across and still freak out.

Anyone?

yes, horses often have trouble generalizing. they often react with fear to subtle changes and differences, which should be greatly decreased through training.

Yes I hav an awful time generalizing, which is much more complicated than a horse's startled and potentionally fearful response to differences in their environment. It often feels the opposite where I don't see the differences and go along like nothing is different at all until things go horribly wrong.

Last edited by LizNY on 08 Feb 2013, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 9:29 pm

jdbob wrote:
I'm definitely not hung like a horse.

I hope you're at least hung like a shetland pony otherwise my sympathies go out to you.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 10:38 pm

i LOVE animals, except horses and cats, they scare me :( so does the dark, toilets and bugs.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 11:37 pm

When i was young i was in a theraputic horseback riding program and rode for over 8 years, so i understand the made Horse metaphor :D

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 12:44 am

Mdyar wrote:
patdbunny wrote:
Ha! Ha!
My husband's (NT) "ah ha" moment was when I told him I'm like a horse. I have a hard time making correlations/intuitive deductions that two scenarios are the "same". I have to discuss details ad nauseum to come to the conclusion that they're the "same" despite differing facts.

Let me explain. When you work with a horse, you have to teach it through repetition and experience that assorted fences are all okay - a white fence is ok, a blue fence is ok, a wood slat fence is ok, a 4 ft fence is ok, a 6 ft fence is ok, etc. Sometimes it's hard for a horse to realize a white picket 4 ft fence is the same as a 6 ft high black iron fence. After a lot of repetition and experience the horse eventually can lump together "most of these things that look similar are fences" and to no longer be alarmed by new types of fences. Even then, sometimes they'll get hung up on a "new" fence that seems different from all the other fences they've come across and still freak out.

Anyone?

A tad.

It looks what you've posted here is the "weak central coherence" problem in Autism..... Everything is unrelated and you have work out the relationships yourself. The analogies are not obvious.

One of my peeves is knowing or relating to people in one environment ( as in only one set of circumstances), and then suddenly meeting up in a different setting. I then lose my social coherence. It's a though you are starting from scratch......scary and weird.

I have a tincture of it and it crosses over into non-social common sense things. My mother used to say: " Everyday seems like it's your first day on Earth." :lol:

Funny you said that about social situations, l notice l do the same thing only after reading that. Even with family o_O

BUT, l would say in general this is a lack of associative thinking which is pretty apparent in one group of ASers, and not the other IME.

Seems like it'd be an issue with left brain dominant Aspies, the left brain doesn't connect many dots, the focus is more on learning through repetition and although anyone can benefit from that, it'd be one's only option if they lack right brain activity to a strong degree.

And l was also going t say that you generally don't seem to be that type. l've had conversations here with you that l related to A LOT. You seem like more of the spaced out-theorizing, abstracting type to me xD

Anyway l remember that you have ADHD too ::insertstalkericonhere:: but you have reminded me of myself. l'm starting to think there's a continuation with one manifestation of ADHD being a more spaced out version of Asperger's.

HDTV...

Whatever.