What do people NOT understand about you the most?

Page 2 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

keira
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 3:46 pm

My sense of humour; that I like to be alone sometimes; that I just don't like parties and lots of socializing, but mostly why some simple things (like making a phone call) are so difficult to me and cause that much anxiety.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 3:53 pm

My anti-social tendencies or perceived anti-social tendencies. I can hold a really good 1 to 1 conversation with someone but I don't know how to make spontaneous small talk with groups of people. I appear to close myself off and not really say hi much. Its perceived as rude. Its taken my own psych quite a bit of explaining how I dont know how to act spontaneously. People think Im overly shy and nervous a lot of the time. And well i am but wouldn't most people get overly shy and nervous after spending there entire lifetimes not knowing how to interact spontaneously and being aware and jealous of this innate NT ability?

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 4:45 pm

Probably that just because they think we are friends doesn't necessarily mean we really are.

Isn't friendship supposed to be a two way thing?

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 5:03 pm

My need to live my life alone.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 2:05 am

That there are some things that I legitimately CANNOT do, do not feel comfortable doing, and never WILL feel completely comfortable doing because of my anxiety.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

Scandium
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Orange County, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Cluster

06 Nov 2012, 2:49 am

ColdEyesWarmHeart wrote:
I don't show emotion easily and I'm told I have an expressionless face (and cold eyes). People think I'm unfeeling and unfriendly, and they say I look scary as they can't read me.

"Why did you make funny faces at me?"

baodi wrote:
People sometimes think I am cold and uncaring, because I am not good at making conversation.

-Actual conversation between my cousin and her friend-
Friend: Is he mad at me?
Cousin: No, he always looks like that.

Joe90 wrote:
My sensory issue with loud sudden noises like barking dogs.

"Oh, come on. It's not that bad."

Fnord wrote:
I have feelings, and that they matter to me.

My mom: I'm worried. But you, you just don't care. You don't care about anything.

Logicalmom wrote:
Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it isn't 'in me'.

-Actual "conversation" in my sophomore year of high school-
Classmate A: Hey, do you talk?
Me: Yes.
Classmate A: Whoa! He talked!
Classmate B: He actually talked!?

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 3:26 am

Several times, people thought I didn't like them right after I met them, which in most cases, was not at all true. I guess they thought that because it takes me a long time to get comfortable around new people. Until I get used to them, I barely talk to them at all. Even with the people I do really like, I'm not very talkative :lol:

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

Threore
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Nov 2012, 4:31 am

That forcing me into social situations won't help me grow over my inability to deal with them, and will instead just cause me to completely shut down afterwards.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 5:18 am

The cruelest aspect of Asperger's, for me, is people think I want to be alone.

EQ: 6.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 6:47 am

If I'm making facial expressions while eating, please ignore them. I'm just trying to focus on getting the food in.

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 1:15 am

vanhalenkurtz wrote:
The cruelest aspect of Asperger's, for me, is people think I want to be alone.

I often do genuinely WANT to be alone. But not 24/7. I want to socialize some, but not nearly as much as most people. It would probably be hell for me if I had zero friends, but I'd be very happy with just ONE very good friend, whether or not "girl" is tacked onto the beginning of the word "friend."

I actually find it more annoying when people assume I'd enjoy a party full of 100+ decibel music and 90+ degree temperatures from the sheer biomass crammed into a small space! There is an upcoming party at my school, which I will show up early to so I can actually TALK TO SOME PEOPLE before it gets too crowded and loud for any kind of meaningful conversation!

AQ: 33

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 7:47 am

Moondust wrote:
That I'm not displaying my aspie traits on purpose to hurt others.

I second that one. I got an exam back for a course and got 100%. I proceeded to tell everyone how easy it was and how disappointed I would have been with anything less. Of course, I never realized how anyone could take that as insulting them as I was just speaking my honest opinion.

shyengineer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Nov 2012, 8:54 am

I appear to be an a***hole who hates you.

A_floating_moon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Nov 2012, 9:11 am

They don't get that I'm not constantly thinking "I hope I don't mess up in this social situation!". They don't understand that I sometimes just feel aloof and hyper focused and anxious and that I can't just "relax and stop worrying". MAYBE I'm worrying about what other people think subconsciously or something, but I somehow don't think this is what they think I'm doing. Social things are so easy for most everyone else, so I'm sure they haven't experienced the same thing.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 9:12 am

They don't seem to get it that hating racism does not make a person racist.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 9:34 am

People don't understand my emotional state, unless I spell it out, with bells on, by which time my emotions will have come to the surface and I'll go over the top. I appear to be stuck with my emotions inside, overwhelming, as they are, at times. So, everyone seems to think I don't have a care in the world and have no reason to have any worries either. Strangely, I'm always aware of everyone else's emotional state (just don't know why they're feeling like that).