As an aspie what do you do for a living?

Page 2 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 5:58 pm

I detail cars at a luxury dealership.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 6:07 pm

prep-cook now but am training to be a baker so hopfully that will change

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 6:13 pm

I am an accountant. And yes, it is one of my interests. However, my real interest would be in having an airship and using it as a home. I would be a hermit travelling around the world.

Sorry for this terrible joke, by the way.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 6:14 pm

Disability pension that's directly attributed to being an "aspie".

Dizzee
Toucan
Toucan

02 Dec 2012, 6:19 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Disability pension that's directly attributed to being an "aspie".

You serious?

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 6:30 pm

My last job was in a bookshop. I love books. But I haven't worked for 5 years after I quit due to having a bit of a breakdown. I do want to work again, but I'm not sure what to do. I am afraid whatever I do I will fail at again. If I could do anything it would be to do with religion or animals. Maybe a vicar for dogs.

babybuggy32
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2012, 6:30 pm

i stock shelves/deal with bargain shoppers. i wish this was an interest! :wink:

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 6:33 pm

Dizzee wrote:
You serious?

Since when has placing AS next to a disability pension been seen as something to be questioned?

(Over half of all adults with AS are unemployed directly due to the AS.)

Dizzee
Toucan
Toucan

02 Dec 2012, 6:38 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Dizzee wrote:
You serious?

Since when has placing AS next to a disability pension been seen as something to be questioned?

(Over half of all adults with AS are unemployed directly due to the AS.)

Depends on the laws in your country actually.

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 7:22 pm

I am a parking officer at my local university. It was not my original chosen profession. I was an art student at that university. Finished my degree and tried to do illustration on freelance contracts. Freelance illustration was a very difficult thing for me to do for a wide variety of reasons. I took parking enforcement job as supplementary income. Supplementary income turned into 35 hour/week sole income over the course of five years.

Oddly enough, I like that job. It plays well with both my strengths and weaknesses. Very limited interaction with people, am not on my feet all day (I mostly drive my patrol jeep), meticulous attention to detail encouraged. It doesn't pay very well but it is a job I can do without nervous breakdown -which has happened a couple times in previous jobs-. So I stay.

edit---- also, since this is ASD specific forum, I should mention: I did not know I had AS when I applied for this job. My boss still does not know. I probably won't tell him unless a situation comes up where he really would need to know that information.

edit 2---- my special interest is fiction novels. parking job does allow some downtime during which I read my books.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 10:06 pm

Dizzee wrote:
Depends on the laws in your country actually.

England, US and Oz include AS as disabilities (these I know). Though with saying that, specific disorders aren't a qualifier for a disability pension in the same (though you'll need to have some label that brings you there to begin with), rather your actual level of impairment.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 10:15 pm

Hoping to get on disability or SSI specifically.....but not just for the AS, though that is part of the issue when it comes to working. Maybe eventually I can get a job at a head shop or something similar.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 12:19 am

SSDI covers my rent and Internet, EBT covers my food. I was repairing/restoring vintage pedal mopeds on a house call basis and that took a back seat while I fixed Chinese scooters at a place that kept dicking me around on paying me properly, so I'll be getting my Craigslist ads buried some time this week :P

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 12:35 am

polo6068 wrote:
i'm just curious to hear what many people with Asperger's syndrome do as an occupation, do you do a job that is heavily involved in your special interest or not?
what is your special interest? just curious

I work as a janitor and cleaning isn't my special interest but it's something I can do. My special interests keep on changing and none of them will give me a career in it except autism.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

Ca2MgFe5Si8O22OH2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2012, 5:28 am

I did night shift at a hotel for a while and that seemed to work, but my stress has been getting worse lately and I'm unemployed and just moved back in with my parents. I'm also just now in the process of being formally diagnosed, and my therapist has brought up going on disability so I can be independent and have health insurance until I get get through school and do something with IT and/or academic research. I function above-average in academic settings when my social anxiety is under control, but retail has resulted in me being so stressed I have seizures and paralysis and suicidal breakdowns.

I'd really like to go through this program and continue with their masters degree and do the philology of Mahayana literature but I need something that will pay the bills first.

Conversion Disorder, General/Social Anxiety Disorder, Major Depression

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 9:13 am

I do post-production closed captioning for a religious TV facility. I have been at it for 15 years and am heartily sick of it but I don't interview well and I've got a lot of vacation days and bonus time built up. And it does tie into a past special interest in history (pardon the pun!) and languages.

I tried to turn my knitting into a paying venture, but I only like to knit what I like to knit, so I don't do things just for sales. If I did that, I'd have to make the same things over and over. Besides, I'd be appalled if I made something, sold it, and then later found out it unravelled.