Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2013, 3:06 am

BookPerson wrote:
That's interesting, I had a very similar experience as a child too - though not with the same end results. I also struggle with speaking/writing too formally, although it's generally when I'm talking to/writing someone that I don't know. Is it the same way with you?

I haven't really stopped to analyze it before, but I think I tend to use it somewhat defensively, if that makes sense--as if I'm trying to disassociate or distance myself from a particular situation. In those instances, I use more advanced language and somewhat unusual turns of phrase.

Even in general conversation, I tend to be more proper in my use of spoken language. I remember when I was 4 or 5 years old I told a family member about how I like to clearly annunciate what I'm saying--for instance, I'd make sure to say "going" as opposed to "gonna". I'm not quite as precise when it comes to pronunciation as I was when I was younger, though.

A semi-related question: How many of you find that you try to be over-precise while writing or speaking, sometimes to the detriment of clarity? I know I do at times.

Ascagne
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Jan 2013, 6:53 am

Quote:
Is it common for Aspies to use language in a different manner than NTs

My natural writing manner is kind of Proustian. It's further reinforced by the fact I read quasi constantly academic/universitary works, and exigent literary works (many using long or convoluted sentences, or being from precedent centuries - when it's not in latin or in ancient greek, of course). Normal for a student in literature in his 6th year of study. But the encounter of these two elements can make me sound arcane to the "normal" human being.
I have an odd way of speaking too. I don't know if I have AS, but it seems quite aspergian.
1 / I don't really like to speak - not to communicate. The oral aspect seems interesting to me when it comes to the phonesthetics, as Tolkien would say - the beauty of the pronounced words, and the musicality (I'm very fond of music). I like to speak in a surrealist and/or in a poetic manner, without concern for the meaning.
2 / I don't really speak much, which can be a problem. Comparing to a normal person, I would be seen as quasi mute on an ordinary day. I speak mostly when I'm with my family (I haven't really had the opportunity to speak to real friends for some time, now).
3 / Thus it will not seem surprising if I say my speaking can seem unnatural. Writing, or using oral language as a poetic tool rather than a communicative one, comes first to me. And writing is 300% more "natural" and easy for me, while oral expression can be a plight, even in academics (I've done some oral examinations where I would have passed for an idiot while I was at the top of my prépa promotion, and others where I had incredible marks, but I don't seem to find a "juste milieu" a middle ground between these two extremes). Some comrades have said in my school and university history that I can use words "nobody utters", which is pretty funny (but there are in French fantastic old / little-used words that should be re-used, but French people are more preoccupied with the recuperation of some English trendy words that are often not the most beautiful of this language...). :lol:
Moreover, I'm not a great fan of common language (whether in French or other tongues). Sure, it has its strange beauty and its picturesqueness, but it seems to me that the bad aspects (lack of correction, a kind of ugliness sometimes) outweigh the good ones. My ears and my brain bleed when I hear profanities and vulgarities ; I never use them and I'm quite OCD and tyrant-like when it comes to preclude my entourage to use or utter them. Thus I would not say that I'm actually very formal in my speech, but it's quite sure that I am very remote from the way normal people speak in some domains. Also, given all that, I'm not in the slightest preoccupied by the "cool" trends in speaking, and wasn't in my adolescence.
4 / In what regards foreign languages, it' the same thing as in my mother tongue, I guess. But I'd just add that, even though I seem to have a very good pitch ability in music, it's not the same when it comes to pronunciation, even in French.

Matto

11 Jan 2013, 9:34 pm

I always use onomatopoeia in regular context, like saying "Sigh," when I'm bored, or "Groan!" when I'm irritated. I don't remember when I started, but I still do it.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 9:45 pm

Yes,and I am going to have fun with it this term in the Philosophy of Language :D

InnaLucia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jan 2013, 9:46 pm

I think I speak fairly normally, probably better than some people but nothing out of the ordinary. I do tend to use more words than other people, especially on the bus, e.g someone else might say "town please" and I would say "can I have a single to the bus station please?"